OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a GU 42 by Christmas 2022! - Options and discussions on buying a used GU TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    QUESTION: Is a non turbo TD42 comparable to a Toyota non turbo 1HZ to drive. Recently I have had the daily use of an old Toyota ute with a 1HZ & it has been an absolute joy to drive, especially off road. Used to have one in a Troopy & this has reminded me of what a great torquey , just so easy to drive motor, the motor pulls from virtually nothing. Start it & put it in gear & I could reverse out the shed without touching the accelerator! Admittedly the lower Toyota gearing helps, but I'm wondering if a pre-turbo TD42 motor is a similar beast.
    Great question cuppa. I've asked myself if I'd be happy in an NA TD42.
    My dad's had the old cruiser on the farm for years and it seems to get along just fine.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MB (13th May 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Ok, let's have a quick side note on the infamous zd30.
    How much of an improvement is the CRD over the Di? Does a CRD still want playing with to make it safe and worry free?
    I lump them all together in a big grey fuzzy no go zone but I don't know the facts

One fact that I do know about a CRD, is that due to the complexity of the fuel system and engine control, it costs big bucks if it cops a dose of bad fuel. A cousin's Patrol had to be towed from Exmouth to Carnarvon and it cost thousands to have the system cleaned and repaired.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (13th May 2022), taslucas (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, let's have a quick side note on the infamous zd30.
    How much of an improvement is the CRD over the Di? Does a CRD still want playing with to make it safe and worry free?
    I lump them all together in a big grey fuzzy no go zone but I don't know the facts

Its a big improvement. Much better in every way. Unless you want more from it then just drive it. They aren't fast but are generally a reliable patrol.

As with any vehicle though they are susceptible to poor maintenance and if one has been poorly maintained then it can get costly but this is will be true for moat vehicles.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (13th May 2022), taslucas (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    QUESTION: Is a non turbo TD42 comparable to a Toyota non turbo 1HZ to drive. Recently I have had the daily use of an old Toyota ute with a 1HZ & it has been an absolute joy to drive, especially off road. Used to have one in a Troopy & this has reminded me of what a great torquey , just so easy to drive motor, the motor pulls from virtually nothing. Start it & put it in gear & I could reverse out the shed without touching the accelerator! Admittedly the lower Toyota gearing helps, but I'm wondering if a pre-turbo TD42 motor is a similar beast.
    No they aren't the same. The 1hz is not as strong of a motor but it is more refined than the TD42 hence your observations. A NA TD42 is slow that's all there is to it. Yes gearing and all that plays a part but the 1HZ is nicer car motor not truck like with the TD.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th May 2022), MB (13th May 2022), Rossco (13th May 2022), taslucas (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    One fact that I do know about a CRD, is that due to the complexity of the fuel system and engine control, it costs big bucks if it cops a dose of bad fuel. A cousin's Patrol had to be towed from Exmouth to Carnarvon and it cost thousands to have the system cleaned and repaired.
    I think quite a few companies make these things sound more complex than they really are so they can make some more cash. The systems are really not far from that in your efi petrol car. Sure parts are made stronger/heavier due to the pressures required for a diesel but injectors are not hugely expensive. Even if you do get bad fuel the filter will catch most of it. A lot of cost comes from the labour to clean a system but this is still not a huge task.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th May 2022), MB (13th May 2022), mudnut (15th May 2022), taslucas (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mat Legend is all over it
    From my nuffy owned experiences on OEM TD42 engines and TD42T’s at best powered.
    Personally wouldn’t go a 4.2NA on a much heavier GU but fine for bush torque chugging a much lighter GQ.
    Towing wise on either you’ll definitely need to hoof some sort of air at least into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (14th May 2022), nissannewby (13th May 2022), Stropp (17th May 2022), taslucas (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I decided to buy a patrol the 4.2 was out of my price range and I didn't want the 3 litre, past bad experience with a little diesel motors. That left me with the petrol option only, I find a very early series 1 4.5 litre duel fuel in unmolested condition. Nearly 8 years later it's far from unmolested and it's now on straight petrol. Motor as around 560000 km and has no signs of letting go, yes it's down on power when climbing hills, but I still keep up with the traffic and it gets me to work and back (90 km return trip) and to the high country for a week of touring every year. The ls conversion is still on the cards just waiting for the funds to be there. Who doesn't want power on tap..

Just my two cents..

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (14th May 2022), mudnut (15th May 2022), Rossco (14th May 2022), Stropp (17th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    When I decided to buy a patrol the 4.2 was out of my price range and I didn't want the 3 litre, past bad experience with a little diesel motors. That left me with the petrol option only, I find a very early series 1 4.5 litre duel fuel in unmolested condition. Nearly 8 years later it's far from unmolested and it's now on straight petrol. Motor as around 560000 km and has no signs of letting go, yes it's down on power when climbing hills, but I still keep up with the traffic and it gets me to work and back (90 km return trip) and to the high country for a week of touring every year. The ls conversion is still on the cards just waiting for the funds to be there. Who doesn't want power on tap..

Just my two cents..

Whats the fuel consumption like?

Hello from Under Down Under!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

jay see (13th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the fuel consumption like?

Probably

On the high country trip the 80 series with a LS2 was better on fuel than me. I haven't worked it out, but it's gotta be at least 20L per 100. Having said that it's only been on straight petrol for about a month and it's got a massive exhaust leak at the manifold.

12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2c but guessing this will be a long term investment so may as well chase exactly what you want and will be happy with. . . Having recently purchased TD GU coily fairly unadulterated have to say really (really) happy with it, motor is fairly bog stock but cruises along just fine and sure will be trouble free for years to come. Did pay fair price tho (35K) has 260 000 ks so relatively low Ks and coil cab ute sure pushes price up a bit too. . .

As others have said world avoid conversions and aim for original and lowish Ks as possible but might be a balance with price.

ZDs really are a nice car to drive, dad had a di one and they really do go well but do definitely notice lack of low down torque if off boost in steep off road stuff where TDs are at home really but having said that is totally manageable and reduction gears are also an option. Anyways good luck and if you want us to check out any nice specimens in sunny Mexico yell out

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Stropp (17th May 2022), taslucas (14th May 2022)

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast