Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust, Gauges, Dyno, Dawse, Needles & Intercoolers

OK, firstly thanks to @mudski for the help he's given me so far.

I'm still learning this all as I go, so I may have some strange sounding questions!

So I want to fit a larger exhaust to my 2013 3L CRD Patrol with 78,000ks on it.

If I find my OEM intercooler is leaking, is it worth repairing or should I replace it? Are they easy to fix? Should just about any radiator place be able to fix them?

Setting a Dawse valve. From what I understand, the Dawse valve relieves pressure when that pressure reaches a certain point. How do I know what that point is? I've been told fitting a Daws valve isn't hard, but I have no idea how to adjust it or what to adjust it to???

Needle valves. I've read that they can be used to alter the speed the turbo spools up at (not sure how, haven't looked it up yet). As I don't fully understand it's function yet, can I do any damage if I alter the needle valve setting? I understand it's there so you can get better response or economy from your motor, but is there any chance if I set it for one thing, let's say driving at 100kmh on flat roads for hours and then go belting up & down slippery muddy tracks, could I do any damage? I'm thinking about EGTs here.

Gauges. Does anyone know of a small combined boost & EGT gauge that would fit on the bottom in between the taco & the speedo. I can't use a pillar pod as I have my mobile phone dock there.

The input to the gauges, the stuff that makes the needle go up & down, is it air, fluid, oil etc or electrical? I'm wondering what will pass through the firewall and how large a hole I'll need.

Dyno tuning. Is it worthwhile if you don't have a chip? Will my Dawse be set as well as it can be if I get a dyno???

Exhaust. 2.75" or 3"? I've read that all that is needed is the 2.75", but there are many more options (and prices) in the 3" world.

EGTs. What is too low and what is too high? Does adjusting the needle valve have any effect on EGTs? How do I stay safe?

I'm after a reliable efficient vehicle that will last me for many years, I'm no mechanic so I need things to be robust. if there's any advice or info on what else I should or shouldn't do I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    OK, firstly thanks to @mudski for the help he's given me so far.

I'm still learning this all as I go, so I may have some strange sounding questions!

So I want to fit a larger exhaust to my 2013 3L CRD Patrol with 78,000ks on it.

If I find my OEM intercooler is leaking, is it worth repairing or should I replace it? Are they easy to fix? Should just about any radiator place be able to fix them?

Setting a Dawse valve. From what I understand, the Dawse valve relieves pressure when that pressure reaches a certain point. How do I know what that point is? I've been told fitting a Daws valve isn't hard, but I have no idea how to adjust it or what to adjust it to???
    Basically the Dawes has a ball and a spring inside the valve. The spring keeps the pressure on the ball. The more pressure put on the ball, the higher the boost level.
    Needle valves. I've read that they can be used to alter the speed the turbo spools up at Yes(not sure how, haven't looked it up yet). As I don't fully understand it's function yet, can I do any damage if I alter the needle valve setting? NoI understand it's there so you can get better response or economy from your motor, but is there any chance if I set it for one thing, let's say driving at 100kmh on flat roads for hours and then go belting up & down slippery muddy tracks, could I do any damage? NoI'm thinking about EGTs here.No, again

Gauges. Does anyone know of a small combined boost & EGT gauge that would fit on the bottom in between the taco & the speedo. I can't use a pillar pod as I have my mobile phone dock there.
    McNally Electronics is what I used. And in the spot you want....
    1413089121924.jpg
    The input to the gauges, the stuff that makes the needle go up & down, is it air, fluid, oil etc or electrical? I'm wondering what will pass through the firewall and how large a hole I'll need.
    Depending on what gauge you get. The McNally uses an electronic sensor on the motor to pickup boost pressure. Some gauges use tubing and pass the boost pressure though to the gauge via the tubing. Then you have wires that you need to run into the cab to the gauge.
    You need to fabricate a reference point for boost pickup too. Usually via one of the steel intercooler pipes.
    Dyno tuning. Is it worthwhile if you don't have a chip? Yes, and no. Depending on how good you tune the valves via a road tune.Will my Dawse be set as well as it can be if I get a dyno??? Depending on who is doing the dyno. As I said via our pm, theres many mechanics that still dont understand the simplicity of the Dawes and the needle valve.

Exhaust. 2.75" or 3"? I've read that all that is needed is the 2.75", but there are many more options (and prices) in the 3" world.
    I'll stay out of this one...
    EGTs. What is too low and what is too high? Dunno about low, but anything around and over 500c in my opinion is dangerous territory. Does adjusting the needle valve have any effect on EGTs?Yes, have the spool up too slow, your egt will climb fast as theres not enough boost pressure and too much fuel (running rich) How do I stay safe? Tune it right. Theres a sweet spot when you tune the valves up. You will know it when you hit that spot.

I'm after a reliable efficient vehicle that will last me for many years, I'm no mechanic so I need things to be robust. if there's any advice or info on what else I should or shouldn't do I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.
    If its tuned right it will be reliable.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap .. my head is spinning with this one ...but let me respond to one of the 100 questions asked ..

The intercooler. Yes ditch the standard Nissan crimped intercooler. Crimped, crap, it is synonymous.

There are a multitude of OEM replacements, HPD, Cross Country, ARE ... the original ones Leak like a sieve and from my opinion are not worth trying to repair.If you want to try another I will happily give you my original unit but it also leaks.

I've lost a bit of the other questions but re gauges, try the Aurtron / Redarc as they may have one to suit.

I have the original Aurtron in my vehicle but since Redarc have taken them over there are slightly less ( actually a lot less ) options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm beginning to make a game plan for this work and am sure I'll end up with a great setup.

I'm guessing the 2.75" Vs 3.0" question is like the "what's better mud tyres or All Terrains" in that case, I think I may go 3" then.

Thanks again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th February 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best to speak to the professionals about the exhaust size.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first question is do you have a good quality oil catch can fitted. Oil film in the intake is the root of all evils.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a 2.75" will work better with the CRD than a 3" system from what Ive read here.
    replace the OE intercooler with a tigged and tested IC, that will cost about $3-400,
    tigged ones are about 30% bigger as well.
    Autron do a dual gauge same as Redarc
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help and info guys.

Yes I have a Provent 200 and it's working very well, just bought a 2nd filter for it in fact. Also blocked the EGR.

3-400 for a new IC, that's doable, I thought I was up for 1000-1500 for a new IC which isn't really do able.

Thanks again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

rainsey (10th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I cant justify that kind of money for what you get.
    Having a CRD a Scan Gauge should be high on your to buy list
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm beginning to make a game plan for this work and am sure I'll end up with a great setup.

I'm guessing the 2.75" Vs 3.0" question is like the "what's better mud tyres or All Terrains" in that case, I think I may go 3" then.

Thanks again.
    I went with the Beaudesert exhaust, only because of what I read about them over others.
    Installing this weekend so hope to comment on any changes.
    Price was fair ($1,255.00 delivered from QLD to VIC) and would rather spend a bit more than a cheap one for peace of mind.
    2012 GU8

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast