Thread: Boost Guidance Needed GU CRD- Progressing thru NADS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    It's a fine balance act that's for sure.
    Try closing needle a little. It'll increase the curzing boost a bi t but also make it a bit perkier down low.
    However have a look over the vacume system. Make sure all the hoses are in good order. When working with big boost you want full vacume to play with..
    Vac/Boost plumbing all good.
    Remapped ECU and set Dawes max boost 21psi.
    Went for a run up the mnts (400ks rnd trip), consisting steep/winding solid hauls (some climbs 3rd and 4th gear holding max boost 21psi), hwy cruising and low range stuff.

EGTs before remap were reasonable good with NADS but have noticed further improvement (especially at higher load conditions hauling). Say now 550 down from 580degC (hauling).

No boost spikes or limp what so ever. Good run.
    Now have needle in cab and adjust on the fly.

Start of trip, felt it was a bit laggy hauling, started to close needle and really felt when the turbo kicked in and boost came into play. Found the needle positioned at 1.2 turns off seat (solid hauling) but opened up to 1.5 – 2 turns on hwy to get the cruise boost down to 15/16psi.

Fuel usage (veh camped up 3.2 tonne) 13.8 lt/100kms, was 14.5lt/100kms prior to remap (similar drive).

Boost runs at 21 psi most of the time, when ever above 2200rpm (same with any loads above slight), does drop right away when load removed.

Is this due remap profile or typical behaviour?

Plenty of pwr so maybe drop max boost 19-20psi? (thinking of turbo life and possibly reduce cruise boost)

Low down torque between 1600/1800-2000 rpm seems to have reduced and the 3” Xpipe is not as throaty low down or under high load as it was prior to remap. Wondering why.
    Can low down torque be improved? (notice it off road)
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Vac/Boost plumbing all good.
    Remapped ECU and set Dawes max boost 21psi.
    Went for a run up the mnts (400ks rnd trip), consisting steep/winding solid hauls (some climbs 3rd and 4th gear holding max boost 21psi), hwy cruising and low range stuff.

EGTs before remap were reasonable good with NADS but have noticed further improvement (especially at higher load conditions hauling). Say now 550 down from 580degC (hauling).

No boost spikes or limp what so ever. Good run.
    Now have needle in cab and adjust on the fly.

Start of trip, felt it was a bit laggy hauling, started to close needle and really felt when the turbo kicked in and boost came into play. Found the needle positioned at 1.2 turns off seat (solid hauling) but opened up to 1.5 – 2 turns on hwy to get the cruise boost down to 15/16psi.

Fuel usage (veh camped up 3.2 tonne) 13.8 lt/100kms, was 14.5lt/100kms prior to remap (similar drive).

Boost runs at 21 psi most of the time, when ever above 2200rpm (same with any loads above slight), does drop right away when load removed.

Is this due remap profile or typical behaviour?

Plenty of pwr so maybe drop max boost 19-20psi? (thinking of turbo life and possibly reduce cruise boost)

Low down torque between 1600/1800-2000 rpm seems to have reduced and the 3” Xpipe is not as throaty low down or under high load as it was prior to remap. Wondering why.
    Can low down torque be improved? (notice it off road)
    First up is it crd or Di??
    Yes it's typical of remap, and more boost.
    Don't drop the boost or your AFR's (air fuel ratio) will be out and rich, which will decrease power and increase EGT's.
    Yes low torque can be improved but it has to be done with remap.
    More fuel down low will make turbo spool quicker and more power..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First up is it crd or Di??
    Yes it's typical of remap, and more boost.
    Don't drop the boost or your AFR's (air fuel ratio) will be out and rich, which will decrease power and increase EGT's.
    Yes low torque can be improved but it has to be done with remap.
    More fuel down low will make turbo spool quicker and more power..
    Mine 2008 CRD.

ECU remap EGTs (degC) cruise @ 100ks 280-375, lazily poking around below 300s, med load 400-450, High loads 500, ringing it 580(yet to see higher with remap).

So turbo life will be OK running mostly 21psi.
    ECPT recommends for remap -MaxB 20-22psi for AFR 22:1. Harley(ecpt) sent me a message and will speak Monday.
    Last edited by Bidja; 4th November 2017 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Mine 2008 CRD.

ECU remap EGTs (degC) cruise @ 100ks 280-375, lazily poking around below 300s, med load 400-450, High loads 500, ringing it 580(yet to see higher with remap).

