Thread: Speaker faulty in GUIV

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speaker faulty in GUIV

I have a weird fault in my radio wiring (I guess). On a hot day everything works OK, but on cold mornings only the front left (passenger side) speaker works. In the summer by the end of the day they are all working. I have a fairly good knowledge of electrics but this one has me stumped. I have changed the head but still have the same issue. This means that I have either three speakers with the same problem, left front and both rear, or there is a fault in the harness or plug(s). Behind the radio there are two Nissan plugs, one set of speakers on each, so it would seem strange if the fault was there. Anyway I have plugged them in and out numerous time changing heads and attempting to isolate the fault, so it is unlikely that the fault is still the same. Does anyone know if there is another plug/socket or wire harness join behind the dash that might be faulty or loose? BTW, when the fault occurs, the speakers just fade out or in over half a second or so. There is no crackle or intermittent failure. As the day warms up, sometimes the rear and RH front just fade up to normal volume and tend to stay there for the rest of the day. Next morning I will be back to one speaker only. I'm at my wits end and no I'm not making this up. Help! @the evil twin @Yendor
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    I have a weird fault in my radio wiring (I guess). On a hot day everything works OK, but on cold mornings only the front left (passenger side) speaker works. In the summer by the end of the day they are all working. I have a fairly good knowledge of electrics but this one has me stumped. I have changed the head but still have the same issue. This means that I have either three speakers with the same problem, left front and both rear, or there is a fault in the harness or plug(s). Behind the radio there are two Nissan plugs, one set of speakers on each, so it would seem strange if the fault was there. Anyway I have plugged them in and out numerous time changing heads and attempting to isolate the fault, so it is unlikely that the fault is still the same. Does anyone know if there is another plug/socket or wire harness join behind the dash that might be faulty or loose? BTW, when the fault occurs, the speakers just fade out or in over half a second or so. There is no crackle or intermittent failure. As the day warms up, sometimes the rear and RH front just fade up to normal volume and tend to stay there for the rest of the day. Next morning I will be back to one speaker only. I'm at my wits end and no I'm not making this up. Help! @the evil twin @Yendor
    Mine were more or less doing the same thing. Working one day & not the next, started with the front left, then the two rear went. Checked connections at speaker end with another speaker & had sound, so had to be faulty speakers. Not surprised after seeing the amount of dust inside the door panels, probably jamming the magnet in the speaker IMO.

Ended up replacing all 4 & problem solved.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (25th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    snip... I have changed the head but still have the same issue. @the evil twin @Yendor
    Jeez man... changing the head seems a bit of a drastic option, I would have at least disco'd the battery for 20 minutes first

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I agree with VK, as weird as it sounds it could well be multiple speakers.
    I would beg or borrow another speaker (almost any will do) and pop the trim off the offending doors and try jumping another speaker and seeing if it works
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Jeez man... changing the head seems a bit of a drastic option, I would have at least disco'd the battery for 20 minutes first

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I agree with VK, as weird as it sounds it could well be multiple speakers.
    I would beg or borrow another speaker (almost any will do) and pop the trim off the offending doors and try jumping another speaker and seeing if it works
    All good and I’ve already disconnected, switched on and off again and all that stuff. Best result worked fora day then SOSO. Will probably go the new speakers all round option. Thanks E.T. and V K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 out of four speakers in my guiv were cooked when i bought it, they could sometimes work and others not at all. i just replaced them all and now no more problems!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (26th November 2017)