Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel natural position changed and sudden death wobbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes it is. Id put in for a wheel alignment and ask them to check your caster and toe in. Start there.

Have you go pics underneath the car to confirm drop boxes
    Ill upload some photos of the underneath.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Did you hit anything hard ... a big rut perhaps, as it seems like you have bent something like the drag link, or something has partially let go.

Get underneath the front and check all the steering components, and if you are not sure what you are looking at, post up a picture, and someone will assist.

It certainly needs looking at as soon as you can
    We did go over some big rocks and a rut or two. I am almost tempted to think that the wheel turned because of the wobble.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be extremely unlikely for the steering wheel to move because of a wobble, as then that would mean that something is really loose underneath and is really dangerous.

The idea with steering and steering components, is that they are able to be locked into position by fixings like large bolts / nuts which exert a massive clamping force to make sure that things stay in optimum alignment.

Patrols are even more rigid than that, in that things like the drag link and camber are pretty much fixed in position by mostly non-adjustable fittings. The only things that can really be changed in the front end of a standard Patrol is toe in/out, tracking and castor.

It is a little bit tough to pick from the pictures, but it seems like the draglink is straight. The Adjustable Panhard rod looks like it had been installed upside down, but that in itself wont be the cause.

Point one of the front wheels straight .. get out and check .... are they both straight. If not, check track rod behind the diff, and ball joints.

Get someone to rock the steering wheel from side to side, and check to see if any ball joints are moving/rocking/clunking independently of the arm it is connected to. A steering component and its connecting arm should move totally together. Check Pitman Arm, Steering Box Arm, Panhard Bushes, Ball Joints, etc. A pry bar can help with that too

Grab a piece if string - check wheelbase from back wheel to front - check centre of wheel to centre of wheel on each side, and the piece of string should be the same length on both sides.
    Last edited by happygu; 28th April 2018 at 10:13 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Sofes (28th April 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
    We did go over some big rocks and a rut or two. I am almost tempted to think that the wheel turned because of the wobble.
    Not 90 degrees though. I have an adjustable drag link, this is where I can centre my steering wheel. So shortening or lengthening the drag link will alter the centre point of the steering wheel. To move the steering wheel 90 degrees, I'd have to adjust the drag link length about 15-20mm for this to happen I'd say.
    Going by the pics, your drag link is straight. so is the tie rod. Something doesn't add up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two stuffed ball joints by the look of it .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way I found my panhard bushes were the problem was to get someone on the steering wheel turning left to right constantly just a frag more than the free play , then checked to see what was moving when it shouldn't be .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    It would be extremely unlikely for the steering wheel to move because of a wobble, as then that would mean that something is really loose underneath and is really dangerous.

The idea with steering and steering components, is that they are able to be locked into position by fixings like large bolts / nuts which exert a massive clamping force to make sure that things stay in optimum alignment.

Patrols are even more rigid than that, in that things like the drag link and camber are pretty much fixed in position by mostly non-adjustable fittings. The only things that can really be changed in the front end of a standard Patrol is toe in/out, tracking and castor.

It is a little bit tough to pick from the pictures, but it seems like the draglink is straight. The Adjustable Panhard rod looks like it had been installed upside down, but that in itself wont be the cause.

Point one of the front wheels straight .. get out and check .... are they both straight. If not, check track rod behind the diff, and ball joints.

Get someone to rock the steering wheel from side to side, and check to see if any ball joints are moving/rocking/clunking independently of the arm it is connected to. A steering component and its connecting arm should move totally together. Check Pitman Arm, Steering Box Arm, Panhard Bushes, Ball Joints, etc. A pry bar can help with that too

Grab a piece if string - check wheelbase from back wheel to front - check centre of wheel to centre of wheel on each side, and the piece of string should be the same length on both sides.
    Ill be taking it to a mechanic next week to suss out, I'm heading to a mates soon and I'll check it all there and compare his gq w/ 4" lift to mine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a wheel alignment done yesterday and they said that they couldn't get the drivers side wheel to move at all. As in the wheels are currently in a toe-in position and out by 4mm if that makes sense.
    On the bright side the steering wheel is now straight!
    I only just noticed that the drivers side wheel is out of the flares by about 10-15mm and the passenger is well inside the flare. Maybe they didn't adjust the panhard?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
    I got a wheel alignment done yesterday and they said that they couldn't get the drivers side wheel to move at all. As in the wheels are currently in a toe-in position and out by 4mm if that makes sense.
    On the bright side the steering wheel is now straight!
    I only just noticed that the drivers side wheel is out of the flares by about 10-15mm and the passenger is well inside the flare. Maybe they didn't adjust the panhard?
    How did they do a proper allignment if they couldnt move a wheel. More to point how did they get the steering straight without you actually having an adjustable drag link?
    Just pull the steering wheel off and put it back on straight? If that's the case that's a very half arsed way of doing things and you'll now have a better turning circle in 1 direction than the other.
    I'd hit the roof if someone pulled that shit on mine.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

mudski (28th April 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast