Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting intercooler fan

I'm wanting to fit a fan to the underside of my intercooler.

I'm pretty OK with all of it, but 1 thing I don't know about is how I can turn the fan on? I want the fan to automatically turn on when a certain temperature is reached in the engine bay. What can I use for that???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than engine bay temp, I use a little Jaycar 50C temp sensor fitted onto the intercooler itself closer to the cold side. It switches a relay earth to activate the fan.
    I have another wire in parallel to a dash switch to override it but never use it. Also use a small LED to tell me when it's working.

They're cheap as chips at Jaycar and quite reliable. I know several who use them.

Found a pic of mine..
    ...jaycar temp.jpg
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (29th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot he said X 2 ^^^^
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

jff45 (29th January 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Rather than engine bay temp, I use a little Jaycar 50C temp sensor fitted onto the intercooler itself closer to the cold side. It switches a relay earth to activate the fan.
    I have another wire in parallel to a dash switch to override it but never use it. Also use a small LED to tell me when it's working.

They're cheap as chips at Jaycar and quite reliable. I know several who use them.

Found a pic of mine..
    ...jaycar temp.jpg
    Fantabulous, thanks jff45, that is exactly what I was hoping someone would tell me, many thanks.

What fans are you fellas using?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used one of these as a Puller on my CRD I/C due to needing slim body because of clearance issues http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIGH-PERF...cAAOSwVL1WCjie
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advert says it comes with a temp control, but there's no details. You got any info on it ET??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a Davies Craig 250mm under a 450x300 core.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    The advert says it comes with a temp control, but there's no details. You got any info on it ET??
    It was on my CRD for a while but I took it off and threw it in with the vehicle when I sold it about 4 years ago.
    It shifted some serious air as I recall.

The temp control is the thermo switch in the piccy, mine didn't have that in the "deal" but I wouldn't have used it anyway as the Jaycar Thermo Switch on the I/C like jff45 piccy is the way to go, easy to change the thermo for different value as well if needs be.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has all been a great help, thanks guys.

I'm hoping once I put a fan on, it will help alot in high temperatures, well temps over 30c anyway. My old girl really dies in the heat, so I'm hoping getting some cooler air through the intercooler may help get up to the performance I get when the temps are in the high teens to low 20s.

Having said that, I've been thinking about bonnet scoops.

From what I've read, you don't seem to get much improvement with a larger bonnet scoop when you're doing highway speeds, well that's OK coz I reckon when you're up to highway speeds you're able to maintain that speed easily. I've read that you get more benefit from a larger scoop at lower speeds, such as in sand etc and also creeping through city traffic.

At lower speeds the tunneling effect of a scoop will be much less than at high speed so I'm thinking that maybe we just need to let more air in to the intercooler, I guess this is where a front mounted intercooler comes into it's own??

If I had the resources I'd make a vented bonnet scoop, this would be more open to the air and when at low speeds the fan could suck in more fresh air. It would also allow for more heat to escape possibly reducing the heat soak problems??

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

From what I've read, you don't seem to get much improvement with a larger bonnet scoop when you're doing highway speeds, well that's OK coz I reckon when you're up to highway speeds you're able to maintain that speed easily. I've read that you get more benefit from a larger scoop at lower speeds, such as in sand etc and also creeping through city traffic.

At lower speeds the tunneling effect of a scoop will be much less than at high speed so I'm thinking that maybe we just need to let more air in to the intercooler, I guess this is where a front mounted intercooler comes into it's own??
    I absolutely disagree with this.
    Larger scoop will Always be more beneficial than the little bonnet pocket that comes standard with the GUs. Especially at highway speeds.
    You get the air ram effect at higher speeds. And you can only cram so much air into the little Nissan scoop. The larger the scoop , the higher the speeds , the more air will be "scooped" in and shoved through the IC.

At lower speeds is where the fan comes in and can help a lot.

But yeah as you said front mount is the much preferred method.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (30th January 2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast