Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1995 rd28t front hub socket size

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    My issue with the current system is that you replace the washers each time you need to remove the hub. That can be quite often if you get a lot of water, mud and gunk on the swivel, which tends to prematurely destroy the scraper and seal thus allowing water ingress.

I have seen when you follow the manual and torque the hub nut to spec, it actually drags the washer tab with it a little bit which weakens it rendering it unsafe to re-use.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Front-...UAAOSwyWZZOgzm

I was quoted an exorbitant price, locally, for the washers, that is why I had some made.
    Hmmm..... I reused the nut, and didn't think it cause any problems down the track.
    I manually adjust it by feeling the drag and play and keep doing it until I get the desired feeling of drag.

I will pull out mine soon and re-do the bearings, and will find out what or if I need to replace the bits and pieces above.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Hmmm..... I reused the nut, and didn't think it cause any problems down the track.
    I manually adjust it by feeling the drag and play and keep doing it until I get the desired feeling of drag.

I will pull out mine soon and re-do the bearings, and will find out what or if I need to replace the bits and pieces above.
    The locking washer not the nut is weakened. The post is amended to make that clear.

I have to replace the front brake discs, pads, swivel scraper and seals again, anyway. I was hoping to do the upgrade at the same time, but I think I would need to get auto locking hubs. Waiting for this to be confirmed.
    Last edited by mudnut; 15th December 2017 at 11:33 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The locking washer not the nut is weakened. The post is amended to make that clear.

I have to replace the front brake discs, pads, swivel scraper and seals again, anyway. I was hoping to do the upgrade at the same time, but I think I would need to get auto locking hubs. Waiting for this to be confirmed.
    From what I know, I would keep the manual ones, regardless of having to get out of the vehicle to engage and disengage them.

I used the same locking washer. It would depend how many times you have to do and undo the hubs.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for correcting me. It is strange they didn't use that system throughout the range as it is way superior than having to replace locking washers. Mine is a '94.
    @NissanGQ4.2 Did yours come with auto locking hubs?
    I could be wrong, I just can't see mine being after market or converted by the previous owner

Yeh mate Auto locking hubs, although they are now converted 2 manual
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    I could be wrong, I just can't see mine being after market or converted by the previous owner

Yeh mate Auto locking hubs, although they are now converted 2 manual
    So I have stuffed up. In @Winnies early pictures of his Patrol it has the manual hubs, which I thought you could upgrade to the locking ring. ( I remember him posting that he had upgraded and I assumed it was just the locking ring). In his later pics it looks like he has fitted the auto hubs. Still hoping I am wrong about that, though.
    Last edited by mudnut; 16th December 2017 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    From what I know, I would keep the manual ones, regardless of having to get out of the vehicle to engage and disengage them.

I used the same locking washer. It would depend how many times you have to do and undo the hubs.
    I just don't trust steel that has already been flexed, so I change out the lock washer, each time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have stuffed up. In @Winnies early pictures of his Patrol it has the manual hubs, which I thought you could upgrade to the locking ring. ( I remember him posting that he had upgraded and I assumed it was just the locking ring). In his later pics it looks like he has fitted the auto hubs.
    All is good, from a quick read now, from 95 onward was when the changes to that style, I don't know it matters if its auto hubs or manual. Maybe mine where converted, maybe the TI models had them because they where the top of the line model
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All is good, from a quick read now, from 95 onward was when the changes to that style, I don't know it matters if its auto hubs or manual. Maybe mine where converted, maybe the TI models had them because they where the top of the line model
    Yep, that makes sense. The RB30 is was supposed to be the cheaper version, or mums taxi.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that makes sense. The RB30 is was supposed to be the cheaper version, or mums taxi.
    Fuel economic version or so I thought. I'm not sure whether that is the case. When start grunting and revving, it can consume almost the same as TB engines, I think. I've heard TB45, 48's producing 5-6km/L economy, and I've never heard of an RB30 producing 7km/L economy. I bought the RB30 with fuel economy in mind which I now think is a the wrong approach there is no heavy 4WD that is fuel economical. Of course, there are other advantages with RB30, 'cos the engine's widely available, as well as turbo gear, etc. For example the cylinder head I have on mine now was given to me for pretty much for nothing which I rebuilt myself.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about guys converting to manual from auto after having trouble with auto hubs engaging when it shouldn't, so I avoided manual to auto conversion, even though a guy offered me his auto's in exchange for my manuals. I've been just cautious.
    I've never had any issues with old Jackaroo auto hubs, and back then I thought all front 4WD hubs were auto.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast