Thread: Throttle controllers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throttle controllers

Hi again, I'm gradually working my way through all my questions. So, recently went for a drive up and back on Lennards track here in SW W.A. Car went brilliantly apart from an oversensitive throttle control. Usually my driving has been on the beach where it's a steady resistance, but crawling up and down rough tracks was quite difficult due to how sensitive the throttle actually is. So, my question is, has anybody tried these throttle controllers (Kings, Windbooster, Thrust Monkey etc) .. not to give more performance or quicker acceleration, but to slow down the initial response when crawling offroad?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (4th July 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Hi again, I'm gradually working my way through all my questions. So, recently went for a drive up and back on Lennards track here in SW W.A. Car went brilliantly apart from an oversensitive throttle control. Usually my driving has been on the beach where it's a steady resistance, but crawling up and down rough tracks was quite difficult due to how sensitive the throttle actually is. So, my question is, has anybody tried these throttle controllers (Kings, Windbooster, Thrust Monkey etc) .. not to give more performance or quicker acceleration, but to slow down the initial response when crawling offroad?
    Found the same issue, especially with mods they have good throttle response.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    down rough tracks was quite difficult due to how sensitive the throttle actually is. So, my question is, has anybody tried these throttle controllers (Kings, Windbooster, Thrust Monkey etc) .. not to give more performance or quicker acceleration, but to slow down the initial response when crawling offroad?
    Comments relevant to CRD only and based on my experience. CRD is drive by wire, with stock VNT solenoid controlling boost, I found the excessive throttle lag to be a real pain and all of a sudden would come on boost aggressively (non linear). The throttle control unit (kings) did help to make it less aggressive low down and improved driveability thru rough going (can be a bit sluggish though).

Best solution_install full manual boost control and use the needle valve to reduce spool when into rough stuff. Not into rolling my foot off pedal.

Was thinking of running two needle valves for off road use and switch between the two.

Moved on now and run max spool (Tillix with no needle valve). With ECU remap, currently trialing Tillix (for max boost) in conjunction with VNT Vac solenoid (for boost control) against Tillix only_Both being compared against each other and running both with and without throttle control unit.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I have is certainly not lack of power .. the only mod I have so far is the 3inch exhaust. It's a problem at almost idle speeds where it's is too sharp a response. So it's nothing to do with boost control and I'm happy with all other speeds. All I want to achieve is the damping down at the initial throttle opening.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Understand what U are concerned with. Yes the throttle control unit will help from low down (eg: off idle). It will slow up response (reduce spool up rate), in a similar manner to slowing up spool rate with opening up a needle valve.

With stock engine/3" exhaust, I used the throttle control unit with success and was able to drive tracks eg: lift up out of a deep ruts/washouts off low revs with improved control. Much less aggressive/surge like behavior.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesnt help that it's a manual .. maybe I should have gone auto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesnt help that it's a manual .. maybe I should have gone auto
    Only ever had manual boxes and prefer it that way (my preference).

On rough going you are not really bashing thru ratios. Try it out mate.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i think I will .. thanks for the info :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out the brands available, my kings is earlier variant that seems OK but others may be better choice_iDRIVE or those U mentioned.
    Give us some feedback of outcome.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it was the IDRIVE that seemed more adjustable in the lower ranges that caught my eye. The others seemed more focused on power which im not interested in at all. Will report back when I've got one fitted. I think that coupled with a dawes/needle valve will be great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast