Thread: Gu problems

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu problems

Hey guys, so I’ve got a factory blacktop TD42T I never really drove it on the highway much so I never realised but I can barely pull 110km/h without maxing out on revs wondering if this is normal or if something’s wrong with it and if there are any ideas of what could be causing this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto? Manual? Clutch slip? TC? What do you consider "max revs"? What size tyres? What ratio diffs? What were the results of the compression test?
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewie119 View Post
    Hey guys, so I’ve got a factory blacktop TD42T I never really drove it on the highway much so I never realised but I can barely pull 110km/h without maxing out on revs wondering if this is normal or if something’s wrong with it and if there are any ideas of what could be causing this?
    As Mihit says lots of things can effect it but I’d be tyresize or diff ratios
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    Auto? Manual? Clutch slip? TC? What do you consider "max revs"? What size tyres? What ratio diffs? What were the results of the compression test?
    2001 5 sp manual 33’s as far as I know stock gearing. Haven’t had a compression test done, just looking for any ideas. Currently at about 100km/h I’m sitting at 3k revs and struggles to get to 110

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2001 5 sp manual 33’s as far as I know stock gearing. Haven’t had a compression test done, just looking for any ideas. Currently at about 100km/h I’m sitting at 3k revs and struggles to get to 110
    A lot of things could be in play here but these TD's in stock form are slugs. To put it plainly. But they do respond well to a little tickle. Better turbo, bigger intercooler and a nice new 11,or 12mm injector pump and they'll pull Jesus from his cross.
    My TD has had a good tickle, and towing my van I can overtake with ease in 5th, and on a hill, and hold it pegged at 130 if I wanted too.

But depending on how may k's your TD has done, it could just be time for new injectors maybe. Dunno.

3k rpm at 100kph is a lot. Thats way out of its rev/ power range in my opinion. With 4.11 diff ration. Mine will sit on 2450rpm at 100kph and I still think its a tad too high.

I reckon you might have 4.3 diff ratio in yours, or the tacho, or speedo is reading wrong. From memory, Early factory GU TD ran either 3.9's or 4.11's. You can test this out. Raise the back end up and count how many times the wheels turn to one turn of the diff.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

mihit (11th December 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate I’ll give it a good look

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I -assume- the GU carried forward the 4.11 ratio diffs. Unless your wagon has been converted from auto?

Since they develop max torque at just off idle (~280 torques at 2k rpms) that does seem excessive...

But since mine all have random tach/speedos that "work" intermittently... I just drive by ear and don't exceed the posted speed limit. Couldn't tell you what rev/speed.

It would seem that power is being lost, or not enough made... The suggestion of injectors is good. There's also a filter screen in the top of the Injector pump inlet, you need small sprung inside-calipers to pull the thing out. Also obviously bleed the fuel filter and injector line at the same time.

No brakes calipers sticking? Park brake? Trans and diff oils fresh and right viscosity?

33" tyres are bigger than stock (31"?) so you may want to double check your speed actual (GPS, phone app, whatever) against the indicated...
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (12th December 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mu UTE 4.2TDi does 2300rpm at 100kph with standard 265/75 tyres so either it is not factory standard or speedo is way out. At 3000rpm it would be a bit noisy.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there I have a 2004 gu and I’ve got a problem with my auto, I have heaps of power in 1st and 2nd but then loose boost and throttle response when I goes to shift into 3rd. I have replaced the original motor with and other low km zd30di have u any ideas??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brokenpatrol For This Useful Post:

MB (19th May 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenpatrol View Post
    have u any ideas??
    Ideas? Start your own thread? Rather than hijack one about TD42s...

Difficult (for me) to rule out issues, or troubleshoot, on automatics so i just blame "computers"
    You may have needed swap/reprogram "computers" when you swapped out engines. Or you have failed to connect a sensor, etc.
    Hopefully someone who can help will find your post...
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42