Thread: GU Transfer case

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Transfer case

Are all GU transfer cases the same from 4.2's through to the last of the 3.0's? With the same ratios & mounting patterns? What might one in good condition (low mileage or rebuilt) be worth?

I will need to decide to keep the NP205 case.or switch to a Patrol one on the OKA. Not yet sure of the pros/cons of going either way, just that both types are used.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go the Patrol one, at least you'll have a small Nissan bit of reliability in threre. . TBH wouldn't have a clue about the other one so don't take my advice . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooohhh. A GU TC with 43% Reduction gears would be the duck's nuts.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Are all GU transfer cases the same from 4.2's through to the last of the 3.0's?........
    Please don’t take this as gospel Cuppa Mate but seem to recall the exact same transfer case code throughout my entire GU Gregory’s old manual which covered 2.8/3.0/4.2/4.5/4.8 I believe but wasn’t searching properly for your answer, just possibly recall noticing a trend.
    Think it’s the GU 1998 -2014 Gregory’s manual somewhere deep in the shed sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its only the adapter housing that changes for the 2.8/3.0 gearbox and the 4.2. the ratios and tc is the same.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (26th November 2020), MB (26th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Its only the adapter housing that changes for the 2.8/3.0 gearbox and the 4.2. the ratios and tc is the same.
    Adaptor for for Allison auto to Gu Transfer case I've been told $2500!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What might one in good condition (low mileage or rebuilt) be worth?.
    Ask Nicely, Maybe a ‘Thanks’ to the Blokes every few years and there could be one or two floating around the Hills Cuppa Proud Mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th November 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adaptor for for Allison auto to Gu Transfer case I've been told $2500!
    My god, thats a bitter pill to swallow, I guess the demand is low, production run low and R&D high. I had a Mercedes Benz Galendenwagen which runs a separate transfer case connected with a drive shaft. I would not recommend this configuration to anyone. The torque reactions are different from gearbox and transfer cases, and vibration was a huge issue. Also, there was a need for a torsion arm between the two to try and even things out. was a constant PIA as the vibration could start at anytime and Mecedes Benz didn't have a fix. Best to run a connected system so the mounts take care of the accumulated reaction as a system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    My god, thats a bitter pill to swallow, I guess the demand is low, production run low and R&D high. I had a Mercedes Benz Galendenwagen which runs a separate transfer case connected with a drive shaft. I would not recommend this configuration to anyone. The torque reactions are different from gearbox and transfer cases, and vibration was a huge issue. Also, there was a need for a torsion arm between the two to try and even things out. was a constant PIA as the vibration could start at anytime and Mecedes Benz didn't have a fix. Best to run a connected system so the mounts take care of the accumulated reaction as a system.
    Interesting to read that Phil, the earlier OKA's (XT) had a mated (married) Transfer case (NP205), the later LT's had a remote (divorced) Transfer case (Rockwell) which was renowned, apart from being incredibly heavy & 'sucking a *lot* of the Perkins motor's meagre power output & running very hot ..... to create an awful lot of vibration through the chassis. The one I'm buying has the earlier NP205 TC 'divorce mounted'. A relatively common (if there is such a thing among OKAs) modification to the later LT models. I didn't detect any vibration when I drove it, but I must admit that on the basis of keeping things simple & for the reasons you describe, I am leaning toward the 'married' Patrol TC. In remote rough country the fewer external shafts spinning in seals (which always) have a potential to leak just seems like a good idea to me. And I believe the Patrol TC may possibly give a slightly lower geared drive ratio too. The NP205's are apparently worth good money & selling one may just about pay for a Patrol TC & it's expensive adaptor to fit onto the Allison.

There is an alternative to fit the NP205 direct on the back of the Allison (with another expensive adaptor) I think, so overall cost would be higher as nothing to sell to recoup cost, plus the Patrol TC has a great reputation & I've never had any concern about ours.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (27th November 2020), PeeBee (27th November 2020), Rossco (27th November 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa, its a funny thing, vehicles can have identified issues as a model, yet some specific vehicles don't present with the issue.