Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Landcruiser rolls off barge to Fraser

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we get thought when going for a licence test to put handbrake on and leave in gear or park when stopped but could be different where you got yours...but it's common sense to me

On the cost side, if this added an extra 5 minutes to each of their trips it would add a substantial cost of running the barge. Remember its only a30min whole trip which includes boarding, etc. around 17% if my maths is correct. Now compared to the Herald which has roughly a 3hr + trip on water and probably the same boarding I think an extra few minutes to close the door would not equate to any major cost increase.

Also there were few other major contributing factors to the Harolds sinking going by your link. Main one was the ship was not designed for this particular trip..

The Fraser barge can go across with the door open.

Anyway, all good
    Last edited by Maxhead; 4th January 2017 at 08:49 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My terrible memory recall has just kindly given me flashbacks of the few times I was fortunate enough to visit our great sand island. Dad's preferred coin was always spent with the Aussie battler ferry from Inskip to the Island coloured in rusty orange, that 1980s barge name still illudes me :-(?I do remember roughly both ramps being raised to 25% and all passengers happily walking around checking tyre pressures etc.. Once the early 1990's arrived, same ferry, a few of us Mexican deep south young blokes on 'P' plates relived these family adventures and found much stricter rules aboard. Again, I do vividly recall the deck hands harshly advising all travelers to be back in their vehicles with brake pedals on well before hitting the island.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on this barge 2 days before and 2 days after. Have used it hundreds of times as we have a place on Fraser. On the trip home we noticed they had placed a rope chain across the barge in front of the cars at either end. I didn't know at the time a car had gone off it a couple of days prior, and commented to my wife how the crew must have been a bit over all the holiday traffic as they were pretty short and sharp and asked 4 times if i had my handbrake on. Now it makes sense why.
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and re the 60m depth - i can tell you its pretty deep in that patch. Don't know if its 60m thought, i would have thought about 20 to 30m, but really strong currents there as all the water exits on low tide, so it digs a pretty deep channel. Good luck to them finding it now.
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    oh and re the 60m depth - i can tell you its pretty deep in that patch. Don't know if its 60m thought, i would have thought about 20 to 30m, but really strong currents there as all the water exits on low tide, so it digs a pretty deep channel. Good luck to them finding it now.
    Boats fish finder found it at around 8.3m
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (5th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
    They found Nemo didn't they lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Boats fish finder found it at around 8.3m
    Yes it did. There is quite a lot of water movement where it fell. Even cars that see their fate on the beach are covered by sand in a week or 2.

It does get deep in the channel and they are lucky it wasnt a little further out as it woukd have been more than 8m.

It wont be so much as finding it but recovering it will be a different story. I reckon they will leave it there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 8m certainly worth a dive to recover passports, wallets etc. dependant on tidal movement. I didn't check if the windows were up or down but I'd assume they would have been secured in the glovebox.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    At 8m certainly worth a dive to recover passports, wallets etc. dependant on tidal movement. I didn't check if the windows were up or down but I'd assume they would have been secured in the glovebox.
    The way the tide moves there i doubt any diver in their right mind would risk going down to it there. I certainly wouldn't. Really strong currents. Id reckon by now its already moved or buried a far bit.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone told me (I think a pro fisherman) that because of the volume of water going through such a narrow passage, the bottom few metres of sand is moving so fast you can't anchor a boat. It is very deep in the middle so 60m is believable and if it does drift out further than the present 8m, it is gone forever.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast