Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It amazes me that after 28 odd years of doing the same thing using out of date engines that there are still issues.
    People change, parts manufacturers change, rules change, vehicles change. Reverting to 'electronic free engines' isn't really a step backwards, just makes them simpler. The optimiser is a brand new block design with tried and tested old school parts. Works for me because I can fix it. What is of concern is the detail bits that either get overlooked or ignored. Stuff like overheating is always going to be a problem due to avail radiator size and a large block jammed in a shoe box, so the owner has to compromise and accept the shortfalls for owning something different I guess.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

rainsey (8th December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do they use the newer injector pumps yet? (DS -4 ) Last I spoke to them they just put them in the corner and used the older type which isnt as good. (DB-2 ).
    Last edited by nissannewby; 8th December 2016 at 10:26 AM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they use the newer injector pumps yet? (DS -4 ) Last I spoke to them they just put them in the corner and used the older type which isnt as good. (DB-2 ).
    I don't know.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DB-2 mechanical Matty BD are scared of any thing electronic lol
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (8th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Craig,

Re the catch can, just take what they give you and change it if it does not suit. I have a great HPD unit that I am going to swap around when I get time. The catchcan they supply is pretty basic as is its filtering, but what the heck, the fact that they put one on standard is in my books a good thing.
    Yep, my plan was to see how the one they install performs and go from there.

Re the hydraulic brake booster, bugger me I am jealous. I asked Greg about them a month or so back and he knew nothing about them. If it is Marks Adapters unit it looks fantastic.

When you get it in please keep me updated as to how it goes as for what, around $1200, it is supposed to double your brake performance. You also need the stainless brake lines as well to cater for the extra pressure.

I have had my finger hovering over the purchase now button for months. Ill take it away until I hear back from you.
    Close, $1,540 when you include the braided lines, which I think you'd be crazy not to do. You must have instigated Greg to do some research because I rang and asked him what power steering pump they install with the Optimizer about three weeks ago and he suggested doing it all at once would be the best plan so as to get it all engineered at the same time.

Re the electrics, yes I do tend to agree as the initial issue I had on receipt of my truck was silly things like earth lines not re connected and the main power cable from the battery to the fuse block only being finger tight, which subsequently vibrated even looser. Greg was ready to ship me a new alternator before I figured this out.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey
    Unfortunately for them, I am an Electrical Technician by trade and will make a point of crawling over every inch of the install before they get all of my hard earned :P

Cheers
    Craig
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Craig,
    I have just taken delivery of my GQ with the n/a optimiser engine. There were a couple of minor things with the finish but nothing to harp on about. I unfortunately experienced a couple of failures due to incorrect springs being installed, however despite it raising the blood pressure, BD have taken the load and replaced the components without hesitation. Couple of points worth mentioning to improve your outcome
    I'm interested in why BD were changing your springs in the first place?

Was it to do with your GVM upgrade? Maybe a GQ thing?

1) I would keep the scope of work as 'standard' as possible. Variation from the typical conversion takes time and in my case didn't end well.
    They only thing non standard I'll have them doing is the hydo brake upgrade and even that will only be in the engine bay, I'll have already installed the brake lines and new pads before I drop the vehicle off.

I'll be installing the cruise control when I get the car back, I only have to make sure the correct bracket is fitted when I pick it up.

2) when you get your quote, make sure it includes EVERYTHING' required for the conversion. I ended up with a list of replacement parts that really should have been disclosed at the time of the quote, so the price went up. I don't dispute the need, more the delayed disclosure of parts for what has been done many many times - stuff like power steering pump upgrade from 2.8 to 4.2, power clutch booster, upgraded alternator, front springs to name a few.
    This is not my quote but it was based on this, the pamphlet they were handing out at the recent Perth 4WD Show.

I consider that fairly comprehensive.

3) I think the gvm upgrade is a lot easier in WA than to get than over here and I am having all sorts of dramas getting the WA certification recognised - in fact its likely the cost is going to be refunded for this and it will cost 2-3 times what BD charged me - Vicroads are painful.
    That's a bummer and here I was thinking that WA was the nanny state :P

4) Check those front springs - and make sure they are at least what are termed 100kg rated coils (somewhere around the 19mm dia it looks). Unfortunately mine was fitted with 50kg units with serious consequences. I put this down to a simple error to be honest or a mix up at BD with their stocks. The ones currently in mine are being upgraded on monday - happy to share the final selection, however performance is something I will have to delay comment on. Also, make a point of getting BD to guarantee the front bump stops are configured to 100% not allow contact with the sump or the starter motor - they simply need to drop the coils out and pivot the bump diff upwards to a point where a mechanical stop can be determined. Don't trust the rubber bump stops to protect you - you need a block of steel/plastic to provide the travel restriction. Your typical driving might be different to mine, but rutted steep and shagged tracks are the norm here as against miles and miles of long haul and corrugations. This is another thing happening on monday - I punched a hole in the sump and smashed the tiebar off the starter. If you mention these points , Scotty and his crw will address them - I was caught out with wrong springs, so here is the lesson I guess.

Anyway, I love the grunt, coming from a 2.8TD and the torque is great. I think the conversion is worth the coin and have faith in BD regards their build quality.
    Nope, similar driving, it's definitely not a shopping trolley.

Cheers
    Craig
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent Craig

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Ropes (8th December 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are another couple of pics for you. I found a little earthing issue when I pulled my thermostats trying to work out why my engine ran hot. This had nothing to do with it, but you may want to check yours... I had to buy a new housing and added an earth wire to prevent it from re-occurring.

Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you run the earth wire from and to where- direct to battery?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Here are another couple of pics for you. I found a little earthing issue when I pulled my thermostats trying to work out why my engine ran hot. This had nothing to do with it, but you may want to check yours... I had to buy a new housing and added an earth wire to prevent it from re-occurring.

That looks a lot like a mix of different coolants to me
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

Page 44 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast