Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IS it true you can now import gu swb

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely deserves an LSX454R for wheelstands down our beautiful beaches mate! Chop the top off, add roll bars with bimini sun shade for some real magnet action, what a beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I'd drop my TD in it and....

Im first you lot! Lol.
    I wouldn't, I reckon the lighter weight of the ZD in the nose would make the SWB handle better and...

Your only first if the "hit" goes wrong.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Does anybody know why the GU SWB doesnt meet ADRs? I cant think why it would be so hard to get approved, but I'm no expert.
    They've never been a factory or even grey import so would need an assessment I would think, also, insurance might be an issue as they will take parts into consideration IE even a small bingle may be a writeoff.

But I was more referring specifically to the OP rig (which looks quite heavily mod'd) if he was to bring it over

Happy to be wrong however
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    They've never been a factory or even grey import so would need an assessment I would think, also, insurance might be an issue as they will take parts into consideration IE even a small bingle may be a writeoff.

But I was more referring specifically to the OP rig (which looks quite heavily mod'd) if he was to bring it over

Happy to be wrong however
    Can understand your point about parts being an insurance issue. Roof/floor pan damage would be the breaker thinking about it. All moving bits would be same I'd reckon?

Just wondering why they weren't factory available in the first place. Reckon it was probably a Nissan sales volume decision rather than ADR compliance issues.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can understand your point about parts being an insurance issue. Roof/floor pan damage would be the breaker thinking about it. All moving bits would be same I'd reckon?

Just wondering why they weren't factory available in the first place. Reckon it was probably a Nissan sales volume decision rather than ADR compliance issues.
    Yeah, probably right.
    ADR has weird flow on effects tho IE the rear lights that don't work on Aussie Spec vehicles from 1994 (or was it 1992).

Rather than redesign/engineer the Aussie versions to have them comply to ADR (problem was the visible arc compliance due to the spare) they omitted the innards and made them non-functional and placed them in the bar.
    In essence that means it can be argued that if you now 'activate' the rear lights by using overseas spec lights or drilling out and fitting holders etc your vehicle is no longer ADR compliant.

It is a different argument to 'adding lights to comply' as is needed on some imports.
    In the Patrol example one is adding lights that do not comply... and they can't be treated as repeaters either. Repeaters ah la mine spec etc have their own set of ADRs

Hence the need for assessment IE does the OP shorty (being Euro spec) have ADR compliant tail lamps?
    I have seen pics of GR Patrols out of Europe both with and without lights in the bar.
    Maybe it does, I dunno... I still love the look of the GU shorty tho
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th July 2018 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yeah, probably right.
    ADR has weird flow on effects tho IE the rear lights that don't work on Aussie Spec vehicles from 1994 (or was it 1992).

Rather than redesign/engineer the Aussie versions to have them comply to ADR (problem was the visible arc compliance due to the spare) they omitted the innards and made them non-functional and placed them in the bar.
    In essence that means it can be argued that if you now 'activate' the rear lights by using overseas spec lights or drilling out and fitting holders etc your vehicle is no longer ADR compliant.

It is a different argument to 'adding lights to comply' as is needed on some imports.
    In the Patrol example one is adding lights that do not comply... and they can't be treated as repeaters either. Repeaters ah la mine spec etc have their own set of ADRs

Hence the need for assessment IE does the OP shorty (being Euro spec) have ADR compliant tail lamps?
    I have seen pics of GR Patrols out of Europe both with and without lights in the bar.
    Maybe it does, I dunno... I still love the look of the GU shorty tho
    Yeah me too. And surely bar lights a straight addition like LWB for 45 degree arc compliance.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know why the GU SWB doesnt meet ADRs? I cant think why it would be so hard to get approved, but I'm no expert.
    Plenty of other imported cars driving around. So I would guess its not too hard to bring one in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s two UK GU shorties over Lilydale way, will see if can remember to stop one oneday to ask what they had to go through.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th July 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    There’s two UK GU shorties over Lilydale way, will see if can remember to stop one oneday to ask what they had to go through.

No dramas if on carnet de passage but gotta be out of country in 12 monthss. Allows international travel for limited time with restrictions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah sorry, mislead ya. They’ve got Vic plates and been here for at least 5 years I know of the Burgundy coloured one seen more regularly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (27th July 2018)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast