Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front LOKKA questions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front LOKKA questions

Looking for unbiased opinions from people who have a LOKKA fitted in the front.

I'm considering purchasing one but would like to know the facts first. It's going in the front of an RB30 turbo with over 300rwkw.

Do they work? Will it handle the power? I've got a heavy right foot, is it more likely to bust cv's? I understand that any locker will cause broken cv's when bouncing off rocks etc but looking for people's experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you want to do with the car. When in 2WD you wont know its there so f you are going fast there wont be a problem. If you want to use that power in 4WD high range on dirt roads then don't put the LOKKA in as it does affect the steering. I tends to make the car fidgety and steer from side to side. It's the only drawback that I have encountered with my LOKKA. Everything else has been good so far.

In low range if you are careful with the power it should be fine. I have had mine for 4 years without a problem but I don't have 300 rwkw in my rig. If you want to spin the tyres in 4WD then probably wont be a good option as it will always be on. With a selectable locker it will be switched off most of the time and only switched on for times you will be going slow anyway.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

RB30Turbo (18th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply Rock Trol.

I never use 4WD when doing high speeds so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll get one and give it a go I reckon. If it breaks or plays up I'll go an Eaton Harrop electric

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this mate. I had NO issues with steering. Theres some vids here driving dirt tracks and soft sand on the last few pages. BEST THING I DID TO MY OLD Q
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...=Lokka+install

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

RB30Turbo (18th January 2017), Rock Trol (18th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bloodyaussie You know what you've missed by not getting a LoKKa dunya mate?
    Last edited by growler2058; 17th January 2017 at 06:12 PM.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one in mine and although its only 118kW engine I'm yet to break it LOL.

There are things to consider though:

Cons:
    Really heavy steering once in 4WD mode,
    Extreme understeer in the soft stuff so not pleasant to steer precisely and a bit dangerous on over correcting,
    Annoying clicking on harder surfaces under full lock, you can't have auto locking hubs,
    4WD Systems company is very difficult to deal with indeed I advise you against.....(When you read about history of LOKKA and 4WD Systems you will not be pleased)
    Chinese made....

So consider other reputable company like Eaton Lockright or Spartan locker

Pros:

Cheap (not really when you see what is in the box),
    Easy to use,
    Its there all the time so no guess work as to when to engage or not.

Personally if I had my time again I'd go for proper manually selectable diff locker probably E-Locker as I'm not a fan of ARB.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by RB30Turbo View Post
    Looking for unbiased opinions from people who have a LOKKA fitted in the front.

I'm considering purchasing one but would like to know the facts first. It's going in the front of an RB30 turbo with over 300rwkw.

Do they work? Will it handle the power? I've got a heavy right foot, is it more likely to bust cv's? I understand that any locker will cause broken cv's when bouncing off rocks etc but looking for people's experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

RB30Turbo (18th January 2017), Rock Trol (18th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I've got one in mine and although its only 118kW engine I'm yet to break it LOL.

There are things to consider though:

Cons:
    Extreme understeer in the soft stuff so not pleasant to steer precisely and a bit dangerous on over correcting,

Annoying clicking on harder surfaces under full lock, you can't have auto locking hubs,
    4WD Systems company is very difficult to deal with indeed I advise you against.....(When you read about history of LOKKA and 4WD Systems you will not be pleased)
    Chinese made....

So consider other reputable company like Eaton Lockright or Spartan locker

Pros:

Cheap (not really when you see what is in the box),
    Easy to use,
    Its there all the time so no guess work as to when to engage or not.

Personally if I had my time again I'd go for proper manually selectable diff locker probably E-Locker as I'm not a fan of ARB.

Regards
    From my experience I didnt experience any of this in my GQ, hopefully its the same when i get one for the GU

This is caused by it unlocking when turning so the steering shouldnt be heavy. If under load and powering on it wont click and will stay lockedAnnoying clicking on harder surfaces under full lock, you can't have auto locking hubs,
    Last edited by growler2058; 17th January 2017 at 06:37 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    From my experience I didnt experience any of this in my GQ, hopefully its the same when i get one for the GU

This is caused by it unlocking when turning so the steering shouldnt be heavy. If under load and powering on it wont click and will stay lockedAnnoying clicking on harder surfaces under full lock, you can't have auto locking hubs,
    Well, my experience is based on sand and on dirt roads. I actually avoid going in 4WD mode on normal dirt roads as the understeer combined with tight rear LSD can make the car twitch and unstable in fast flowing corners because front end wants to plow straight and rear end wants to come out sideways, I nearly rolled the beast several times before I wised up as to what is happening. Definately have to slow down comparing to driving with open front diff.

Steering is way heavier too, and can't really relax the grip on the steering wheel once starting to turn as the tendency is to wrestle the steering wheel out of my hands back to straight ahead so it is uncontrollable to a degree (unlike with castor angle the front wheels will return to centre once starting to straighten...) So after you've been driving in the deep sand for several hours your arms can feel it....

In the deep sand taking sharper corners is a lottery and sometimes counter productive as when I need a momentum and the bloody thing understeers the only way to get it to turn in I have to back off and then....

I'm not complaining as such just telling the experience as is. The understeer behavior is well know with these indeed any front lockable diff.

Also the instructions from 4WD Systems are fraudulent and incomplete as this installation is in all seriousness not just several hours, indeed it is a massive job with so many gotchas and opportunities for the things to go wrong especially for the inexperienced. If you think you can knock it in the afternoon then you are sadly mislead.

Thoughtful preparation is required as chances are that you may as well also repack/grease front wheel bearings (requiring you to change the seals too), possibly re do the CVs etc...change/service brakes etc....

Regards

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    Well, my experience is based on sand and on dirt roads. I actually avoid going in 4WD mode on normal dirt roads as the understeer combined with tight rear LSD can make the car twitch and unstable in fast flowing corners because front end wants to plow straight and rear end wants to come out sideways, I nearly rolled the beast several times before I wised up as to what is happening. Definately have to slow down comparing to driving with open front diff.

Steering is way heavier too, and can't really relax the grip on the steering wheel once starting to turn as the tendency is to wrestle the steering wheel out of my hands back to straight ahead so it is uncontrollable to a degree (unlike with castor angle the front wheels will return to centre once starting to straighten...) So after you've been driving in the deep sand for several hours your arms can feel it....

In the deep sand taking sharper corners is a lottery and sometimes counter productive as when I need a momentum and the bloody thing understeers the only way to get it to turn in I have to back off and then....

I'm not complaining as such just telling the experience as is. The understeer behavior is well know with these indeed any front lockable diff.

Also the instructions from 4WD Systems are fraudulent and incomplete as this installation is in all seriousness not just several hours, indeed it is a massive job with so many gotchas and opportunities for the things to go wrong especially for the inexperienced. If you think you can knock it in the afternoon then you are sadly mislead.

Thoughtful preparation is required as chances are that you may as well also repack/grease front wheel bearings (requiring you to change the seals too), possibly re do the CVs etc...change/service brakes etc....

Regards
    Yeah same just my experiences over the 5 years i had the ol Q, but were 100% different than what you describe. Must be the size of car that makes such a difference ay

17. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah theres a bit to pull apart but I found the actual install a piece of piss. I wouldnt say the instructions were fraudulent by a long shot. They weren't clear (pics), but not fraudulent

19. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast