Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oddest sight today

I was following a maverick down a steep hill this afternoon, he was in the far right lane and I was in the middle lane. As we approached 80klm/hr I noticed his front wheels start to wobble and then they both reached what I can guess is some perfect out of balance condition and the whole front end was almost bouncing off the road. Poor guy was hanging on for dear life and this thing was wobbling and moving around about a mete. I put my hazard lights on as the traffic behind probably couldn't see what was going on. I thought the whole front end was about to fall out. Then, it simply stopped as he slowed a bit and he carried on, and when he reached 80 again it didn't happen on the flat. Any ideas? Guys looked pretty rattled, pass side wheel nuts looked fine. Tyres were some sort of no name brand, road tread, but rears were fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing happened once in my old MQ, it bounced all over the road, and all I could do is hit the brakes and pull it up as gently and straight as I could..... checked and couldn't find anything .... it never happened again in that one or any subsequent Patrols, and I have travelled all over the place ....

I had just had the front hubs worked on and pulled apart, so put it down to the fact that the knuckles weren't sitting right after coming off the hoist, but when I checked it all it was fine.

Seems to be something that happens with the exact right conditions
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    The same thing happened once in my old MQ, it bounced all over the road, and all I could do is hit the brakes and pull it up as gently and straight as I could..... checked and couldn't find anything .... it never happened again in that one or any subsequent Patrols, and I have travelled all over the place ....

I had just had the front hubs worked on and pulled apart, so put it down to the fact that the knuckles weren't sitting right after coming off the hoist, but when I checked it all it was fine.

Seems to be something that happens with the exact right conditions
    Wow Mic! My mates old MQ used to do this all the time and this is exactly how he stopped it. My MK Shorty never did it though. We never found out what it was though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... it's interesting and worrying at the same time, 'cos it's intermittent in some case as above, yet haven't been able to find the real cause of the wobble.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im thinking stuffed shocks, and just bouncing on the coils.
    Saw a bike on the freeway do it once bouncing about 150mm
    up and down @ 100kph lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

dom14 (21st December 2016), PeeBee (21st December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had it happen to me once in our Nissan Civilian bus not long after I bought it. Was crossing a causeway somewhere on the south east coast (Bermagui?) & the road surface had slight undulations which caused a bouncing situation which quickly became out of control. It was crazy, we were only doing around 40 or 50kph, & suddenly we were bouncing so much that we were being thrown off our seats & our heads hitting the roof! My main concern was keeping in a straight line to avoid ending up in the drink. Real change of undies stuff! We did another 1500kms or so, with no further occurrence, but once home I checked the shocks - which were totally cactus. Could open & close the shocks with no resistance whatsoever. I believe the combination of no damping & the frequency of the mild undulations & our speed provided the conditions needed. Faster or slower & it may not have occurred. Was definitely a case of an accident waiting to happen, & all shocks were replaced before further use
    Last edited by Cuppa; 21st December 2016 at 01:56 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dom14 (21st December 2016), PeeBee (21st December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Had it happen to me once in our Nissan Civilian bus not long after I bought it. Was crossing a causeway somewhere on the south east coast (Bermagui?) & the road surface had slight undulations which caused a bouncing situation which quickly became out of control. It was crazy, we were only doing around 40 or 50kph, & suddenly we were bouncing so much that we were being thrown off our seats & our heads hitting the roof! My main concern was keeping in a straight line to avoid ending up in the drink. Real change of undies stuff! We did another 1500kms or so, with no further occurrence, but once home I checked the shocks - which were totally cactus. Could open & close the shocks with no resistance whatsoever. I believe the combination of no damping & the frequency of the mild undulations & our speed provided the conditions needed. Faster or slower & it may not have occurred. Was definitely a case of an accident waiting to happen, & all shocks were replaced before further use
    Same thing(means "similar" in Melbourne ) happened to me but not probably as bad. Back in 2012 I was heading towards outback and somewhere between Adelaide and Coober Pedy I somewhat lost control of the vehicle when it went over(or rather under) a sudden shallow area on the seemingly flat road. It gave me a quite a fright, 'cos I was doing no less than 100km/h, and luckily for me, I had tiny 30" tyres, which would have helped a bit by keeping the centre of gravity tad lower. The vehicle swerved violently as it was about to roll over, and I pretty much had my whole life flashing in front of me for micro second. I regained control within a second, but learnt a good lesson. Being in a near fatal crash previously, I didn't wanna experience that anymore.
    It's never happened with bigger wheels, but I suspect it will in a similar conditions. After that incident, I've never expected seemingly perfect outback main roads to be anywhere near perfect.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised you havn't heard of it before, very common in GQ's

Type death wobbles gq patrol in google
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (22nd December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    I'm surprised you havn't heard of it before, very common in GQ's

Type death wobbles gq patrol in google
    Googling it, I found this video about GQ death wobbles and solutions to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BtdFmyFv9s
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (22nd December 2016)