Thread: UHF radios

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHF radios

In the market for a radio to install in the 2013 Y61 trol. Comments and opinions most welcome on the issue of the more up to date radios. Was thinking Oricom dtx4200 ... Now the antenna I was looking at was the Oricom ANU1200 giving 3dbi and 6dbi with the folding mount. I can mount this on the middle of the roof rack on the plate reserved for the spare wheel (which I never use) and the antenna can be laid flat when needed. Again .. comments about my choices along with the mounting are most welcome ... i want to do this right the first time .....
    I was also toying with the idea of the new GME XRS-370C but I have read so many conflicting reviews/comments .. so have at it :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GME over Oricom any day of the week IMHO
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply ... what reasons ..

Thanks
    Thanked 12,412 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can comment on the Oricom radios but I've got the GME XRS330 and I reckon it's an absolute ripper.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GME TX3100 here

I've never needed anything fancier than a simple 6dba antenna. But if you wanted to get fancy you could mount 2 antennas into a coaxial switch like this and switch between them on the fly.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Axis-2-W...5.c10#viTabs_0
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GME is tempting .. but the reviews are usually done by the 4x4 tv presenters and of course they advertise EVERY brand of UHF out there to keep sponsorship. There have been some terrible reports about GME's new radio but not a lot about Uniden or Oricom ... again, if you own one then why are they good/better?
    I did see the antenna switches. The thing that turns me off buying 2 antennas is the price (especially GME). I could buy am Oricom ANU 1100 or ANU 1200 (3dbi and 6 dbi all in one) cheaper and without the hassle of mounting and running 2 lines of coax.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I own a Uniden. 9080S right now. Its a good unit, does the job when it comes to talking back and forth with people. Has other functions I will never need or touch...

Previous 4x4's I used GME's. Various models. When I bought this Patrol, I bought a Oricom pack with a small UHF unit and a handheld from 4x4 show...
    From my observation. You just have to physically handle GME or Uniden and then handle the Oricom, and you will realise where the price difference is.
    I'd be going for GME any day of the week. Aussie owned and made I believe, and Uniden or oricom are not even in the same league.
    Just my 2C.
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the info i need ... users giving the reasons behind GME oricom or uniden ... thanks for that .. so any thoughts on antenna? We do a lot of beach and hilly bush driving with the occassional long highway haul ... if i went GME im thinking the twin pack 2.1 dbi and 6.6dbi

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Thanks for the reply ... what reasons ..
    As Hodge said... quality and 100% aussie owned and backed altho some of their stuff is made overseas now.
    Having said that, a manuf of any product makes a lemon of a model every so often but I have no experience with the 370C one way or the other.
    I can say my 330C is an excellent bit of kit in my Y62 and all my vessel radios (27, VHF and FM) are GME as are the fleet vehicles and vessels radios other than HF at work and haven't had a dud yet

For recreational users I rate the manuf as follows
    Icom
    GME
    Uniden
    Oricom

Another thing is that probably 90% of the actual in use performance of any radio isn't the radio but the install and antenna quality.
    For reccy use IMHO an elevated feed dual whip antenna such as the RFI CD951 (or equiv from GME, ZCG) is absolutely the way to go https://www.prestigecom.net.au/rfi-c...ntenna-package
    IMHO easily the best antennas are made by ZCG Scalar, GME or RFI
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th April 2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Hodge (18th April 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats interesting .. so stay away from the heavy broomstick antennas that seem so popular. As I was intending on mounting it centrally on the roof rack, the ones you indicated would be a lot better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast