User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to spot the leaking cylinder - old skool way

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you line up all the spark plugs the leaking cylinder will be more of a washed brown colour than black carbon compared to the rest, the steam from even a small trace of coolant has a vry strong cleaning effect on the carbon that builds on the head/piston
    gone to the dark side 2017 vdj 79 dc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    if you line up all the spark plugs the leaking cylinder will be more of a washed brown colour than black carbon compared to the rest, the steam from even a small trace of coolant has a vry strong cleaning effect on the carbon that builds on the head/piston
    That makes perfect sense mate.
    The spark plugs before of the old cylinder head looks orange/brown on the ceramic bit just above the tip.

Have a look at the below pictures of them.

Thanx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (225.9 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (233.6 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (207.7 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (259.9 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (246.9 KB, 19 views)
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red stuff is what happens when you use ethanol blended fuel, like E10 etc. Fucks everything, if you wanna use e10 you must use it in 95 octane blend (read label at pump cause you can get e10 from 89 through to 101 octane at different servos)
    Had this issue heaps when e10 first came out, people didn't understand that the car said it was ok but didn't read the fine print as to what blend to use, Replaced many of plugs for engines running rough from it haha
    Many people pretty shitty cause they all thought it would be under warranty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johno90 View Post
    Red stuff is what happens when you use ethanol blended fuel, like E10 etc. Fucks everything, if you wanna use e10 you must use it in 95 octane blend (read label at pump cause you can get e10 from 89 through to 101 octane at different servos)
    Had this issue heaps when e10 first came out, people didn't understand that the car said it was ok but didn't read the fine print as to what blend to use, Replaced many of plugs for engines running rough from it haha
    Many people pretty shitty cause they all thought it would be under warranty.
    Probably 'cos ethanol creates more moisture on combustion.
    Mine runs on LPG most of the time & I've never used E10, so the above red residue in mine's more likely due
    to coolant water getting into the combustion chamber and causing the chemical reaction to produce the red oxide buildup.
    I think it's just fine ferric oxide for the most part. The high pressure & high temperature inside the combustion chamber is
    ideal to produce that particular oxide of iron.
    Last edited by dom14; 18th December 2017 at 12:55 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Probably 'cos ethanol creates more moisture on combustion.
    Mine runs on LPG most of the time & I've never used E10, so the above red residue in mine's more likely due
    to coolant water getting into the combustion chamber and causing the chemical reaction to produce the red oxide buildup.
    It think it's just fine ferric oxide for the most part. The high pressure & high temperature inside the combustion chamber is
    ideal to produce that particular oxide of iron.
    Unfortantly thats a complete negative. Without going to deep into the actual chemical science it cant be and never has been red oxide.

Only things that make a plug look like that are leaded fuels, fuel that has ethanol or some of those intank additives you can buy. Fyi fuels these days can have ethanol without advertising. Like bp95 has it but doesnt say unless you get the mdss and read it.

If your interested later on i can do the chemical break down of how it happens

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (18th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortantly thats a complete negative. Without going to deep into the actual chemical science it cant be and never has been red oxide.

Only things that make a plug look like that are leaded fuels, fuel that has ethanol or some of those intank additives you can buy. Fyi fuels these days can have ethanol without advertising. Like bp95 has it but doesnt say unless you get the mdss and read it.

Oo and if you habe a coolant leak into combustion chamber and burn you will find that it shall actuall clean the plugs. Same deal as water meth and also just pouring water into it when its runnig good old skool way of cleaning out all the carbo etc. (Must do above methed correctly tho please dont stick the garden hose down ur motor)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (18th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, cool thanx.
    I would like to believe it was not caused by ethanol in fuel 'cos I have congenital aversion to ethanol added ULP 'cos I think it's bad for conventional old engines like mine(RB30). I've never used 95RON or 98RON. It always has been 91RON or once or twice with 98RON when I was experimenting LPG & 98RON ignition time(to find out if they are closer in terms of ignition timing needs). Leaded fuel is out of question I think 'cos it is no more.
    I've been under the impression that it is illegal to sell ethanol added fuel without indicating it at the servo pump. You say otherwise, which got me thinking and worried.

Please do post the break down of the chemical reaction of the red stuff on the spark plugs.

And btw, I've never added any additive into petrol, but dunno whether somebody else added anything, but hope not.
    Last edited by dom14; 18th December 2017 at 04:37 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oo and if you habe a coolant leak into combustion chamber and burn you will find that it shall actuall clean the plugs. Same deal as water meth and also just pouring water into it when its runnig good old skool way of cleaning out all the carbo etc. (Must do above methed correctly tho please dont stick the garden hose down ur motor)

Yeah, that makes sense.
    I've been using only the rust inhibitor in the coolant(no anti freeze) with deminerlized water.
    I was once speculating whether that had something to do with the red stuff, but that's also counter intuitive 'cos rust inhibitor should've reduced the claimed "ferric oxide" in my initial argument.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12