Thread: Provent oil drain

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I went a slightly longer route... I ran the tube along the LH chassis rail and when it hit the radiator mount panel curled it down and towards the plastic wind deflector under the radiator shroud. The hose is on a slight downwards run all the way and can collect a goodly amount of oil with no chance of the truck sucking it back if you forget to drain it for a while. I just cable tie it behind the end of the plastic so it cant be ripped out.. One last thing for engine safety is I silver soldered the end of a standard airline fitting (same thread) and wound it in as a bung with some sealer tape. There are two benefits here, 1. cant suck in fresh air or water if you forget the close the spigot (it's a sealed surface), 2. protects the ball cock from dirt and crap .... when i drain it, i just cut the cable tie, drop the hose down and take out the bung and drain, once drained, return the bung and re cable tie....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I installed the Provent many years ago, I fitted a check valve to the drain and tee'd it into the turbo oil return line to the sump.
    I've never had any condensation in the Provent....just oil, nothing else.
    Set and forget, and I've never had any reason to think I should have done otherwise.
    Last edited by geoffayres; 3rd March 2019 at 05:51 AM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffayres View Post
    When I installed the Provent many years ago, I fitted a check valve to the drain and tee'd it into the turbo oil return line to the sump.
    I've never had any condensation in the Provent....just oil, nothing else.
    Set and forget, and I've never had any reason to think I should have done otherwise.
    You still floating around mate... How are things? You obviously still have your Patrol.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    You still floating around mate... How are things? You obviously still have your Patrol.
    Hi mate. Yep, I still pop in from time to time. Things are OK thanks, just too busy with work and home stuff to get away as much as I'd like.

You bet I've still got the Patrol. It's used for holidays or towing duties only these days. I'll have had it 20 years next Jan, and have no plans to change. I don't see anything that else excites me enough....

How's it all going for you?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffayres View Post
    Hi mate. Yep, I still pop in from time to time. Things are OK thanks, just too busy with work and home stuff to get away as much as I'd like.

You bet I've still got the Patrol. It's used for holidays or towing duties only these days. I'll have had it 20 years next Jan, and have no plans to change. I don't see anything that else excites me enough....

How's it all going for you?
    Going pretty good for me. Life is getting busier and busier, due to buying a renovators delight a couple of years ago. So my Patrol just sits there unfortunately.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

geoffayres (4th March 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12