Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intercooler won't fit.

Hey guys,

Trying to install a HPD intercooler onto my 3.0l 2009 GU. It has a fan mounted underneath it and as far as I can tell it's hitting part of the engine block before it gets far enough down to be bolted on? I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a couple of washers underneath the mounts to jack it up a few mm, I tried to put the mounts off the original IC underneath the new mounts but it jacked it up too high. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had the same problem before and how you got around it?

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    Hey guys,

Trying to install a HPD intercooler onto my 3.0l 2009 GU. It has a fan mounted underneath it and as far as I can tell it's hitting part of the engine block before it gets far enough down to be bolted on? I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a couple of washers underneath the mounts to jack it up a few mm, I tried to put the mounts off the original IC underneath the new mounts but it jacked it up too high. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had the same problem before and how you got around it?

Cheers.
    Michael,

The HPD for the CRD is a direct replacement for for the factory Intercooler albeit it is thicker and it has a fan under neath. The IC cannot hit the block but sits very close to the tubes going to the injectors. If anything is going to be close to the engine perse' is the fan, not the intercooler.

Putting your original intercooler mounts under the ones on the IC is going to raise the whole thing by around 10mm which is way too high. With this done you are never going to get the bonnet down and risk damage to the intercooler.

As with any engine, there will be slight tolerance differences but these are usually by mm's.

My thoughts are as follows:-

1: put the intercooler on as per the manufactures instructions and closely examine where you think it may be hitting. Use a mirror and see where it may be hitting.

2: From memory, the front end of the intercooler comes close to the injector tubes. My suggestion here is to put a few washers under the front IC mounts to slightly lift the front off the injector tubes. All you need is sufficient space to allow for any movement when the engine is moving around. The washers only need to me millimeter thickness, not centimeter.

3: If nothing seems to fit, there is a problem that should be addressed by HPD. Give them a call and ask them as to how they would fix the situation. The guys at HPD are really good and more than happy to offer advice on their products.

A 2009 is identical to a 2008 and whilst tolerances may be slightly different, the generic fit is the same.

Kindest Regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

michaelgreeny (9th March 2017), MudRunnerTD (9th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers @rainsey, was gonna send you a message but lost ya number. Yeh, that's what I figured, from what I can gather the injector lines are hitting the bottom of the fan, will put a washer or two in and see how we go.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    Cheers @rainsey, was gonna send you a message but lost ya number. Yeh, that's what I figured, from what I can gather the injector lines are hitting the bottom of the fan, will put a washer or two in and see how we go.
    Michael,

Get a couple of washers and put them under the front only inter cooler rubbers and the metal bracket that supports the Intercooler. You will probably find that there is only a pooftenth of a mm between one of the injector pipes and the plastic frame of the inter cooler fan.

Seriously, worst case, 2 washers at about 1.<something> thickness will be enough to clear the injector pipe.

When I first installed the IC I had the same problem. I used 2 washers in the front and all was fine.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Kindest Regards

Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make sure there is really enough clearance for bumps and vibration. There was someone around here last year who's under IC fan sorround put a dint in one of the tubes.
    When fitted there was just enough clearance but bumps and movement made.it hit one of the tubes a bit every time eventually dinting it.
    Those are high pressure and rupturing it you'll know about it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hodge; 10th March 2017 at 07:34 AM.
    2005 TD42TI