OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Oil pressure switch/sender

  1. #1
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oil pressure switch/sender

    Gents I tried to fit tee piece off motor to fit oil pressure sender all was easy enough but I've got 2 male run tees 1/8 npt but neither of them are narrow enough at the mouth to even get a bite on the thread in engine block ?? Got fittings from Pirtek and one from another dealer but be buggered if they will screw in measured start up thread with vernier and it's about .4mm to big might have to try enzed or ?? Anybody have this problem or do I need a another brand of fitting as I'm stumped
    Why the mongrels won't fit you can visibly see that oil switch is slightly smaller in the mouth compared to my fittings ????? Quite the conundrum and blood loss was great and the heat sheild on turbo is sharp beware.
    Battleready
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #2
    Legendary dom14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere inside Victoria, Australia :)
    Posts
    3,869
    Thanks
    2,124
    Thanked 573 Times in 459 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleready76 View Post
    Gents I tried to fit tee piece off motor to fit oil pressure sender all was easy enough but I've got 2 male run tees 1/8 npt but neither of them are narrow enough at the mouth to even get a bite on the thread in engine block ?? Got fittings from Pirtek and one from another dealer but be buggered if they will screw in measured start up thread with vernier and it's about .4mm to big might have to try enzed or ?? Anybody have this problem or do I need a another brand of fitting as I'm stumped
    Why the mongrels won't fit you can visibly see that oil switch is slightly smaller in the mouth compared to my fittings ????? Quite the conundrum and blood loss was great and the heat sheild on turbo is sharp beware.
    Battleready
    The oil pressure sender/oil pressure switch(same unit in my RB30 Patrol) thread pitch is 1/8NPT from memory, but it's tapered.
    In other words. tip of the thread head is narrower than the other end. If you look at the sender unit fitting threaded rod, you can see it's angled. So, if you're to use a T piece on the block, that T piece has to be tapered as well as matched the pitch to 1/8NPT.
    Take the sender unit to Pirtek and they will measure the taper angle and give you the correct T piece.
    Without that they wouldn't know, so they would've given you the untapered T pieces.

    One thing can happen is that you can accidentally end up forcing the non tapered T piece into the tapered block hole and damage the oil pressure threaded hole of the block. If that happens, there will be lot of headaches.
    Last edited by dom14; 8th August 2016 at 08:10 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

    bigguwesty (8th August 2016)

  5. #3
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    The oil pressure sender/oil pressure switch(same unit in my RB30 Patrol) thread pitch is 1/8NPT from memory, but it's tapered.
    In other words. tip of the thread head is narrower than the other end. If you look at the sender unit fitting threaded rod, you can see it's angled. So, if you're to use a T piece on the block, that T piece has to be tapered as well as matched the pitch to 1/8NPT.
    Take the sender unit to Pirtek and they will measure the taper angle and give you the correct T piece.
    Without that they wouldn't know, so they would've given you the untapered T pieces.

    One can happen is that you can accidentally end up forcing the non tapered T piece into the tapered block hole and damage the oil pressure threaded hole of the block. If that happens, there will be lot of headaches.
    I've look hard at these fittings and have read and heard that the factory switch is a 1/8gas which has the same thread pitch as bspt ? I'm totally confused as I've got tapered threads 1/8npt from 2 different dealers pirtek and hose master neither fit but I have ordered a bspt vdo tee and will gingerly try and see if it screws in but with the other 2 absolutely no chance when you look at my fitting against a bspt its smaller so I'm balls deep more cuts and blood loss sorting this last piece of my gauge saga the only reason I got npt is the manual book that I downloaded said npt can't trust every thing you read ???
    Battleready
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

  6. #4
    In Moderation
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    13,882
    Thanks
    6,323
    Thanked 8,019 Times in 4,929 Posts
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what you need....
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Press...YAAOSw-itXqC-N
    Tis' what I use on my Patrol to run two switches.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

    Battleready76 (8th August 2016)

  8. #5
    Legendary jay see's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,730
    Thanks
    2,943
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,331 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    This is what you need....
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Press...YAAOSw-itXqC-N
    Tis' what I use on my Patrol to run two switches.
    X2.
    Easy and effective.

    Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

  9. #6
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    roger that got it ordered
    Thanks again gents
    Battleready
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

  10. #7
    Legendary dom14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere inside Victoria, Australia :)
    Posts
    3,869
    Thanks
    2,124
    Thanked 573 Times in 459 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleready76 View Post
    I've look hard at these fittings and have read and heard that the factory switch is a 1/8gas which has the same thread pitch as bspt ? I'm totally confused as I've got tapered threads 1/8npt from 2 different dealers pirtek and hose master neither fit but I have ordered a bspt vdo tee and will gingerly try and see if it screws in but with the other 2 absolutely no chance when you look at my fitting against a bspt its smaller so I'm balls deep more cuts and blood loss sorting this last piece of my gauge saga the only reason I got npt is the manual book that I downloaded said npt can't trust every thing you read ???
    Battleready
    I can't see what your vehicle is, so I was assuming it's RB30 Patrol block.
    RB30 is definitely has tapered thread on the oil pressure sender hole.
    I dunno about other vehicles though.

    Either way, I found the best way to fit another switch or sender to the block is to use sandwich plate on the oil filter.
    Sandwich plate allows you to fit two more switch/sender units.

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL...kAAMXQeKNTM5lL

    or this

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-TEMP-...3D321362797677

    I've installed a one of the above and it's going pretty good since last year.
    Undoing the filter is lot lot easier than undoing the sender unit on RB30 Patrol.

    The advantage of the sandwich plate is that you don't need to worry about whether the T piece is tapered or not.
    It's 1/8NPT untapered on the sandwich plate. So, the sender/switch kit you buy does NOT need to be tapered 1/8NPT.

    AFAIK, most of the aftermarket sender/switch units use untapered thread, which is usually 1/8NPT.
    Last edited by dom14; 8th August 2016 at 08:08 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

  11. #8
    Legendary dom14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere inside Victoria, Australia :)
    Posts
    3,869
    Thanks
    2,124
    Thanked 573 Times in 459 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the sender unit from RB30. You can see it's tapered.

    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...5&d=1445660961
    Last edited by dom14; 11th August 2016 at 10:33 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

  12. #9
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well gents jobs done gauges are fitted they dim with dash lights and can't fault them ,,'twas a bit of wrong information about the fitting but thanks to all you for the advice
    Battleready
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Battleready76 For This Useful Post:

    bigguwesty (22nd August 2016)

  14. #10
    Advanced Arfa Brayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 74 Times in 35 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess a bit of accurate information can be really helpful when you're trying to get others to solve problems.
    What engine and model Patrol you have makes a big difference.
    The RB30 is an all Japanese engine, but the TB42 is primarily a Ford engine - all of the tapered fittings on the block I have encountered have been tapered bsp.
    Earlier Datsun engines were based on pommy BMC motors - but without all the oil leaks. Datto 1200 was a morris engine.
    Dunno about the ZD30 grenade motor, but the bottom end is supposed to be the same as the BD30 which is used in trucks and excavators and extremely reliable.
    With modern "badge engineering" it's like working out which stray dog gave your bitch pups.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    Best way to deal with a "Can't" is to chop off the "t" and brew it in boiled water for a few minutes.
    Sip on the "t", and consider what you've got left to work with

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •