Thread: Oil leak

Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    No turbo on his donk Kallen. Its a 4.5 petty...
    Well not yet..

Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    For the oil pressure, it's better not to rely on the stock(or even aftermarket) gauge.
    It's always better to fit an external meter gauge and confirm it. Yours have a T, so I'm guessing there is
    an aftermarket oil pressure gauge fitted. If both stock & aftermarket gauge are showing as low oil pressure, then
    it might have low oil pressure, but I wouldn't try anything big to fix the oil pressure issue,
    until I confirm with an external oil pressure meter.

The original is only a switch to throw the light on the dash.. Won't be doing anything until I get a mechanical gauge one there. It's got some pressure but did have more before I went to cobaw 15-20 on idle now 1-10, driving was 45 now 30ish. Having said that it's probably pushing 1/2 million Ks and could do with a freshen up. Have checked out a bottom end bearing kit, not a lot of $$$ just need to find a weekend that my brother and I are both free.

Mine has been showing low oil pressure since the beginning of time and the oil pressure suddenly sprung back
    after I took the oil pressure sender out and cleaned it with carby cleaner and pressurized air.
    The tiny hole that the oil goes through to put pressure on the spring mechanism inside the sender unit get
    clogged up with gunk eventually. Instead of buying a new one for $120, I cleaned the old one and put it back, as good
    as new. The other possible issue is the electrical connection/resistance. Sender's body itself is the negative(in mine).
    Lot can happen with a weak earth connection.
    $120 ouch.. mine was $12..
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Those senders are bloody close to the turbo, and i see yours hasnt got the heat sheild fitted anymore.
    Can see why its failed, cheap easy fix though..
    Sorry mate missed this completely.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th August 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Well not yet..

Yeah, RB30 engine oil pressure warning switch & oil pressure sender is a single unit and it's usually available genuine only.
    Having said that, I've seen compatible ones from China under ten bucks.
    It was a waste of money to pay $120 'cos you can get a decent aftermarket unit with an alarm for that price.
    That's why I decided to have a closer look at the old one. It was just a matter of cleaning it.
    It's nearly two years since I cleaned it and put it back and the oil pressure is still good.

I didn't know yours have done around a half a million km's, but still might be in good nick bearing wise & bottom end wise 'cos
    your engine is a non turbo.
    Ebay's selling oil pressure meters for around $30 or so. Mine's an ebay one. Get a one and plug it to the T joint
    and check the pressure.

I have a gut feeling yours doesn't have a mechanical oil pressure issue but an electrical one.
    If the oil pressure is markedly low then I reckon you would notice other issues as well.
    I reckon it's quite rare for big end bearings to wear without wearing the piston rings even further.
    If the piston rings are worn, then you would notice oil loss/blow-by/black smoke issues. Since you don't have those symptoms I am guessing it is rare for the big ends to wear on it's own, but I am no engine rebuilder though.
    I just go by logic which does work most of the time but not always.
    Also, if the bearings are worn then you would start to hear some kinda bearing knock as well I reckon.

Lets say for the sake of the argument it is actually caused by big end wear, then I wouldn't wanna to take it off road.
    I'm thinking it is not too expensive or probably not too hard either to replace the big end bearings by dropping the oil pan, but definitely
    would confirm with the diagnosis first.

Who knows! It could be a dodgy oil pump as well, even though it is not a common scenario.
    Last edited by dom14; 19th August 2017 at 07:17 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Well not yet..

There is something you can do to diagnose big end wear as demonstrated by below video. It's fairly easy to do.
    Avoid the first eight minutes of the video 'cos the fella's giving a religious sermon in first eight minutes before he got into the the subject of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK_y9Ghexy4
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12