OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZD30 highflow airbox and intake LIMP MODE!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 highflow airbox and intake LIMP MODE!!

Howdy All,

So a while ago i installed the tilix kit and have not had a drama since... no limp mode, great spool rate and great performance.

Recently i grabbed myself a demon pro 3.5" high flow air box and after i installed it im having issues with limp mode at 45km and 65km under medium to heavy throttle, after playing around with the max boost and spool rate i havnt been able to adjust this out so i bought a forefront intake pipe and this has removed the limp at 45km but still happends at around 60-70km now.

anyone have a solution to this? will increasing the MAF housing diameter help or will i need to adjust the MAF voltage?

any help would be apreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DI or CRD?
    stock ECU?
    Full manual boost control: tillix and needle?
    what max boost now?
    Guess still over boosting.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    DI or CRD?
    stock ECU?
    Full manual boost control: tillix and needle?
    what max boost now?
    Guess still over boosting.
    Di with stock ecu
    Tillix and needle valve
    Boost set to 16psi, will spike to around 18 at full throttle then quickly come back to 16.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sn5013 View Post
    Di with stock ecu
    Tillix and needle valve
    Boost set to 16psi, will spike to around 18 at full throttle then quickly come back to 16.
    IMO, suggest you drop your max boost to nom 15psi and work up from there. DI do not handle as high a boost as CRD (stock ECU). CRD maxB 15.5 - 16psi (predictable). Try backing off your Tillix approx "1/4 TURN" may see 1psi maxB drop. Best way to set max boost is drive up hill slight load approx 60-70% ( hauling). Eg: manual 3rd gear @ 3000rpm hauling and adjust max boost to point of no limp and then set spool with needle to suit.

ECU remap is a good option these days (postal), send your ECU off for remap then you re-install and set max boost (20-22psi/AFR22:1). Provides good run and lower EGTs as running controlled higher boost. Your upgrade to induction from airbox to turbo is good and very suited for stock ECU or remap running higher boost.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reduce your spool until there is no boost bounce and see what happens. The higher spool rate is making the ECU think its over boosting.
    Alternatively you can run a resistor on the MAF to trick the voltage, not sure of where and how, but google will find it for you. Or the HPD air flow housing. Which is what I did many moons ago. Worked a treat, I wound my boost out past 30 psi and it still wouldn't hit limp mode. Prior to this, 16psi was the limit. on the knocker...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Reduce your spool until there is no boost bounce and see what happens. The higher spool rate is making the ECU think its over boosting.
    Alternatively you can run a resistor on the MAF to trick the voltage, not sure of where and how, but google will find it for you. Or the HPD air flow housing. Which is what I did many moons ago. Worked a treat, I wound my boost out past 30 psi and it still wouldn't hit limp mode. Prior to this, 16psi was the limit. on the knocker...
    So the HPD maf mousing helped the limp issue?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sn5013 View Post
    So the HPD maf mousing helped the limp issue?
    I have the MAF sensor housing I have the airbox lid from HPD it has definitely helped with the overall performance but it is still a balance of turbo settings and boost and unfortunately throttle last weekend I went on a camping trip with the boys to rescue and old four-wheel drive from the bush on the way there the turbo limp mode happened twice but coming home at low speed with the other four-wheel drive there was no limp mode issues whatsoever so sometimes we are probably just trying to give it too much stick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Larger exhaust sys, improved induction flow allow the turbo to spool up quicker/spin up faster and the ECU sometimes cannot keep up. Only ever had limp issues(early on) when running 21psi (hauling) with stock turbo/ECU. Never had this issues post ECU remap(either stock or H/F turbo). Understand that the DI is more prone than CRD.

Early days of NADS, to avoid limp, understand it was a practice to adjust the turbo vane angle limit stop (screw it down) so to reduce the turbine speed to prevent over boosting.

I run a procharge stage 3 turbo (moderate tune) at maxB of 27psi, ECU remap, 4" induction with 3" duct from airbox to turbo, larger TMIC. To achieve desired performance low down, I have done extensive adjustment to the turbo VNT actuator rod length, ie: the vacuum required to lift actuator lever to hit stop. This controls the length of time that the exhaust wheel vanes are closed to achieve required spin up rate of the turbine for low down performance and does influence spool rate and boost behavior.

As an experiment if you would like to adjust turbo actuator to see if this helps, I can walk you thru this but care is needed not to over boost.

Question: When you spool up fast from say 2000RPM, does it feel:
    Laggy
    Linear (good spool rate), or
    Surges a bit?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your private messages
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the actuator is something i havnt played with as yet but wouldnt mind doing.

Bare in mind mine is auto, but if i put my foot down and it drops a gear, rpms rise obviously and she spools up quick, i wouldn't say its laggy at all and it responds well but if i keep the throttle down for say 5-10 seconds it will then hit limp mode.

if i take of from the lights with 30% throttle she picks up pretty good but at around 45km it hits limp mode then does it again at around 65km but from there upwards limp mode doesnt come back on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast