Thread: Redarc gauge issue

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redarc gauge issue

One of my redarc gauges has developed a problem. It's the one for oil pressure & coolant temperature. Problem is that the coolant temperature has stopped reading above 72 degrees, below that it behaves normally. The oil pressure still reads normally too. Doesn't matter how hard I work the car up hills, the gauge no longer goes above 72. I have bought & fitted a new sensor thinking it might be either the connection or the sensor itself at fault, but this has made no difference. I also took the car to a radiator joint to check it out. The thermostat & cooling system are working just fine. This only leaves the gauge itself to be at fault as far as I (& the radiator bloke) can determine.

Has anyone else had any similar fault to this with one of these digital gauges. It's hard to see how a digital needle could read incorrectly but I suppose anything is possible with electronics? I've written to Redarc today, but not sure when I might hear back, especially as we are likely to be out of range for the next few days, in Tassie's Tarkine region.

Not happy.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been using temperature controllers with thermistor type sensor(instead of thermocouple), and the cheap sensors have been dying too quickly. I am switching to thermocouple ones(basically the same price range as thermistor ones), and I am hoping that should fix the problem 'cos the thermocouple ones are more accurate or rather more rugged. All sensors eventually fail.
    If yours is out of warranty, then I would suggest go for a one that you can replace quickly and probably cheaply.
    I simply carry a spare sensor and a controller in case the good going one goes kaput anytime.

Yeah, and it can be bit more fiddly to use temperature controllers with temperature sensors, 'cos they are not purpose built for
    automotive applications, but it is essentially the same thing. The brandname automotive ones basically come ready to be installed and used straightaway without needing much mods.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dom,
    It's not the sensor at fault, a brand new one has not fixed the problem. All a bit odd I reckon.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hi Dom,
    It's not the sensor at fault, a brand new one has not fixed the problem. All a bit odd I reckon.
    The sensors are very reliable and especially given what you've done to date it will almost definitely be the analog to digital converter cct in the gauge mate.

Sensor issues will usually mean either a off scale or ambient temp reading depending... partial operation is usually the gauge smarts going tits up.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 9th December 2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (9th December 2017), dom14 (10th December 2017), threedogs (16th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dom,
    Hmmm... then it has to be the controller I would imagine.
    If you contact Redarc, I reckon they should send you a replacement, 'cos it is not good for controller unit to fail like that. And if they refuse to replace it, then I guess you probably wanna go for a different brand.

BTW, ET was right above. Good thermocouple sensors do last for ages.
    And yes, a partial operation indicates the controller circuit issue rather than a sensor issue.

Overall, it is disappointing to see your Redarc controller failing 'cos they are brand name ones.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Redarc on Friday PM, they contacted promptly me by email & phone yesterday (Monday).

Two possibilities - either the plug which goes into the rear of the gauge has developed a high resistance - could be as simple as the plug having come a bit loose OR the gauge has crapped out as ET suggested.

They emailed me a chart showing what resistance readings I should get across the pins of the gauge plug at different temperatures so I can check it.

Have decided that pulling out the gauge from the pillar pod is not really something I want to do (seeings we still have the factory gauge) whilst at the mercy of Tassie's changeable weather conditions, so may wait until we get home in March.

Good to find that Redarc are still responsive to their customers.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dom14 (12th December 2017), mudnut (12th December 2017), the evil twin (12th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Redarc on Friday PM, they contacted promptly me by email & phone yesterday (Monday).

Two possibilities - either the plug which goes into the rear of the gauge has developed a high resistance - could be as simple as the plug having come a bit loose OR the gauge has crapped out as ET suggested.

They emailed me a chart showing what resistance readings I should get across the pins of the gauge plug at different temperatures so I can check it.

Have decided that pulling out the gauge from the pillar pod is not really something I want to do (seeings we still have the factory gauge) whilst at the mercy of Tassie's changeable weather conditions, so may wait until we get home in March.

Good to find that Redarc are still responsive to their customers.
    Are they going to replace it, if the controller unit's faulty?
    You are travelling in Tassie for that many months? That's pretty cool.
    I can only envy ya.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Are they going to replace it, if the controller unit's faulty?
    You are travelling in Tassie for that many months? That's pretty cool.
    I can only envy ya.
    Mate, we envied other full time travellers for years - it's what kept us on track to being able to finally do it ourselves. Loving Tassie so far & we still havent got out of the NW corner. Even got to lock the hubs & use low ratios a couple of days ago driving into the old mining settlement of Balfour.

Redarc warranty is two years, but they gave the impression that they would be a bit flexible with that.

As it is I'm increasingly thinking a loose connection on the rear of the gauge is most likely. Driving south down through the Tarkine on gravel road saw the temperature reading jumping up & down when the road got bumpy. We have a house sit to do for a few days over new year so I may take the opportunity then to take the pillar pod off & have a look if I can get the car under shelter. Just not keen on doing so when out on the road as the weather here is so changeable. 4 seasons in 1 afternoon!
    Last edited by Cuppa; 16th December 2017 at 03:49 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dom14 (17th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I assume the sender matched the gauge ?
    possibly a wiring loose somewhere as well?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, we envied other full time travellers for years - it's what kept us on track to being able to finally do it ourselves. Loving Tassie so far & we still havent got out of the NW corner. Even got to lock the hubs & use low ratios a couple of days ago driving into the old mining settlement of Balfour.

Redarc warranty is two years, but they gave the impression that they would be a bit flexible with that.

As it is I'm increasingly thinking a loose connection on the rear of the gauge is most likely. Driving south down through the Tarkine on gravel road saw the temperature reading jumping up & down when the road got bumpy. We have a house sit to do for a few days over new year so I may take the opportunity then to take the pillar pod off & have a look if I can get the car under shelter. Just not keen on doing so when out on the road as the weather here is so changeable. 4 seasons in 1 afternoon!
    Melbourne isn't the only spot with that reputation then!

I think it is a loose connection, otherwise these gauges would gather bad reputation in no time.
    If the gauge has gone partially kaput they should replace it at no charge to you, otherwise it is a bad brand, which I don't think it is.

I enjoy visiting these old mining towns. Quite nostalgic to see some of the colonial time relics in great condition or even as relics.
    It would've been widow makers back in it's days for the miners with the toxic conditions they had to endure, but enjoyable for us moderners.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach