Thread: New Exhaust or bullbar GQ TD42 na

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Exhaust or bullbar GQ TD42 na

G'day guys,

In a bit of a dilemma, my current GQ TD42 N/A needs a new exhaust, but I also have the stock alloy bulbar on my car.

For the exhaust I could go the King brown 2.5" full system w/ extractors, or the Beaudesert 2.75" system about a $200 price difference.
    I have searched high a low and I understand that a new exhaust may/maynot make too much of a big difference to a stock td42.
    I don't want to turbo either, so not saving for that :P

Or a ARB commercial bullbar, the deal at my local place has buy an arb bullbar and get a pair of $600 spotties too.
    So that caught my eye.

Am I better off keeping the bullbar and going an exhaust system? or leave my 30 y/o exhaust to rust a bit more and get a bullbar for wank factor? haha

Apologies for the stupid question, roast me if you must!

TIA
    '89 Mav td42 ~ Zoot Zoot mobil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have or want a winch ? the alloy bullbar might not be compatible with a winch , the arb one would be . you might be able to pick up a secondhand set of extractors and exhaust system from some one upgrading to a turbo system , you could probably expect better fuel ecconemy . some people put the 3 litre gu airbox in with a snorkel which would help as it flows more air ( but not enough if you do intend to turbo ).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    do you have or want a winch ? the alloy bullbar might not be compatible with a winch , the arb one would be . you might be able to pick up a secondhand set of extractors and exhaust system from some one upgrading to a turbo system , you could probably expect better fuel ecconemy . some people put the 3 litre gu airbox in with a snorkel which would help as it flows more air ( but not enough if you do intend to turbo ).
    Sorry for my late reply mate, I do want a winch in a couple months time before a 3 week family trip up north. I currently have a 4" stainless snorkel leading to a custom airbox, so airflow is not a problem.
    I haven't seen many exhausts up for sale, and GQ bullbars are a rarity in SA.

I think its a matter of mixed reviews whether an exhaust upgrade does anything to a NA TD42, although Dad's GQ NA with extractors and 3" exhaust pulls much harder than mine.

Im only considering the bulbar because the special on this month is that you get ARB bushranger spotties for free with any bulbar!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would not buy a GQ ARB Commercial Bar mate. Buy the deluxe bar instead. Much nicer ARB bar and the commercial bar has a HUGE nose and terrible approach angle as a consequence. It is specifically made to fit a big highmount winch but any lowmount will fit a deluxe and a high mount can be made to fit. Dont buy the Commercial bar.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Sofes (7th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would not buy a GQ ARB Commercial Bar mate. Buy the deluxe bar instead. Much nicer ARB bar and the commercial bar has a HUGE nose and terrible approach angle as a consequence. It is specifically made to fit a big highmount winch but any lowmount will fit a deluxe and a high mount can be made to fit. Dont buy the Commercial bar.
    Really? I did not know that! is there much difference in design of commercial and deluxe?
    Thanks for the advice!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
    Really? I did not know that! is there much difference in design of commercial and deluxe?
    Thanks for the advice!!
    Yeah big difference. The Commercial bar is hideous
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Sofes (7th March 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the fact that your dads gq pulls harder than yours is is an indication of how worth while the extracters and exhaust would be , more power when you need it , better fuel economy when you dont and none of the hasseles and expense of a turbo .
    depending on the family trip situation , eg; if you are travelling as just one vehicle and into difficult terrain the bar and winch might be more important .
    as for spotties i personally dont run them as i have found them to be the subject of more problems than benifits , and i feel it is better to keep good air flow coming thru the radiator.
    one thing that is important is that your standard lights do work well , if they are dull and yellowing this has more to do with the wiring and connections and replacing the lights wiring harness ( i believe you can get wiring kits ) will get them back to normal and sometimes even slightly better as the standard harness wires are minimumally speced .
    hope this helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

Sofes (9th March 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New bar with winch would be my choice. A new pipe aint going to pull you out of trouble, if you every get to that point, will it...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Sofes (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    the fact that your dads gq pulls harder than yours is is an indication of how worth while the extracters and exhaust would be , more power when you need it , better fuel economy when you dont and none of the hasseles and expense of a turbo .
    depending on the family trip situation , eg; if you are travelling as just one vehicle and into difficult terrain the bar and winch might be more important .
    as for spotties i personally dont run them as i have found them to be the subject of more problems than benifits , and i feel it is better to keep good air flow coming thru the radiator.
    one thing that is important is that your standard lights do work well , if they are dull and yellowing this has more to do with the wiring and connections and replacing the lights wiring harness ( i believe you can get wiring kits ) will get them back to normal and sometimes even slightly better as the standard harness wires are minimumally speced .
    hope this helps.
    I guess you're right about that!
    We're planning a trip with both cars mid year, and not doing too much rough stuff that I'm aware of!
    I was planning on putting the spotties on top of the bulbar, I know this is illegal, but I heard that if you get a mechanic/engineer to 'install' them - then if there is an accident, the liability falls on them.
    My standard lights are pretty good, was thinking of getting the STEDI lights to replace my current ones.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    New bar with winch would be my choice. A new pipe aint going to pull you out of trouble, if you every get to that point, will it...
    That makes a lot of sense, I haven't thought of it like that! Was more thinking that wank factor sound Thanks mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast