Thread: Upgrading Towball Weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    Muddy Ol' mate, have a google, Eco-tourer caravan.
    Low towing profile, tare just over 1800kg, ball weight 176 kg. available in a couple of different setups.
    More for Mum, Dad travel than family.
    Expensive even for second hand but seem to hold their resale well.
    See how you go.

Edit..........Added bonus. Drawbar folds up for convenient storage, clever.
    So have you upgraded any components? The big issue is insurances and the state authorities insurance. If you have an accident and the towball weight is over the vehicle specs, then you may lose coverage.

Believe me, an insurance company tried to stooge me after I stacked a Fairmont that had extractors fitted. I Pointed out that I had notified them of the mod and they grudgingly paid up.
    Last edited by mudnut; 12th March 2020 at 02:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    HR said basically the same as above, so I'm screwed, unless I can find a van or camper that suits. I would like to learn what others tow with their Qs.
    I'm towing a 1.7t caravan, unsure of Towball weight but am not concerned.
    I understand it may not be legal but am happy to keep on towing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    So have you upgraded any components? The big issue is insurances and the state authorities insurance. If you have an accident and the towball weight is over the vehicle specs, then you may lose coverage.

Believe me, an insurance company tried to stooge me after I stacked a Fairmont that had extractors fitted. I Pointed out that I had notified them of the mod and they grudgingly paid up.
    Don't own one. Been sniffing around them for a number of years, not yet convinced I'm of the age to fully appreciate the caravaning 'experience'.
    When I do an Eco-tourer will be high on my list of preferences. Td 42 will pull one easy peasy. Keep forgetting your'e in an RB 30, weight is your problem.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find the GQTD42 is only 20-40 kg towball weight better, but towing weight is a few hundred better.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to pull it off road your choices are very limited if you want to keep the weight down. I can't thing of anything with a hard top which beats the Tvan for weight. (Ours is 1100 to 1200kg fully packed with water full - towball weight 105kg to 110kg. If outdoor cooking is acceptable they are worth a look 'cos they've been around for 20 years, so the lighter versions (Mk2 before they started loading them up with front boxes etc) can be had for affordable prices. Very little to go wrong with them. But not a caravan! They are a solid, but basic bit of gear. We have met folk who travel in them with kids, but that wouldn't be our choice.
    Saw a nice one in good nick on FB just recently for $22k

Ultimate Campers?

Vista Crossover ?

Rhinomax ?

AOR Odyssey series 2

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th March 2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12