Page 92 of 135 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe just drinking then ME mate, thank you ;-)
    Does seem to take us all into, “how to” , stop oil cooler/line flow back into our sumps? Personally do love your idea/proven of mounting up higher bullbar for awesome efficiency!! Another bonus I do find with your new setup is true oil changes with a little patience added although some crud will stay in all cooler setups from their own lowest drain points?
    Can only ‘imagine’ now that a lowest storage/canister pre cooler with a dump/oil change HP valve would further assist oil volume needed and siphon back height pressure/air issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (4th January 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, the retained volume of oil in both new oil cooler tubes is just on 0.4L. being that left in the the crescent below the connection fitting. If you wanted to, you could simply unbolt the cooler and tip it up on its end, still connected to the hoses and pull out 99% of that, pretty simple, 4 small bolts. Couple of lemons with this still, I think the other thing you need to confirm is if your oil lines enter the top or bottom of the BD oil cooler; should be the bottom, otherwise there is no way of draining the oil from the cooler, PLUS, you may still need to crack a line on the BD oil cooler as your circuit is heading 'uphill' - follow it thru on the truck and you will see what i mean - mine runs into a small 'u' bend loop and this small quantity of oil will just have to stay there and get diluted by the new oil - maybe half a cup at most - not important in the scheme of things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (5th January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matfew View Post
    Coolers are all on the low pressue side from what I have seem in most cars Phil. Never seen any finned heat transfer unit in a car capable of holding much more then 20psi haha.
    Matty, the oil coolers on the chev are fully pressurised, rated at 300psi and hoses at 500psi, screwed fittings - just found this out with my oil cooler addition. The new coolers are pressure rated at 500psi also.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

matfew (4th January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Kindly received some pics today from http://www.blitsbodykits.com.au/ for the GU Supercharger bonnets if anyone needs raised @rainsey Cheers mate!
    I believe this one below is for GU4 and onwards: I believe this one below is for earlier:
    Wendy there was very helpful so give em a call if you GU blokes need.

@MB, have you checked yet about the missing side vents? Funny enough the picture of the bonnet fitted to the GU does not have them - maybe needed to specifically ask for them?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (5th January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as yet mate, have been flat out myself and figure they’d still be on holidays. The picture we had discussed fitment over email was this one below they sent me so I guess I just assumed they came with it :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pfft, why do you want vents in the Bonnet?

Aesthetics?
    IMHO it looks a bit daggy and the Patrol in the pic looks shmicko
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Pfft, why do you want vents in the Bonnet?

Aesthetics?
    IMHO it looks a bit daggy and the Patrol in the pic looks shmicko
    I think they are working on the flow of air into the front and some small amount going out of the side vent.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I think they are working on the flow of air into the front and some small amount going out of the side vent.
    Yeah, I spose...

IMHO vents that small will do bugger all.
    There is a wacking great fan/s shoving a gazillion cubes a minute of air out the 2 square metre hole in the bottom of the engine bay so a couple of dinky little vents won't do much.

I have seen posts advocating and/or claiming raising the rear of the bonnet off the seal gets good results.
    Personally, I remain sceptical of those claims as well.

I do agree cooler ambient air will enter thru the scoop at reasonable vehicle speeds which will help rather than the hotter air post Rad

All just my opinion tho...
    Last edited by the evil twin; 5th January 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the primary reason for this bonnet modification by the manufacturer was to provide additional engine clearance when motor swaps take place, plus a desire to get a bit of air into the engine bay. I think at low speed where the vac effect does not take place, there might be some improvement; certainly adding a side exhaust path would help to induce flow, but to your point, the mass escape path is downwards. I have installed actual bonnet gills above my motor and cannot notice any tangible change in reduced temps at highway speeds. Unfortunately I had the faulty fan coupling come into play on the first 4wd outing, so they didn't help much there either. Time will tell, but there certainly is a high temp flow of air venting from the bonnet out the gills when the vehicle is stopped and engine off, and a positive but not high flow when stopped and the engine is running.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’evening good Blokes!!
    I guess my latest wacky theory again of the side vents expected upon arrival was in relation to a multiple alternator rack install in replacement of the now removed massive Donaldson NA keg sized air filter behind the center of manifold intake. The 4” Millweld custom system a while ago now seems to be working very well on noticeable say 10% ish cooler power & fuel up the short highways. All that great space left back there now has been an area of “what to do with” for my way of thinking:-(
    Last trip on ‘Dingo Hill Track’ (at best 2kmph) I did overheat by foolish total truck design my 170amp pimped GQ alt.
    As always, is very possibly a knee-jerk reaction on my behalf again!

Page 92 of 135 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast