Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear view mirror "replacement" reverse camera screen

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one on my mirror like @PeeBee linked to, & have zero problems with it. Stays in place, doesn't droop, doesn't move around on corrugations. Without going out to check, I'm pretty sure I removed mirror glass from my mirror (what use is a mirror in a ute with a canopy?) to reduce the weight, & may have tightened up the ball joint a little. Just seems like a normal mirror to me these days.

Important thing for always on is to get the right camera. Narrow angle of view gives best depth of field - use a standard 90 degree+ reversing camera & vehicles approaching from behind will scare the crap out of you when they suddenly appear right up your klacker 'out of nowhere.

I have a 60 degree camera but when it needs replacing will get a 30 degree. 60 degree is a reasonable compromise for rear vision & reversing, but best to have dual cameras - separate for reversing if you need one.

Do not get a CMOS camera, get a CCD - the image you will see in the monitor is chalk & cheese between these two types of sensor. Also the bigger the sensor the better.

For 'always on' rear vision - this is the camera to get https://www.nassecurity.com.au/30-vi...ew-camera.html (& what I will purchase next time).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa I think we spoke about 30 degree cameras some time ago. I have had one on the back of the caravan/s for many years and the depth perception is just like looking in an actual mirror and the view out of the rear of the caravan is excellent.

At the time the only reasonably priced camera I could find (it was still relatively expensive - but high quality) was from a security company in WA. I guess they are more readilly available now.

PS. Didn't see your link first off Cuppa - but yep - that is the place.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 4th March 2019 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12