So turbo life will be OK running mostly 21psi.
    ECPT recommends for remap -MaxB 20-22psi for AFR 22:1. Harley(ecpt) sent me a message and will speak Monday.
    Yea Harley knows his stuff. I'd nearly make the trip across to see him with mine.
    So being crd mate we don't need spool control..
    So what I'll be doing once remapped is running a open / close solenode on the needle valve.
    So when the valve is closed you get max boost and max spool rate.
    Then when cursing you can flick a switch and open the valve so needle valve comes into affect. That way you can open the valve more to reduce the cursing boost but still get full power at a flick of the switch..

But those egts sound great atm..

As for turbo life....
    Look it's a blind stab. Some last forever at those specs and higher. Some spin the shafts out due to shaft speed.
    They are a small turbo.... and 22psi is it's limits.
    They'll go higher but there is only so much air you can push threw a straw..

Have a chat to Harley though about the low torque.
    He'll sort it.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bidja (4th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shantillylais View Post
    that's a nice offer thank you mudski but yes I have one. I am also making enquiries about a intercooler upgrade even tho' there doesn't seem to be any leaks at this point.
    if it looks at all a little bit oily [intercooler] its leaking they all do just check Hodges thread.
    Being a 3ltr a big IC is just a waste of money to me money which could be spent elsewhere
    maybe towards a front locker
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like to say G'day threedogs.

Yeh, read some good info posted by yourself, relevant in my adventures re: full NADS install (CRD), fitted an ADRAD import tig welded I/C. Now on remap journey. Thanks mate. Bidja was my best mate (kelpie with me 11 yrs), had to say goodbye short while back, have three others (kelpies) to help out. Saw yours, provide great suport and company. All the best.

Forum provides a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bidja; 6th November 2017 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yea Harley knows his stuff. I'd nearly make the trip across to see him with mine.
    So being crd mate we don't need spool control..
    So what I'll be doing once remapped is running a open / close solenode on the needle valve.
    So when the valve is closed you get max boost and max spool rate.
    Then when cursing you can flick a switch and open the valve so needle valve comes into affect. That way you can open the valve more to reduce the cursing boost but still get full power at a flick of the switch..

But those egts sound great atm..

As for turbo life....
    Look it's a blind stab. Some last forever at those specs and higher. Some spin the shafts out due to shaft speed.
    They are a small turbo.... and 22psi is it's limits.
    They'll go higher but there is only so much air you can push threw a straw..

Have a chat to Harley though about the low torque.
    He'll sort it.
    Yeh, will chat to Harley, probably go catch up at Tuggerah (4.5 hrs) for me. Like to play some more and understand control / performance with my hand first.

Very interested in getting info on solenoid type /part # etc. Guess fit between needle and resonator air box. Have read a bit on the forum of solenoid use.
    We spoke previously on acheiving max spool rate (and to set dawes/max boost), have run with needle closed and opened slightly prior to remap with great results.

Happy with EGTs.
    Last edited by Bidja; 4th November 2017 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    with your drop pipe or Cat buy a high flow, I havent read your complete thread so dont know what you have.
    Get it ceramic coated I highly recommend it over wrapping it it will keep un wanted heat out of the cabin,wont cost an arm or a leg but once done forgotten an keeps heat where it should be in the pipe, have a quick read up on thermal dynamics, sound difficult but simple in application.
    I run a turbo beanie for the same reason with good results
    Last edited by threedogs; 4th November 2017 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    with your drop pipe or Cat buy a high flow, I havent read your complete thread so dont know what you have.
    Get it ceranic coated I highly recommend it over wrapping it it will keep un wanted heat out of the cabin,wont cost an arm or a leg but once done forgotten an keeps heat where it should be in the pipe, have a quick read up on thermal dynamics, sound difficult but simple in application.
    I run a turbo beanie for the same reason with good results
    08 CRD NADS install - Dawes/needle valve, 3" Berkley SS high flow exhaust (turbo back), EGR solid plate (fitted at exhaust manifold), ProVent 200 CC, VDO gauge: EGT Pryo (dump pipe), Boost (mech), Oil Press (elec). TIG welded new ADRAD I/C. ECU remap.

Will have a read up on the pipe over wrapping (is this dump pipe?) and turbo beanie.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also if its an auto run it in normal not overdrive it will get the gas out faster

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast