OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Engine specific EGT & Boost (4.2 Intercooled TD)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine specific EGT & Boost (4.2 Intercooled TD)

Guys and girls
    1st up I don't know the correct code that describes my engine, 4.2litre Intercooled Turbo Diesel, 2005.

The ute came with stuff all info....

Because of that I am having trouble decifering the relavent information in regards to what my engine is doing. The threads get people posting data that is for all engines (the 3.0litres are easy to recognise) or dont list their engine at all.

I have been slowly modifying my ute with the advice sourced here, by Tony in particular and many others for which I am really gratefull.

Where I am up to is; blocked the EGR, removed the butterfly, 200:1 castrol 2T, 3" mandrel bent exhaust and fitted a SPA boost/EGT guage.

So far I havn't adjusted the fuel delivery or turbo.

Fitted the guage last night, programmed it and had a run into town today. The boost maxed out at 9.3psi and Temp was 340degC. Max speed was 90kph and we were in traffic most of the time so couldn't really hold full throttle for very long.

Was curious what others with the same engine have experienced and what I should expect to see on the guages.

If I am repeating an existing thread please mods delete this and point me in the right direction.

Looking forward to blowing away the fog of confusion

Thanks Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4.2 diesel with factory turbo and intercooler is a TD42Ti. If it is factory intercooled then it will have an electronically controlled injector pump so you wont be able to just wind up the fuel manually. TD42T non-intercooled still had the mechanical injector pump which can be adjusted.

EGT's for these older style pre common rail engines are all roughly the same, so on extended periods of full throttle the post turbo EGT's should not exceed 500-550 degrees.

9psi boost is conservative, the factory turbos can safely run at 12 to 13psi, any higher and they start to loose efficiency.

When it comes to tuning a diesel boost and EGT's are only part of the story. Basic things like valve clearences need to be correct, injector and pump condition and pump timing all play their part as well.

I've had a GU TD42T in the past, I had it set to 11psi boost and EGT's maxed out at 500 degrees. It made plenty of torque but was still a conservative tune for reliabillity.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks Tony, once again you have given me the answers. You are a handy bloke to know.

From what you have said the Torbo can be adjusted, my understanding is there is no point doing that if more fuel is not added?

So I need to sort
    Basic things like valve clearences need to be correct, injector and pump condition and pump timing all play their part as well.
    first then if the pump has electronics it can be chipped?

If so who does a good chip?

Had a steinbauer on my Lux common rail, very clever bit of gear, that system wont work on this type of injection that much I know.

Reliability is more important than performance as you had with your TD42T, dont want a problem in the middle of the CSR...

Thanks Tony and any others want to chip in with their experiences would be great to hear your stories.

Macca

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Macca, I'm happy to help people.

Wastegated turbos as fitted to TD42 Patrols can be adjusted by fitting a boost bleed valve that tricks the wastegate into allowing more boost (the wastegate valve controls boost pressure).

Increasing boost without adding more fuel will not increase power/torque but it will lower EGT's.

Diesels with electronically controlled injector pumps can be chipped to improve performance.
    Steinbauer make a number of different modules to suit different engine configurations, they should have something that suits the TD42Ti being such a commonly modified engine. I have no direct experience with diesel power up modules.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42Ti Factory Intercooled

Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    4.2 diesel with factory turbo and intercooler is a TD42Ti. If it is factory intercooled then it will have an electronically controlled injector pump so you wont be able to just wind up the fuel manually. TD42T non-intercooled still had the mechanical injector pump which can be adjusted.

EGT's for these older style pre common rail engines are all roughly the same, so on extended periods of full throttle the post turbo EGT's should not exceed 500-550 degrees.

9psi boost is conservative, the factory turbos can safely run at 12 to 13psi, any higher and they start to loose efficiency.

When it comes to tuning a diesel boost and EGT's are only part of the story. Basic things like valve clearences need to be correct, injector and pump condition and pump timing all play their part as well.

I've had a GU TD42T in the past, I had it set to 11psi boost and EGT's maxed out at 500 degrees. It made plenty of torque but was still a conservative tune for reliabillity.

Tony
    Hi Tony. I feel the need to correct you on your statement "If it is factory intercooled then it will have an electronically controlled injector pump". I have a Patrol which is factory intercooled & can assure you that the injector pump is not electronically controlled. Regards Stu

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep all td42 engines have mechanical pumps. The only difference is electronic timing on the ti pump. You can still tune then like an older td and there is no such thing as a chip for them because they are mechanical

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk