Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Key, fob & NATS confusion.

Gents, I need some clarification.
    My keys and fobs are separate. I don't know whether the fob is aftermarket or genuine one that came with car. But it looks it.
    Lately one of my fobs (the one I use all the time, the other is a tucked away spare) has been picky, when locking/unlocking. I put it down to battery.

Over the weekend , I dived into crystal clear Jamieson river. Upon exit I realised my only key and fob with me were in my pocket. The other ones were 200km away at home. I s*** my self, because the key has a small crack on the corner exposing internals (see photo below). I thought, I'll be stranded as the NATS component in the key was now water logged. Hung it up and it dried for a few hours. FOB no longer unlocked/locked the car, but the key locks/unlocks fine and car starts no issues.

This morning I thought I'd address the issue and get the key sorted out before it breaks down even more and leaves me stranded somewhere . Got battery replaced in FOB at Mint. Now works perfectly. As for the key, I went to nissan and the bloke confused the s*** out of me...
    One nissan key was $250. Fob was $99. Plus programming was extra $150. And you had to get both re-programmed at once.
    Ok fair enough, if thats what it costs.... But it sounded suss to me, so I walked away and went back to Mister Mint who replaced my battery in the fob earlier.

He can get a key for $100, but I'd have to take it back to nissan to program. And he says the fob has nothing to do with NATS. All the NATS stuff is in the key itself. I was also under the assumption that for FOB is only for central locking nothing else. So I don't know if the nissan bloke was pulling my middle leg.

Can someone tell me whether the transponder for NATS is in the key only or fob too ? So if i dont unlock the car with the fob, the key won't start the car?
    Has anyone been through the process and can point me to a solid answer... Cheers.

2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Gents, I need some clarification.
    My keys and fobs are separate. I don't know whether the fob is aftermarket or genuine one that came with car. But it looks it.
    Lately one of my fobs (the one I use all the time, the other is a tucked away spare) has been picky, when locking/unlocking. I put it down to battery.

Over the weekend , I dived into crystal clear Jamieson river. Upon exit I realised my only key and fob with me were in my pocket. The other ones were 200km away at home. I s*** my self, because the key has a small crack on the corner exposing internals (see photo below). I thought, I'll be stranded as the NATS component in the key was now water logged. Hung it up and it dried for a few hours. FOB no longer unlocked/locked the car, but the key locks/unlocks fine and car starts no issues.

This morning I thought I'd address the issue and get the key sorted out before it breaks down even more and leaves me stranded somewhere . Got battery replaced in FOB at Mint. Now works perfectly. As for the key, I went to nissan and the bloke confused the s*** out of me...
    One nissan key was $250. Fob was $99. Plus programming was extra $150. And you had to get both re-programmed at once.
    Ok fair enough, if thats what it costs.... But it sounded suss to me, so I walked away and went back to Mister Mint who replaced my battery in the fob earlier.

He can get a key for $100, but I'd have to take it back to nissan to program. And he says the fob has nothing to do with NATS. All the NATS stuff is in the key itself. I was also under the assumption that for FOB is only for central locking nothing else. So I don't know if the nissan bloke was pulling my middle leg.

Can someone tell me whether the transponder for NATS is in the key only or fob too ? So if i dont unlock the car with the fob, the key won't start the car?
    Has anyone been through the process and can point me to a solid answer... Cheers.

Don't use Mr minit. They are turkeys. There's a great locksmith on high St Preston, just south of bell St who is in the know mate. I used him to get a new key and chip which he cut from the code supplied by nissan. Mr minit tried to cut the key from the old one and farked it up six times. Lucky I didn't pay for it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (27th November 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for your question. The transponder is only in the key, not the remote.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a local locksmith (not a shopping center booth) and they had Nissan blanks. They cut/copied my original key. They then put my key in a reader that copied the code. They then burned a new chip, inserted it into the key they had just cut and all worked perfectly. This was a few years ago but price was around $150. Some Nissan dealers are a rip off - especially to program the fob which takes about two minutes.

As Mudski said the fob only opens the doors remotely. You don't need it to unlock/open/start the Patrol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses gents.
    I figured Nissan place was to cost more ... But I was also under assumption only Nissan can code Nissan keys etc...
    I guess I'll go to a proper locksmith and sort it out.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric,

They are the factory keys and remote too, just in case you were still wondering .... the separate key and remote used to annoy me, and the later models are combined like they should be.

I never had to do it with my Patrol, but had to go through the re-coding procedure with a Falcon. Nissan will have to program BOTH of the FOBS at once for the Central Locking, as the system will only recognize the Fobs that are run through the coding procedure, and I am fairly sure that like the Falcon, commencing the procedure wipes out the original ones.

If both your Fobs are working OK, then I would leave as is. The Key is up to you, but for peace of mind you could get one from a good locksmith.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a non chipped key cut for when I went diving, just lock the real one in the car & use the waterproof one to open the door when you get back. Licking the salt off first is probably a good idea.
    Graham

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th November 2017), the evil twin (28th November 2017), TPC (28th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,985 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    I had a non chipped key cut for when I went diving, just lock the real one in the car & use the waterproof one to open the door when you get back. Licking the salt off first is probably a good idea.
    Graham
    Good idea, I have a key that I bought online that could not be programmed for my Patrol, can use it that way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Good idea, I have a key that I bought online that could not be programmed for my Patrol, can use it that way.
    I think what Graham means is you get the key "cut" only and not "programmed". This means you can open the door but there is no chip in the key so you can't start it.

You could hide this type of key under the car somewhere in case you lock your keys in the car - and even in the unlikely event someone found it - they could open the door but could not start the engine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Hodge (28th November 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    Graham
    Now there is a mighty idea.
    It can then simply be cut from a much cheaper non transponder key for a DX as a simple door opener. In case of trouble.

And keep the transponder key as a starter.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast