OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to 4WD'ing and just got me a cheap Patrol!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face New to 4WD'ing and just got me a cheap Patrol!

Hey everyone!

Just bought my first 4WD and its a 1997 GU TB45E Manual. 433k on the clock and it looks like she's been kept really well spending most of her time out on a sheep station in Shepperton.

Last Nissan I owned was a R32 Skyline. Love Nissan. Sold it to avoid getting pinched for hooning many years ago and went euro for the past 10 years. Still euro for my daily, not that I'm driving much due to covid these days.

I wanted a project to keep me from going insane at home and this is it. Surprisingly, there isn't too much wrong with this beast. Recent front smash repair by the looks of it, with a new bull bar but using pre-existing winch. After a good clean, I'm looking at a service, hooking up the winch and lights, flushing the rusty radiator (and probably heater core), sorting out the steering wheel play and checking seals for leaks.

Can't wait to get stuck into it. Looking forward to chatting and sharing with the forum - it looks like a great community.

20201024_090648[1].jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WoolyKebab For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (25th October 2020), growler2058 (20th May 2021), rusty_nail (26th October 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnet scoop on a TB45E? Probably from a 3.0 litre
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I was wondering how long it would take for someone to pick that up - bout 5 minutes haha!

Looks like whoever had it last grabbed it for the smash repair.

Your signature mentions a move from the 4500 to a 4200 - how come?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate, yeah that bonnet is a different colour so I reckon they found a red one at a wrecker for a bit of Pimp.

The 4.5 is very heavy on fuel ans underpowered for its size. John saw the light and found a TD42. You could consider an LS swap if you like petrol, they are a pretty well sorted conversion these days. Also a Turbo Barra Swap works well too.

Good luck and have fun
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate - good to know. Looks like this thing was converted to gas not long after it was bought. A mate reckons some of these engines don't tolerate gas well but if its done 433k with it, can't be too bad right?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,766 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate.

I've got the same as you. Mine has been on gas since 2011 injected system. I've owned it since 2014 and it's turned over 520,000 km. It's my daily and with these restrictions I'm still doing 400km a week, in normal life was was as high as 800 at times. I was told that they are bulletproof motors, but they're underpowered and heavy on fuel yes all true. I would love to do a LS swap, but it drives well and is reliable as it is. I had my brother in it yesterday and he was surprised how easy it kept up with the traffic leaving the traffic lights. No need to boot it to get going. Only downside I have is it doesn't like inclines , long hills on freeways and 3rd isn't enough and 2nd is to much that's in an auto. I've done some trips with the members here and have gone everywhere the diesel have gone. If your planning remote trips get a long range sub tank and plan your stops.

Remember it's a petrol engine with alot of kms, it's going to be a little tried.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate appreciate the heads up! You've got me worried on the "doesn't like inclines" bit though - is that a gearing thing or engine thing?

The more time i'm spending with this car, the more i'm realising there isn't that much for me to do on it. Maybe a universal joint which is starting to go and the cooling system is rusty as, so flush with new water pump and thermostat. Hopefully it stays the course - I'm not winning any races off the line but it has enough go to move with traffic as normal.
    97 GU TB45E Manual ST

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WoolyKebab View Post
    Your signature mentions a move from the 4500 to a 4200 - how come?
    I swapped out the 4500 engine at 136k kms because I needed something better for towing. I did the Xcede chip & extractors + big exhaust but it still wasn't enough and was just too thirsty.
    Now I have more power at the wheels than the 4.5 had at the flywheel but still have the 4.5 auto.
    Even my wife's Kia Sorento 2.2 has more power than the 4.5 had
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

WoolyKebab (25th October 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll still get done for hooning with a patrol if you're not careful
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast