Thread: Back to stock wheels

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to stock wheels

Just swapped out my 33" BFG muds & steelies, and put the stock mags & tyres on for a trip to Tassie is a couple of weeks. Not doing any serious off-road stuff while there. Forgot just how good she drives and runs on the standard set. Engine performs better, and no shakes or wobbles. It's become a pleasure to drive again. Should have done this ages ago. Might put some BFG AT's on when I get back, and keep the 33" muds for when I really need them. Do the AT's cause the same shakes & wobbles like the muds?
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

katwoman (24th July 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,257 Times in 6,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My AT's wobble more than the MT's. I think its down to rim quality, condition and how well the fitter can balance them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (24th July 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    My AT's wobble more than the MT's. I think its down to rim quality, condition and how well the fitter can balance them.
    That's interesting. I tend to agree with you. I think it's the combination of bad steel rims and BFG muds. At least it is in my case. I did everything humanly possible to fix the shakes & wobbles on mine. Got it down to "bearable", but it still had minor shakes at 80-90klph. Used to annoy the crap out of me. The stock tyres & wheels are brilliant. No wobbles or shakes at all. I'm hoping that at set of BFG AT's on the stock mags will be the same.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 24th July 2018 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to stock wheels

Like Mudski said BB mate, our tyre wobbles are only as good as our trusted blokes fitting/balancing them IMHO.
    FWIW I’m a staunch BFG MT for our local needs and do also rate their AT’s highly for longevity on only two little highway trucks trialled to date.
    I do have concerns for AT’s highway traction on our greasy overhanging Gumtree roads, only ‘assuming’ they’re a whisker too hard of a compound, but hey, I’ll just drive slower for 100,000kms :-)
    EDIT: Talking previous AT’s, believe they’ve got a new fancy version with sidewall traction patterns for buyers excitement, maybe highway softer, repeat buy custom too :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 24th July 2018 at 09:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (24th July 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Like Mudski said BB mate, our tyre wobbles are only as good as our trusted blokes fitting/balancing them IMHO.
    FWIW I’m a staunch BFG MT for our local needs and do also rate their AT’s highly for longevity on only two little highway trucks trialled to date.
    I do have concerns for AT’s highway traction on our greasy overhanging Gumtree roads, only ‘assuming’ they’re a whisker too hard of a compound, but hey, I’ll just drive slower for 100,000kms :-)

I know what your saying, and I also like the BFG muds, but in my case, AT's would work well for my needs 80% of the time, with only the remainder preferring muds. I spent an obscene amount of time & money trying to sort the steelies & muds out. Nothing totally fixed the issue, and it would always come back. As for BFG AT's longevity, I experienced better than 80-90 thousand klms each, out of two sets, in ten years, on two Prados. Went everywhere on them, and never had an issue with them. I think I only ever had one flat tyre in all that time. Everyone has their own preferences, but I would like to hear from someone that has the new BFG AT's fitted to stock mags before I lay out more cash.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 24th July 2018 at 09:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

MB (24th July 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,257 Times in 6,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    EDIT: Talking previous AT’s, believe they’ve got a new fancy version with sidewall traction patterns for buyers excitement, maybe highway softer, repeat buy custom too :-)

Yeah my MT's have way more grip on the black top when the roads are wet. So, if I feel like some sideways action when its raining, on go the AT's. Haha! But yeah, I do think they might be a bit too hard. I wonder what their new AT's are like.