OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Which manual locking hubs to buy?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which manual locking hubs to buy?

Hi everyone,
    I have recently replaced my Nissan autohubs with a pair of aftermarket manual locking hubs. The reason for this is the Nissan ones were getting old and beginning to play up. I chose manual hubs because I am of the understanding they are stronger than the genuine Nissan autohubs. Whether I'm right or wrong is not the topic of discussion this thread will be about.
    After only 2 four wheel driving day trips involving river crossings (something I have done many a time before changing hubs) I have found that water has worked it's way in and made a mess of both my front wheel bearings (which I'd personally checked and confirmed we're in good nick at the time of the hub changeover).
    Being rather frustrated, my mate and I disassembled one of the aftermarket manual hubs to find the O-Ring at the locking switch (at the very front of the hub) was not robust enough to hold back water in any practical way.
    Has anybody else had this issue with aftermarket manual locking hubs? Have you mitigated the issue by installing a better sealing O-Ring?
    If not, then which brand of manual locking hubs did you buy?
    Thanks everyone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there mate , no problems on the manual locking hubs for the GQ which loves going for a splash and the GU which belongs to the misses goes around puddles and dodges anything deeper than 5mm .
    Sounds like it's the wrong o ring or the fit isn't right with the ones you replaced .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No water ingress on my chinee hubs but I have just discovered one had a broken internally. Which was the cause of my horrible loud banging noises I was getting when in low range and descending hills.
    20170807_093223 (Medium).jpg20170807_093254 (Medium).jpg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially bought some AVM hubs (the red High Performance version) and they are not very good. They are a pain to remove due to the very small Torx screws filling with mud and they really aren't strong enough to do the job. If you are replacing hubs, the only practical option IMO is to go with genuine Nissan manual locking hubs.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. My mate and I are going to attempt to water proof these aftermarket one and conduct a series of bench tests to verify the water ingress issue is resolved. My Patrol has to endure some punishing terrain, so when these locking hubs blow up, I think I will give the genuine Nissan manual locking hubs a go.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still have the original auto locking ones, I'd put them back in but remove the auto lock mechanism as that is more than likely what is playing up
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 10th August 2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (10th August 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    If you still have the original auto locking ones, I'd put them back in but remove the auto lock mechanism as that is more tan likely what is playing up
    +1
    Been meaning to do this for a while. Should have done it when I tightened up bearings recently.
    2005 TD42TI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (10th August 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JME_GU View Post
    I initially bought some AVM hubs (the red High Performance version) and they are not very good. They are a pain to remove due to the very small Torx screws filling with mud and they really aren't strong enough to do the job. If you are replacing hubs, the only practical option IMO is to go with genuine Nissan manual locking hubs.
    Yep. I bought AVM's quite some time ago and and had to smash one of the hubs of with a hammer for the exact same reason. The Torx bit stripped and nothing would get them out. So a bit of persuasion came in and fixed that. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    If you still have the original auto locking ones, I'd put them back in but remove the auto lock mechanism as that is more than likely what is playing up
    Thats what i did to mine after the AVM debacle. I reckon the OEM autos are quite strong. The body on them is very decent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (11th August 2017)