User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed before i I sell this piece of s*#%

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I know that Carbie's are a low pressure arrangement, I wonder if I can get hold of a pressure gauge and check fuel pressure coming through to the carb? That would at least point to a pressure problem in the fuel system prior to the carb
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you replace the points while doing that other stuff?
    A good electronic ignition setup will help a lot with economy but ofcourse it would be good to find out what's causing the bad economy in the first place.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The float level ok?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank leaking?

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any smoke and colour from the exhaust at idle, cruising or accelerating?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    Thanks mudnut, hadn't thought of the fuel pump or solenoid, the throttle response and power aren't a worry, it holds highway speed and accelerates pretty well for such a heavy vehicle. Regards the fuel pump, it's electric and in tank isn't it?

Maybe I'm tired but how would the pump slowly failing cause poor economy? Not doubting, just curious, and how would I test the pump?

I may have to find a dyno tuner in Perth that can work on Carbied motors, anyone know a good one?
    Check the float level of the carby from the slight glass while idling and revving. There is no easy way to check the float level while taking off unless
    you setup one of those el cheapo inspection camera. But I reckon idling & revving test for the float level is good enough in many cases.

I would've thought a low fuel pressure would cause lean running issue by making the float too low, and the high fuel pressure vice versa.

What you can do is to take the first spark plug out and check it for soot build up, clean it and put it back and drive for few minutes and check the
    spark plug again. If it's building up soot in no time then you know you have a carby rich running issue, which easily translates into a fuel economy issue.

Another thing you need to make sure is the auto choke. Check to see whether the auto choke open up completely after few minutes or warming up. You need to remove the air cleaner to see of course. If the choke is not opening up then the continuous rich running will mean poor fuel economy.

3km/L is pretty crappy fuel economy for sure. You have to find the culprit and fix it, 'cos it's not just about the fuel economy. It is saying there's something else is wrong with the engine for that poor economy, so it's a good idea to find out before taking off for any long treks.

Compression test also might be a good idea to find out whether the head gasket is on it's way, 'cos that can affect the fuel economy as well.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a relative noob, what difference does the float level make to running, how do I adjust it (if I need to), and what level should it be at on the glass?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    As a relative noob, what difference does the float level make to running, how do I adjust it (if I need to), and what level should it be at on the glass?
    Typically it's the half way mark as you can see from the sight glass.
    You obviously have to take off the top of the carby and take the float out & carefully bend the metal hook either direction depending on whether
    you wanna raise or lower the float. You can do that without pulling the carby out of the engine, but I prefer to have the carby on the bench 'cos it's
    lot easier and you won't lose any small bits and pieces as it can happen while working with on the engine.
    Few trials may be needed get the float level right.
    It's too easy to quickly pull the carby out in RB30 & TB42, so it's no problem.

As I understand, too low float level mean the possibility of fuel starvation on high revving or when loading, and too high float means possibility
    of running too rich & flooding.

Float level in mine's is quarter high atm 'cos mine has an issue of running too rich which I temporarily 'fixed' by lowering the float.

One of my spare carbies are beyond help by the looks of due to excessive wear.
    There is a time eventually we have to replace the throttle body due to wear.
    It's not easy to rebuild a worn throttle body 'cos the mechanical throttle shaft is bound to wear out eventually.
    They can also warp over many years, but you can machine it(or sand it on the glass sanding table) to fix that.
    Since the throttle body is not available to buy on it's own, a new carby or a good used one is the way to go.
    Used ones are a waste of money unless you get them super cheap. Couple of years ago I paid $100 for a used one.
    Waste of money with the piece of crap from the wrecker.

Ebay is selling brand new ones for around $300, so it's a waste to spend good money on used ones.

float_level.jpeg
    Last edited by dom14; 17th August 2017 at 03:06 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff! Thanks Dom! Mine's running fine so I wont touch it, but always good to know

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Interesting stuff! Thanks Dom! Mine's running fine so I wont touch it, but always good to know
    Yeah, don't touch the bastard if it's running good.
    What I would recommend you though is to spend couple of hundred bucks to get a wideband AFR gauge kit and use it to tune the carby(AFR mixture) or even cheaper get a Gunson Colortune plug(fifty bucks) and use that. Gunson & AFR gauge is the best investment so far for me, 'cos I use the Gunson to tune the bike carby as well.
    Mine's running like crap 'cos of the dual fuel challenge, so I don't have a choice but fiddling with it once every few months. I will be going EFI sometime in near future. I am not kidding myself though. EFI also comes with it's own set of challenges with dual fuel and other electrical issues. I'm only considering EFI 'cos of the 'need' to go turbo in future.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12