Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel hard to start hot.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks portal pat. Is there any way that I can test if that is the problem. Even when I press the priming pump a few times it still takes a bit to start, I would have thought that this would pressure the fuel system and (help) the pump in some way if that was the same problem as yours. If that is the problem it sucks, I have a few more things to check first and hopefully I find out it is something minor.
    Last edited by Tassie4wder; 5th May 2016 at 07:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine behaves pretty much the same since I've had a brand new 12mm pump put on. Seems to start fine when cold but cranks for ages when hot or been sitting for an hour or two. Mines got a manual glow and never used it when hot or warmish with the old pump and it always started like a champ. Now it doesn't make a difference to glow it or not when warm.

Cars been back to shop a couple of times already to stuff around with the pump but probably needs to go back again. Not sure if i have i hopes in getting it to behave nice or not starting to get a bit over it to be honest. . .

Originally thought it might have been a trade off of a 12mm pump but after seeing mudskis in action his doesn't miss a beat. Haven't had many others to compare it to tho (12mm pumps). Is this likely to be an issue with pumps once you start tweaking them ?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder if using an electric lift pump would help your problem Rossco?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what my mechanic said to do. If the plunger is tight and you still give it a couple of pumps and it takes a bit to start again doesn't that mean the fuel pressure is eliminated. Maybe another option is a one way valve to be sure, cheap to buy one and then you can be positive there is no leaking back of diesel

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie4wder View Post
    Thanks portal pat. Is there any way that I can test if that is the problem. Even when I press the priming pump a few times it still takes a bit to start, I would have thought that this would pressure the fuel system and (help) the pump in some way if that was the same problem as yours. If that is the problem it sucks, I have a few more things to check first and hopefully I find out it is something minor.
    I even fitted a lift pump when I was searching for a solution, to no avail. Could only suggest you douse the IP in cold water and see if lower operating temp. then helps it pick up the fuel.Cheers.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha bugger that's kind of not what I wanted to hear. Just started the ute up from dead cold and it wanted to play up a little bit, I am going to test the glow plugs and go from there even though when the car is at operating temp the glow plugs shouldn't play a part of stating the ute, or am I wrong in saying that

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie4wder View Post
    Ha bugger that's kind of not what I wanted to hear. Just started the ute up from dead cold and it wanted to play up a little bit, I am going to test the glow plugs and go from there even though when the car is at operating temp the glow plugs shouldn't play a part of stating the ute, or am I wrong in saying that
    I would say your right in saying that. Mine has manual glow (just a button) and used to start fine without them, you would only have to use them first thing in the morning. You could even start it straight up on a hot day without using them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I wonder if using an electric lift pump would help your problem Rossco?
    Thought about that but kinda thought that it shouldn't really need it just for starting they're more for high hp where you need the extra fuel delivery. Also thought about little one way valve, however in theory both of these things would make it hard to start cold too (not having them fitted).

Having said that it is worth a try but thinking it's something in the pump.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Winnie (7th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ring Omar mate he'll KNOW or swap out that pump and start again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Ring Omar mate he'll KNOW or swap out that pump and start again
    Yeah not a bad idea. I know what he'll say, just put a big V8 petrol in, he likes his petrols. He's got a td 42 GU ute but didn't have to much good to say about it, not enough power for him!

Yeah thought about swapping pump out but it's a fair bit of money down the drain and can't quite afford it atm. Would be good to see how some other 12mm's perform, if AB and chappy gets their ones up & running be interesting. Remember talking to the guys at racebred looking at their race truck. They said it was temperamental to start but that was a highly tweaked td.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast