Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canopy for ute

Hi all
    Time to update old steel and vinyl canopy which has done a good job but need a bit more comfort to live out of when travelling.
    Have spent many many hours on net looking and then ringing some workshops. Won't touch cheap chinese crap (or anything chinese by choice) so need custom build. If you saw my welding from many years ago you would understand why I have to spend the money.
    Here in Hervey Bay they want a big premium for custom work and about 8 weeks + wait.
    Any recommendations for Brisbane to Bundy would be appreciated especially if you have one yourself.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Here in Hervey Bay they want a big premium for custom work and about 8 weeks + wait.
    Sorry mate can't really help with your question other than...................

It won't just be Hervey Bay, pretty much every fab shop in Australia doing custom work will charge the $$$$ and have that sorta lead time

Not sure what our lead times are at the moment for canopies but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't minimum 8+ weeks wait

I know its a big difference $ wise between custom and off the shelf but some of that Chinese of the shelf stuff is absolute rubbish, and good call staying away from it
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (30th December 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at Australian Work Leisure Canopy? https://www.awlc.com.au/nissan-canopies/

I have a "Australian Work Leisure Canopy" which I'm quiet happy with, that was already fitted to my Ex Electrical Authority 2013 Patrol.

It already had a 180Lt Water Tank and Shelving fitted. If I removed the Shelving from the Drivers Side, I'd have enough room to put a singe bed down within the canopy.

If you haven't already looked at AWLC, their based out of the Gold Coast.

Smaller JPEG.jpg

20200627_105325.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

Wizard52 (9th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A used ex Telstra canopy?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    A used ex Telstra canopy?
    Cuppa Mine?

Na Mine is a Ex-Essential Energy Work Ute . . . . not a Telstra vehicle.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do consider Wizard52 Mate the very real potential added extra costs of your GVM upgrade these expensive engineering certification days!
    GU coily utes circa 3,040kg (my current canvas bushwhacker), GU leafy utes circa 3,400kg (my oldest work 1/2 podder)
    Between the two I guesstimate now they had the same payload between setups FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Wizard52 Try STR in Bundaberg. 4151 8822 www.strproducts.com.au

Know naff all about them but a long established company. Longevity speaks volumes hereabouts.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant209 View Post
    Cuppa Mine?

Na Mine is a Ex-Essential Energy Work Ute . . . . not a Telstra vehicle.
    I should have been clearer. Was suggesting that Wiz might consider an ex Telstra canopy.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15FE155B-AD33-4E3F-8EAE-87D95F76F238.jpeg
    We are happy with the build and finish on our canopy from “My Toolbox” in Brendale QLD.
    Lots of custom options, we were ok with the price as well. Worth a look. Made on their premises, not China.
    Cheers
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (6th January 2021)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I should have been clearer. Was suggesting that Wiz might consider an ex Telstra canopy.
    Sorry lol

Are the Telstra ones XL Canopy?
    Last edited by Grant209; 7th January 2021 at 05:33 PM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast