Thread: Ask all your general ( none related forum ) computer questions here

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    So with the new lappy it had 4gb ram installed and I had a spare 2gb ram so installed that

Went into the system properties and is says

Installed Memory ( RAM ) 6GB
    (2.70GB Usable )

Whats using up the rest? Im sure it said the same thing when it only had the 4GB installed but not 100% certain????? Whats the go
    hmmm... 32 bit OS installed? where is your readout of the useable memory coming from>
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with the new lappy it had 4gb ram installed and I had a spare 2gb ram so installed that

Went into the system properties and is says

Installed Memory ( RAM ) 6GB
    (2.70GB Usable )

Whats using up the rest? Im sure it said the same thing when it only had the 4GB installed but not 100% certain????? Whats the go
    Is the extra ram you added compatible? How many ram slots does the computer have, if it's 4 slots have you tried the ram in slots 1 and 3? I usually find its best to stick wih the ram in matched pairs. Yes it can work if they aren't identical but it can also cause issues. Computers shouldn't come with less than 8gb these days, 4gb is barely cutting it. Do you know what the motherboards max ram capacity is? You might be better just upgrading to a single 8gb stick.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Is the extra ram you added compatible? How many ram slots does the computer have, if it's 4 slots have you tried the ram in slots 1 and 3? I usually find its best to stick wih the ram in matched pairs. Yes it can work if they aren't identical but it can also cause issues. Computers shouldn't come with less than 8gb these days, 4gb is barely cutting it. Do you know what the motherboards max ram capacity is? You might be better just upgrading to a single 8gb stick.
    He's on the the path... Kind of. The ram being compatible is crucial with ddr4 ram but less with DDR3. With DDR3 the ram will just reduce the clock speed of the fastest ram to match the slower ram. It's much more likely this is software or (as you stated) motherboard related.

Also, his laptop is most likely to have only two slots, I'm yet to see a laptop with more than two slots in 10 years of operating them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    hmmm... 32 bit OS installed? where is your readout of the useable memory coming from>
    Probable not Steve, I know your meant 2 match the ram pairs but this is a second hand lappy I got for free, no intention of spending money on it that's for sure, probable just give it 2 my daughter 2 do schools assignments on or use it out in the shed for music and the RFS online scanner

@rusty_nail, Yeh Nic, 32bit

ScreenHunter 01.png

ScreenHunter 02.png
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    He's on the the path... Kind of. The ram being compatible is crucial with ddr4 ram but less with DDR3. With DDR3 the ram will just reduce the clock speed of the fastest ram to match the slower ram. It's much more likely this is software or (as you stated) motherboard related.

Also, his laptop is most likely to have only two slots, I'm yet to see a laptop with more than two slots in 10 years of operating them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd assume if its a new laptop it will have DDR4, and while not likely to have 4 slots with only 4gb of ram as standard, there are plenty of high end and gaming laptops with 4 slots. A Dell Precison 7540 is one example, up to 128Gb of ram in 4 x 32gb slots.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (29th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snap, I was typing the above prior to seeing your post that is a 2nd hand lappy. The 32 bit operating system will only use a max 4gb, I'd just remove the 2nd stick.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snap, I was typing the above prior to seeing your post that is a 2nd hand lappy. The 32 bit operating system will only use a max 4gb, I'd just remove the 2nd stick.
    Worth putting in another drive win windows 10 on it or pretty much catch 22 for an extra 2gb?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=NissanGQ4.2;791709]Worth putting in another drive win windows 10 on it or pretty much catch 22 for an extra 2gb?[/QUOT

The i5-2410M processor supports a 64gb operating system, so yes if you upgrade to 64 bit windows 10 it will support the additional ram. The best bang for buck upgrade you can do is to upgrade to an SSD, I'm not sure if your motherboard supports it though, I'd need the full model name to check.
    Sometimes it's just not worth upgrading older computers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stevemc181;791713]
    Worth putting in another drive win windows 10 on it or pretty much catch 22 for an extra 2gb?[/QUOT

The i5-2410M processor supports a 64gb operating system, so yes if you upgrade to 64 bit windows 10 it will support the additional ram. The best bang for buck upgrade you can do is to upgrade to an SSD, I'm not sure if your motherboard supports it though, I'd need the full model name to check.
    Sometimes it's just not worth upgrading older computers.
    Most times its not worth upgrading, I'm pretty sure I have a spare hdd knocking around that has win10 on it but its not ssd, thought I had a spare ssd 2 but can't seem 2 hind it, but I do have some other drives down in the backroom in a box that I have not been through yet, hopefully will have one knocking around

Thanks for you help guys

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any good tips for installing a new Windows 10?I tried upgrading from my original Windows 7, but it didn't work.
    2 days ago,my friend recommended these to me,they said they would help me,yeah,they did do.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...s-10-for-free/
    https://www.androidphonesoft.com/res...on-new-pc.html
    Last edited by bennieclem; 18th November 2019 at 08:18 PM.

Page 160 of 175 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast