• Me + 1

2 9.52%
  • me + 2

5 23.81%
  • Me + 3

3 14.29%
  • Me + 4

0 0%
  • Much respect to Roofy but I cannot come!

7 33.33%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairwell meetup for the great man - Sir Roofy - Friday 3rd May to Monday 6th May

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    If I was to fly in would anyone have a swag they could loan me for the weekend?
    How many bottles of red are you allowed to take on the plane Tony?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (16th March 2019), rusty_nail (13th March 2019), TPC (13th March 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,986 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    How many bottles of red are you allowed to take on the plane Tony?

I was thinking I could bring a dozen red, and still have room for a toothbrush and 2 pairs of jocks.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

AB (13th March 2019), Maxhead (14th March 2019), MB (16th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was thinking I could bring a dozen red, and still have room for a toothbrush and 2 pairs of jocks.
    Jocks are cheap, buy some here.... put your toothbrush in your pocket
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (15th March 2019), MB (16th March 2019), Plasnart (15th March 2019), TPC (15th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually just put 3 pairs of jock on under your jeans mate!!. deal done
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (16th March 2019), rusty_nail (15th March 2019), TPC (15th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The young blokes have kindly started tucker preparations for the Saturday night folks.
    One of Craig’s favourites will be off soon for converting to snags, kranskys and some roasts if anyone is keen to have another camp oven cook off again?

Might need help on another poll or the like @MudRunnerTD mate for specific oven portion sizes requested if folks are keen again like the last time the great man was up here Anzac meetup.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (17th March 2019), jack (17th March 2019), mudski (29th March 2019), Rossco (17th March 2019), TPC (17th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    The young blokes have kindly started tucker preparations for the Saturday night folks.
    One of Craig’s favourites will be off soon for converting to snags, kranskys and some roasts if anyone is keen to have another camp oven cook off again?
    ....... if folks are keen again like the last time the great man was up here Anzac meetup.
    Definitely keen to judge the results Mark
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

MB (17th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way Jack mate, you’re having a go cooking this time too :-) ! Plenty of ovens around we can lend if you need mate. Really hoping @threedogs - John mate can attend too with some classic great old ovens from his top collection

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy to surrender my venison recipe for any of the gwendolyn master chefs. PM me for details.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (17th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fairwell meetup for the great man - Sir Roofy - Friday 3rd May to Monday 6th May

We already know Philstar, you were nothing short of a proud winner, Bourbon Honey Injected, was delicious
    EDIT: Maybe best folks to PM @PeeBee , forgot about the double honey dilution added to the mix

Last edited by MB; 17th March 2019 at 03:54 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (17th March 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, it wont stay secret for long anyway.

for a 2kg piece of venison, if possible a piece that is maybe 5-7 cm thick and something that can be rolled up like a sponge cake, however if a heavy single chink, just inject deeply.

1 cup of wild turkey honey - the old porcelain camp mug size
    1/2 a cup of honey, combine in a pot and heat gently to blend the honey into the bourbon - low flame or bourbon could ignite, add half a teaspoon of ground black pepper as well. Inject the brew whilst its warm, not hot or you will start cooking from the inside.
    Use a basting needle and syringe and inject the meat thoroughly. It needs to be deep injections and the flesh has to visibly plump up
    Roll the meat up if its a thin cut or simply wrap in glad wrap and let it cool for 1 hr.
    Remove from gladwrap, baste the meat in a mixture of salted butter and tarragon.
    Wrap the entire meat in 2 layers of fatty bacon rashers - get the no name long rashers with more fat that meat. You want the meat looking like a totally encased soccerball. Hold the bacon on with skewers or tooth picks.
    Return the meat to the fridge on a tray and cool for 1 hr.

remove the meat from the fridge and wrap in a double layer of coconut fronds or similar. The intent is to let the juices escape to a degree and also protect the meat from burning during the cooking process. Venison has next to no fat, so you are creating and injecting moisture into the meat. You cannot overdo it, but if you skimp it could end up dry. You might get a similar effect with baking paper, but not alfoil as it will burn the surface as the heat will conduct where it hits the meat.

For Gwendolyn Oven, 15- 18 heat beads on the base, 8-10 heat beads on the lid, fired down to white coating, then start assembly of the pot.

Half a bottle of good quality heavy bodied shiraz, something around the $40 a bottle - cheaper and you wont get a good bodied broth which you want later, add this to the pot with a tablespoon of peanut oil, swish around to mix.

Assemble the outer oven box on the coals, complete with the pizza stone inside. Place pot onto the stone, add the venison to the pot, put the smoker lid in place with a thin layer of chips, then add the top coal plate. Commence demolition of the remaining 1/2 bottle of shiraz.

Temperature should be around 150 degC for at least 1 hr, no more. Add or subtract coals if required. Check the core temp after 1 hr and it should be around the 120degC from memory and cooked but have a slight rare look about it. By this time the heat will start to drop from the coals, so a tempered finish should be fine if its under cooked - its a rare meat so expect some colour.

The meat will be springy to some degree, so remove and let it rest under a cover of alfoil for 20 minutes out of the wind, I wrapped a towel over mine to slow the heat loss.

Remove the foil and cut into chunks about 3-4cm sq. Place the chunks into a bowl and spoon the broth from the pot over the top of the chunks. Cover with foil and then serve straight away. with toothpicks so the chunks can be easily savoured.

Wish I was going to be there to see the outcome - enjoy.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (17th March 2019), jack (17th March 2019), MB (17th March 2019), MudRunnerTD (17th March 2019), mudski (29th March 2019)

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast