Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Bit of a hijack of the thread but what's your reference for the light bar being illegal ontop of the bullbar in SA and WA? ADR's are a national document and apply in every state and territory. The lights must not dazzle and must not obscure the driver's vision of the road. (Along with a bunch of other conditions)

I mean I don't like them up there either, but just for clarity it may not technically be illegal. The rod holders are though.
    I went looking for the site, can't find it but will post it up when I can. This one however is better as it directly refers to each states and their respective rules. Seems to be different info, or more comprehensive that the site I first saw. Either way there are state specific rules and no national directive as yet. Vic still has the 'interpretation of non dazzle' on the roof however, which is a bit of a gamble i reckon.
    http://thelapyear.com/2017/09/02/mak...in-each-state/

EDIT, here is the original article I drew my comments from, slightly different to the first one.
    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...led-lightbars/
    Last edited by PeeBee; 27th January 2019 at 03:52 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I went looking for the site, can't find it but will post it up when I can. This one however is better as it directly refers to each states and their respective rules. Seems to be different info, or more comprehensive that the site I first saw. Either way there are state specific rules and no national directive as yet. Vic still has the 'interpretation of non dazzle' on the roof however, which is a bit of a gamble i reckon.
    http://thelapyear.com/2017/09/02/mak...in-each-state/

EDIT, here is the original article I drew my comments from, slightly different to the first one.
    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...led-lightbars/
    Ah yep. Looks like most of the confusion comes from each state re-writing the adr's for their website. It's also hard because they're being updated quicker than people can keep up.

Did a bit of extra digging myself. ADR 13 deals with the lights specifically but ADR 42 looks like the one we're talking about...

No vehicle must be fitted with;

any object or fitting, not technically essential to such vehicle, which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person;

This part covers your fishing holders and pretty well anything you strap to your bullbar that sticks outside the barwork. So mud runner..(Darren?) was correct. On top of the bullbar is a no go aus wide due to the extra injuries they could potentially cause.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (27th January 2019), PeeBee (27th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Ah yep. Looks like most of the confusion comes from each state re-writing the adr's for their website. It's also hard because they're being updated quicker than people can keep up.

Did a bit of extra digging myself. ADR 13 deals with the lights specifically but ADR 42 looks like the one we're talking about...

No vehicle must be fitted with;

any object or fitting, not technically essential to such vehicle, which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person;

This part covers your fishing holders and pretty well anything you strap to your bullbar that sticks outside the barwork. So mud runner..(Darren?) was correct. On top of the bullbar is a no go aus wide due to the extra injuries they could potentially cause.
    Cheers mate, yes my reference was to the attachment to the bull bar above the top rail rather than the Light itself. Light placement is indeed a grey zone and im happy with my roof light. But the Police can give you some extra attention for anything bolted to a bullbar. The City Greenies want a complete ban on Bullbars.... lets face it we should count ourselves lucky we are aloud a 4wd in 2019!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (27th January 2019), PeeBee (28th January 2019), rusty_nail (28th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah sorry old mate.. Welcome!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the blokes with spotties through their roof for rabbiting? There's tons of them down here. I've had my led bar on top of my bullbar for a few years now & not had a problem.

I'm more worried about Vicroads than the coppers.

And welcome to the forum comrade.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    What about the blokes with spotties through their roof for rabbiting? There's tons of them down here. I've had my led bar on top of my bullbar for a few years now & not had a problem.

I'm more worried about Vicroads than the coppers.

And welcome to the forum comrade.
    Lights on the roof are slightly different, they are legal as long as they're to the "front" of the vehicle. Generally speaking this means forward of the B piller but there's some ambiguity to that state to state. As for cutting through the structure to mount the rabbit/hunting spotties that's a totally different argument which I don't know much about.

As for the one on your bullbar, if it protrudes from the barwork and is likely to cause harm if you poke someone with it, then it doesn't comply.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder then about the ARB Intensity light bar that is marketed for both roofrack and bullbar mounting, plus it sits forward of the bullbar and on top of the top bullbar rail - all very ambiguous I reckon. Link below.

https://www.arb.com.au/driving-light...ity-light-bar/

I would reckon they would have sought some in depth compliance details before even starting the launch of this product, so perhaps the lightbar issues are still unresolved?
    Last edited by PeeBee; 28th January 2019 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looks a lot safer than ya stock standard light bars.

At the end of the day it's the authorities you'd have to convince that it wouldn't cause extra injuries if you hit someone with it. This is the whole reason bullbars taper back at the top. Would be interesting to see if ARB would guarantee it complies with ADR 42 when mounted to thier specs.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for this sort of banter?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually they do specify it complies with s12 (field of view) of adr 42 but no mention of s11.. which is what I'm referring too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast