Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting read - doesn't mince words about ZD30's

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.co...ddles-may-2016

"In most cases there isn’t an issue with this system, but there have been some spectacular failures: most notably Nissan’s horrible ZD30 three-litre diesel that will be consigned to history when the Patrol departs the scene in late 2016.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Clunk (6th September 2016), lagoonboy (15th September 2016), mudnut (6th September 2016), MudRunnerTD (6th September 2016), Plasnart (6th September 2016), the godfather (8th September 2016), Touses (7th September 2016), VK2FMIA (7th September 2016), Wizard52 (11th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting read. Cheers mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I own a stock standard td42t. I bought a catch can some years ago but it's still in the box. I have never been tempted to soup her up even though i occasionally tow a 2.5t boat. It doesnt fly. It doesnt burn rubber. It doesn't turn heads. It doesn't drone. The clutch is still good. It pulls like a teenager. It may go for as long as i live.

Probably why I'll never win the Dakar in it. Dammit!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (6th September 2016), MudRunnerTD (6th September 2016), Sir Roofy (7th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whoa! All seemed well with this article until i got to the end and my BS meter went completely off tap. What can anybody tell me about this "calibrated, pressurised spray of crushed walnut shells" so espoused? Ive never heard of it. Does Nissan offer this service?

There are approved procedures for removing this buildup, most of which use a calibrated, pressurised spray of crushed walnut shells - I kid you not - to abrade off the carbon deposits at periodic intervals.*

Because of this carbon buildup problem there are many after-market suppliers providing blank-off plates for EGR systems. It's a sufficiently sophisticated supply chain to have model-specicifc plates on offer.

Claims made for engines with blanked-off EGR valves include smoother running, improved power and reduced fuel consumption. However, our research indicates that the only measureable benefits are reduced carbon buildup in the inlet manifold and no need to clean the EGR valve periodically.*

Before you blank off your EGR or re-map its operation, bear in mind that it's illegal to do so.
    Last edited by Plasnart; 6th September 2016 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some media blasting businesses use walnut shell fragments to blast so as not to damage the base metal (usually aluminum) of the part to be cleaned/blasted. Dont know about the calibrated bit though...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AGman For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AGman View Post
    Some media blasting businesses use walnut shell fragments to blast so as not to damage the base metal (usually aluminum) of the part to be cleaned/blasted. Dont know about the calibrated bit though...
    Agree. But does anyone believe Mr Nissan outsources this procedure for interval servicing of ZD30's? C'mon they're at the limit actually changing filters.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

4wheeler (8th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Whoa! All seemed well with this article until i got to the end and my BS meter went completely off tap.

Result of a quick google, there are plenty more;
    http://walnutshellpowder.blogspot.co...gines-and.html

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I know Allan personally, and also know he doesn't write BS in his articles. He makes a living doing this and his credibility is his major asset.
    Cheers
    Macca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (7th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Result of a quick google, there are plenty more;
    http://walnutshellpowder.blogspot.co...gines-and.html

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I know Allan personally, and also know he doesn't write BS in his articles. He makes a living doing this and his credibility is his major asset.
    Happy to back away from last nights comment.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

macca (7th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Happy to back away from last nights comment.
    Cheers Plasnart

Allan had mentioned the walnuts in another article, how the boffins find this stuff works for unusual applications amazes me.

The article Cuppa linked is fairly savage on a few mods we all have done or know of someone who has, some of it a bit risky to our expensive engines / legalities / insurance.

Nissan covering an engine control sensor with oil mist has to be one of the biggest stuff ups, no wonder some keep saying clean your MAF sensor when things aren't right under the bonnet.

I'll stick with my old school 4.2 slug thankyou. hahaha
    Cheers
    Macca

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th September 2016), mudski (7th September 2016), Plasnart (7th September 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One can of worms opened....
    So air filter socks are bad, when they clog up. So is any air filter. Chips are bad, catch cans are pretty much pointless and EGR plates dont always do as we thought. Hmmm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast