Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was going to put 35s on but unsure

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was going to put 35s on but unsure

I was wanting 35s on and I was just going to risk being caught,buy paying a fine and having to chang equipment and less braking is one thing, but what I did'nt think of is the leagal implications of causing the death of someone and being charged or having to pay heafty medical bills, so I know people just chance that it will not happen to them but knowing my luck it might happen to me so what are peoples thoughts ?

20190528_092323.jpg
    Last edited by First Pooy; 28th May 2019 at 09:15 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're worried about it then just don't do it. You've answered your own question I think.

As far as I'm concerned bigger tyres have 2 benefits only, 1) they look good, 2) they give more clearance. Some people may dispute point 1.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (28th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of folk do put bigger tyres on, often combined with illegal lifts, but the insurance companies know that. If you get unlucky & have an accident you can bet that tyre size (& lift height) will be something which comes under scrutiny as a simple matter of routine. If the insurance company say "your bigger tyres contributed to the accident (& they most likely will) it will be up to you to try to prove different. This alone could cost thousands & fail. But this amount would pale into insignificance if you have to spend the rest of your life paying for someones death or permanent disability.

Another aspect is that whilst the extra ground clearance gained from bigger tyres is tempting, & useful in rocky country, if used in wet & muddy conditions is IMHO a selfish & antisocial thing to do. It simply ends up making deeper ruts which anyone with legal tyres cannot manage.

Having a set of bigger tyres, carried & fitted at the off road venue is probably the most sensible solution, but a real pain in the proverbial, so many just fit them when heading off on a 4wd outing & drive extra cautiously whilst on their way to the off road venue to mitigate the risk. But no-one plans to have an accident. Having them fitted permanently just to look 'tough' is foolish in my book. If a 4wd injured or killed anyone I love you can be sure I'd be looking to see if they had illegal mods which potentially affected braking or stability.

I don't expect this view to be shared by all & some may argue that it's possible to be safe, maintaining adequate braking & stability, whilst having these mods. Regardless of this they still run the legal risk, not of being caught, but of what happens to their lives if things do go pear shaped.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 28th May 2019 at 09:44 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (28th May 2019), rusty_nail (28th May 2019), TPC (31st May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Plenty of folk do put bigger tyres on, often combined with illegal lifts, but the insurance companies know that. If you get unlucky & have an accident you can bet that tyre size (& lift height) will be something which comes under scrutiny as a simple matter of routine. If the insurance company say "your bigger tyres contributed to the accident (& they most likely will) it will be up to you to try to prove different. This alone could cost thousands & fail. But this amount would pale into insignificance if you have to spend the rest of your life paying for someones death or permanent disability.

Another aspect is that whilst the extra ground clearance gained from bigger tyres is tempting, & useful in rocky country, if used in wet & muddy conditions is IMHO a selfish & antisocial thing to do. It simply ends up making deeper ruts which anyone with legal tyres cannot manage.

Having a set of bigger tyres, carried & fitted at the off road venue is probably the most sensible solution, but a real pain in the proverbial, so many just fit them when heading off on a 4wd outing & drive extra cautiously whilst on their way to the off road venue to mitigate the risk. But no-one plans to have an accident. Having them fitted permanently just to look 'tough' is foolish in my book. If a 4wd injured or killed anyone I love you can be sure I'd be looking to see if they had illegal mods which potentially affected braking or stability.

I don't expect this view to be shared by all & some may argue that it's possible to be safe, maintaining adequate braking & stability, whilst having these mods. Regardless of this they still run the legal risk, not of being caught, but of what happens to their lives if things do go pear shaped.
    Thanks for taking the time for a good relpy, this why I asked for opinions popular or not

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remeber dargo @AB. First thing the boys in blue look at, even before you stop.

That was the last time I had 35s on. Not worth it' been a daily.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

AB (28th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was going to put 35s on but unsure

I have a legal stock Gq Ute work car and a Wagon fun Gq with 35” tyres and a decent 2” OME lift, gu diffs and brakes. Hands down my wagon is a much safer vehicle to drive but rules are rules unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

10G (29th May 2019), Rossco (28th May 2019), Winnie (28th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You might get away with 315s not 100% sure though
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    You might get away with 315s not 100% sure though
    Nah they are just the same as 35s.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

threedogs (1st June 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, in reality, a good set of 33" will get you most places that 35" will go, and still be legal, and also save you a bit of money.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    IMO, in reality, a good set of 33" will get you most places that 35" will go, and still be legal, and also save you a bit of money.
    I was reading that a set of 33s with lockers are as good as a set of 35s and then it would be leagal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast