Thread: 130 amp Alternator for 4.2tdi

Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW #2:
    Dating back say only 5 years ago we could all purchase GU & GQ 140A alternators readily available from major offroad retailers (stores) Australia wide.
    It is my personal belief the reason they are not available now is due to diode and OEM belt issues as experienced above.
    Baxters has the highest Amperage (off the shelf) for GU’s (130A) that I know of now and only a (100A) for GQ’s with the vaccy pumpy back on them.
    Happy to be corrected, if so please, I’ll buy 10 of each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I sell some seriously heavy duty 13A belts at work Marko. The Gates Fleetrunner range are top notch. Phil and Eric can vouch for them.

Agree Mark, my experience with moving to the green fleetguard has been trouble free. The 6 micro rib belts supplied with the kit simply stretched after a couple of hours use and the auto tensioner was unable to keep them from squealing. I did have some very ordinary alignment issues that 'ol eagle eyes @MB picked up on, however the standard series belts still stretched. The only issue I have had with the fleetguard is the back cover surface is 'sticky' when i first start up, and it sounded like I had a 'clicking' bearing - took a while to diagnose as the belt 'popping off' the idler roller. A puff with some graphite powder fixed it instantly. I mention this only as an observation and remedy if someone else strikes it. The dimensional stability is great, but, I upgraded the drive from 6 to 8 rib after hearing about issues with the 6 rib stretching by other users with the s/c, and still find it pretty easy to get them to squeal as well with 8 rib, but thats more a driver issue than the belt. All my pulleys are steel, so good friction surface. If you run aluminium pulleys you may strike slippage though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re a Legend Philstar
    Glad you cleared that up in case we thought we could haul 300Ampy alternators off a 13A

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    You’re a Legend Philstar
    Glad you cleared that up in case we thought we could haul 300Ampy alternators off a 13A

If you look at the Dayco chart from ET, 310a = 8 rib, so its on the money. I have run 200a off a single 13a, however it did chew thru belts. It was one of those 14V alternators with a converter pack to run as an arc welder and 240v power supply - made by uni power. As an alternator it rarely pulled over 100amps, but when welding it used the whole 200a and thats what shortened the belt life - drive surfaces were actually tacky from the slip that would take place and heaps of smoke after a couple of minutes loaded up. I don't know what they never ran then with 2A belt config. Anyway, it was moved on after a lot of frustration. There is simply nothing like reading the instructions as the selection charts are there for a reason.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure Mate, this Forum is GOLD
    Many other factors too as you’ve always known but I’ve learnt thankfully on here is the percentage of drive pulley wrap around the circumferences to assist grip on modified setups. Also as Nissannewby kindly mentioned above the specific power curve of aftermarket alternators versus rpm speed needs can be hard to balance in my nuffy findings. A simple pulley size reduction for slower track rpm use can sometimes be needed to pep up alternator speeds too I think?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    The only issue I have had with the fleetguard is the back cover surface is 'sticky' when i first start up, and it sounded like I had a 'clicking' bearing - took a while to diagnose as the belt 'popping off' the idler roller. A puff with some graphite powder fixed it instantly. I mention this only as an observation and remedy if someone else strikes it.
    Phil mate, please elaborate this a tad more... You have my attention! So you're saying the outer "green" skin of the belt sticks and clicks when cold or something?

As mentioned earlier in the thread. Slapped on a new Hitachi 100A Alternator unit not long ago. While at it I slapped on a set of the Green belts from @mudski ...
    "Sometimes" in the morning at start-up there is a minor "ticking" noise with no consistent pattern, which fades minutes after idling from start ANd/or I give it few revs...
    As the belts AND the Alt went on at the same time, I'm unsure where to begin looking, but now that you've mentioned this i'm intrigued!
    2005 TD42TI

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (15th May 2021), PeeBee (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philstar is running a 26m long ‘Serpentine’ 8 rib belt on his 6.5L Supercharged Chevy GQ Hodgey Mate!
    The back of the Serpy he found sticking to the idler pulleys which is different to your V belt OEM idler pulley stretching from the inner outwards

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2021), PeeBee (15th May 2021)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Philstar is running a 26m long ‘Serpentine’ 8 rib belt on his 6.5L Supercharged Chevy GQ Hodgey Mate!
    The back of the Serpy he found sticking to the idler pulleys which is different to your V belt OEM idler pulley stretching from the inner outwards

Thanks @MB, spot on. It took a workshop mechanic about 2 secs to identify the problem that I had been over thinking for weeks! Now I head straight down to this guy when I find a 'non amateur obvious issue', happy to hand the cash over, great expertise and knowledge, and frankly allows me to make better use of my limited time off roster as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2021), MB (15th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation @MB and @PeeBee . I got excited there for a sec.
    Will have to hunt the culprit some more then.
    But on that note, how awesome are those belts. Compared to any others ive used in the past theyre leagues ahead. Just physically holding them in your hands you can tell the difference.
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (15th May 2021), PeeBee (16th May 2021)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES the Fleet runners are the go !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12