OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: What Oil Do You Use for Diesel Engines?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey GeeYou8 when I get my patrol serviced at Nissan I supply the oil so you don't get the dealers crap cheapo oil, I only use penrite and they deduct $90 off the capped price service cost because I supplied the oil just a thought
    GU8 Simpson Pack-Auto 2" lift, Dual Batts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vfamily For This Useful Post:

GeeYou8 (2nd January 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vfamily View Post
    hey GeeYou8 when I get my patrol serviced at Nissan I supply the oil so you don't get the dealers crap cheapo oil, I only use penrite and they deduct $90 off the capped price service cost because I supplied the oil just a thought
    Sounds good, I will have to ask the dealer.
    Due for service on time, only done 4000km, so might be just a home oil & filter change.
    Graham

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GU, Thelma, has done 560,000 ks. 2 years ago I changed to Penrite 5w-40 and I know the engine just feels right. She is my bread and butter so I do pamper her. Used to use Gulf Western but she likes Penrite. The 5w-40 is more expensive but I can stretch the changes out, that's the reason I changed. Often don't get home inside 8000 ks.
    Are you ready for Christmas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen a mechanic for a service , supplied him with my left over 15w-40, and he almost had a fit . Showed me his book of engine specifications and oil info and shows that 10w-40 is the factory recommendation for the zd30, and that I should NEVER use mineral 15w and only synth 10w. According to him 15w can cause long term damage. But have had my trol for a year now and only been using 15w diesel specific. Can anyone shed some light and provide some input on their experiences with 10w (non diesel specific types, full synthetic )

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Penrite HPD 10W-40 semi-synth

Was doing 5K oil & filter changes. Oil comes out still way too good and clean, pushed back to 7500's, same, now settled on 10K intervals unless doing a big trip then done early.
    There is no legal cure for STUPID!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
    Penrite HPD 10W-40 semi-synth

Was doing 5K oil & filter changes. Oil comes out still way too good and clean, pushed back to 7500's, same, now settled on 10K intervals unless doing a big trip then done early.
    How long have you been using the penrite? Been looking into it for my next service. How's the price compared to say castrol for example ?

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only ever use CAT DEO 15W/40 in all of our diesels, the last TD42 I stripped after it had done 520000km from new and the bigends and mains were still in amazing condition. I was amazed at how good they looked.

I also send SOS3 Oil samples in to the CAT lab on each oil change to keep an eye on engine wear. They send back a detailed report with Its well worth the extra $30 for piece of mind.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micktickner1980 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th June 2016), GQtdauto (8th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run Valvoline Engine Armour Diesel Synthetic 15w50 in myZD30 since Ive had it , it'd done 180,000kms when I got it - now it's done 260,000 . Was changing at 5000kms but oil was still good , done the last 3 services at 7500kms . Got last oil change sampled & was well within guidelines. Just noticed it's done 8500kms since last service ( I've had bigger issues to worry about ) & still hasn't burnt a drop going by the dipstick . Will change it this weekend though . EGR blocked , NADs kitted , catch can , chip etc & gets driven hard . Can't speak highly enough of the Valvoline oil . Usually about $70 for 10 litres but my missus got it at Supercheap last weekend & old mate scanned it through at $45 for 10lts 👍🏼 Bargain

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    I've run Valvoline Engine Armour Diesel Synthetic 15w50 in myZD30 since Ive had it , it'd done 180,000kms when I got it - now it's done 260,000 . Was changing at 5000kms but oil was still good , done the last 3 services at 7500kms . Got last oil change sampled & was well within guidelines. Just noticed it's done 8500kms since last service ( I've had bigger issues to worry about ) & still hasn't burnt a drop going by the dipstick . Will change it this weekend though . EGR blocked , NADs kitted , catch can , chip etc & gets driven hard . Can't speak highly enough of the Valvoline oil . Usually about $70 for 10 litres but my missus got it at Supercheap last weekend & old mate scanned it through at $45 for 10lts 👍🏼 Bargain
    I'd have thought you where buying it in Bulk for the truck mate?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do buy bulk engine oil for the truck - Atlantic oil . The specs are right for it to be run in the Patrol but I'm a bit sceptical on changing brands in engines when it runs sweet on the Valvoline & doesn't burn a drop even on extended service intervals ( as it's synthetic) . Same for the truck - the big Cummins doesn't burn a drop of oil between services . It's got a BIG program in it & is tuned up to within an inch of its life & works hard everyday so I'm more than happy with the Atlantic oils performance , That's what my boss has always used in it since it was rebuilt just before I started driving it for him , then when I bought it 12months later I did a deal with him going halves in the 1000lt IPC of the same oil so just stuck with it . Oil is funny shit - Cummins choice of oil was Valvoline Premium blue but lots of new Cummins engines were burning oil - change back to the standard Valvoline & the oil burning problems disappear. Every one has there own theories on oil but while each of my engines don't use any of their respective brands I'll leave it as it is . I Have thought about running the Atlantic oil in the Patrol purely for convenience but it's not that big a drama .

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223