Thread: Suicide hose & catch can

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my catch can in place for about 12 months, it works very well, I reckon I would catch about 50-100ml of oil every 5000kms.

I've done a shifty and cut the hose that leads back to the turbo, blanked it at the turbo and the other end just feeds out to the atmosphere. The catch can is still in place & catching as much oil as it always did. I no longer get oil mist into the intercooler and there is no sign of oil at all out of the atmosphere end of that catch can hose. I've also removed the rubber ring around the catch can lid so it doesn't seal 100% just in case pressure needs to be let out, even though those Provent CCs are meant to have a pressure relief valve in the lid.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa
    How did you go with yours ? Fitted yet ?

Mines been in for about 4-5 weeks now and it's caught nothing.
    Opening the lid gives off a definite oil smell and it is misty / oily a tiny bit inside .. but no liquification or drops in the deposit tube.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    @Cuppa
    How did you go with yours ? Fitted yet ?

Mines been in for about 4-5 weeks now and it's caught nothing.
    Opening the lid gives off a definite oil smell and it is misty / oily a tiny bit inside .. but no liquification or drops in the deposit tube.
    PM sent Hodge

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Catch cans and why they're a good idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-B4VRxAtbw

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234