Thread: What constant load rear springs to buy

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What constant load rear springs to buy

Hey guys just wondering what other people are running in a 4 inch lifted constant load rear spring as im looking to upgrade my springs shortly
    1990 gq wagon td42 with roof rack, rooftop tent, rear draws 40lt water tank 20L(ish) Engel and a 40L Engle as well as all of the camping gear aka bbq plate and camp oven
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HigginsGQ, I have a 1997 set up as follows. I have 3" lift nominal Dobinson coils all round, but with the load it sits around the 2" above factory.

Rear axle weight from weighbridge is 1780kg. I run Dobinson 400kg constant arte coils, part number C45-105 and then a pair of BOSS LA15 external airbags that sit between the axle housing and chassis rails. I run Koni hydraulic shockers. Weight is from a heavy rear step with winch and wheel carrier, roof rack, 120L water tank, 230L fuel tank 60L engel 200a/hr battery and extensive spares and tools. The airbags are used to trim and add approx 40mm height to the rear suspension at 40psi inflation pressure.

The ride is good, gives adequate flex for my style of moderate high country driving, I removed the sway bar and it wallows like a pig, but could also be the airbags coming into play. Front springs are Dobinsons 3" 110kg (model C45-108)constant rate, front axle load is 1480kg off weighbridge, running Koni hydraulic shockers and extended front bump stops. Up front I have a chev diesel v8, hydraulic winch, twin batteries and bullbar/side rails.

I am happy with this set-up but looking at either hydraulic bump stops or bump stop extension spacers on the front to reduce possibility of sump contact with front diff housing - has happened before.

Hope this helps. I presented these weights to both ARB and Dobinsons to help with spring selection and neither had any idea how they could be used to select a spring appropriate for use, so it came down to swapping out springs as a trial and error activity within a close selection band, based on the sales guys experience. It took perhaps 3 hrs but they more or less nailed it.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 26th March 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly following. I talked to a couple places and given my set up is somewhat similar to yours they recommended going 200 in the rear. I just ordered lovells 225 constant rear in 4inch. I also occasionally tow a camper trailer and may look @ airbags for assistance later on if necessary.

Lovells have a 5 year warranty on their coils. Will be interested in hearing what you decide on.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazq View Post
    Mainly following. I talked to a couple places and given my set up is somewhat similar to yours they recommended going 200 in the rear. I just ordered lovells 225 constant rear in 4inch. I also occasionally tow a camper trailer and may look @ airbags for assistance later on if necessary.

Lovells have a 5 year warranty on their coils. Will be interested in hearing what you decide on.
    As a heads up, I think you need to consider a spring tower kit if installing the airbags inside the springs as you increase the risk of breakage due to the stiffer assy. I had these initially then changed to the triple BOSS external airbags as they take the load off the spring seat and transfer it directly into the chassis rail without a bending moment.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    As a heads up, I think you need to consider a spring tower kit if installing the airbags inside the springs as you increase the risk of breakage due to the stiffer assy. I had these initially then changed to the triple BOSS external airbags as they take the load off the spring seat and transfer it directly into the chassis rail without a bending moment.
    Like the superior braces? Thanks for the food for thought. That is some serious weight in the rear of yours.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think the units you can buy from Patrol a Part at $525 are better than the superior units I have which are weld in - in pieces - the one piece units were not around when I did the coil strengthening 15 yrs ago.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    HigginsGQ, I have a 1997 set up as follows. I have 3" lift nominal Dobinson coils all round, but with the load it sits around the 2" above factory.

Rear axle weight from weighbridge is 1780kg. I run Dobinson 400kg constant arte coils, part number C45-105 and then a pair of BOSS LA15 external airbags that sit between the axle housing and chassis rails. I run Koni hydraulic shockers. Weight is from a heavy rear step with winch and wheel carrier, roof rack, 120L water tank, 230L fuel tank 60L engel 200a/hr battery and extensive spares and tools. The airbags are used to trim and add approx 40mm height to the rear suspension at 40psi inflation pressure.

The ride is good, gives adequate flex for my style of moderate high country driving, I removed the sway bar and it wallows like a pig, but could also be the airbags coming into play. Front springs are Dobinsons 3" 110kg (model C45-108)constant rate, front axle load is 1480kg off weighbridge, running Koni hydraulic shockers and extended front bump stops. Up front I have a chev diesel v8, hydraulic winch, twin batteries and bullbar/side rails.

I am happy with this set-up but looking at either hydraulic bump stops or bump stop extension spacers on the front to reduce possibility of sump contact with front diff housing - has happened before.

Hope this helps. I presented these weights to both ARB and Dobinsons to help with spring selection and neither had any idea how they could be used to select a spring appropriate for use, so it came down to swapping out springs as a trial and error activity within a close selection band, based on the sales guys experience. It took perhaps 3 hrs but they more or less nailed it.
    Wow that it one hell of a load!!
    Iv been looking at the dobinson c45-313t linear 100-250kg for the rears and going with the c45-270v flexis for the front both are 4 inch.
    id rather stay with just coils instead of adding bags as thats just one more thing for me to break off on the tracks

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bags are fairly well protected and do give some adjustment that the coils alone won't, however give the set-up a try, as you can always retrofit the airbags later. I have ripped an airline out but that was when I rolled a tyre off the rim and kept driving as I couldnt stop due to the location on the track.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, we’ve had ‘Boss’ tower bolt on braces (braces GU mandatory IMHO seen) installed on the old family wagon and the inner max 30psi Polyair bags swapped into it from my GU coily ute. Adjustability is awesome from hauling Pony’s to much bigger Nags with varying towball weights on old bad design floats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk