OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can i put front twin piston calipers from 92 efi into my 91 carby.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i put front twin piston calipers from 92 efi into my 91 carby.

hi all.
    so ive had a arshole of a day ringing wreckers around toowoomba, trying every brake shop and parts store even called TJM but still no luck.

i went to install the pads that i saw a lip had worn on the top of the pad, i investigated a little more and realized i was missing one clip. basically my problem is on the single piston caliper theirs a thin spring steel clip the helps push down the pads on the rotor, its called a pad retainer. apparently you can't get them aftermarket, you can't get them singley from the wreckers you have to buy the whole caliper toowoomba wants 110 from off a vehicle, and minden wreckers want 85. i just bloody rebuilt these calipers i will lituarly be buying a $90 piece of tin and the caliper will sit on my parts shelf until i get rid of the gq witch isn't going to be any time soon.

Nissan wont do a single one either, they offer a shim kit which...... HANG ON ARE YOU READY is.......$200 yesss $200........omfg.....
    patrol apart have the same kit for $170 im like seriously its f*****g a little clip i only need one..... arrrrrrrr lol.....

then i gets a thinking i have a efi 92 gq rusted to the shit house up the back. And im sure as anything when i bought it off the bloke who is a family friend he said he just did the brakes. it hasn't been mobile sense i bought it from him and he didn't get to drive it much either, ill be pulling the Tyre off tomorrow to check it out.
    Hypothetically say the rotors and pads are new, id check the caliper and slides over if they havent been done do a seal kit on them, there anywhere between $25 - $50 per side. i was hoping i can just swap rotors of hub and looking at pics the calipers bolt up the same. Plz correct me if im wrong in going down this road, i just simply cant justify spending $170 + postage on 8 tiny bits of metal.
    I can however justify spending $100 on rebuild kits for the twin calipers as from what i understand it will only improve my braking and as i tow a 3.5 tonne plant tailor and also a old heavy horse float with the missus 17hh mammoth of a horse in it. I also later on have plans to drop a 351 in so ill need decent brakes then lol, I would absolutely lovey any and all advice i can get im pretty much self taught with about 6mths tafe prac in small motors and i do try my best to work things out on my own and look at internet and manuals and all that fun stuff but im getting a bit over it. its taking longer than it should because of stupid bloody things like the pad retainer, the pads sometimes come with the anti noise plate that comes in the shim kit is there a set of pads that include the pad retainer???? just want the cheapest easiest solution so we can go and then i can sort things out when we get home.

I have spent way to much these last couple of months nilly $3000 in just parts mostly japan or genuine and i did all the labour myself (wheel bearings front and rear, pan hard and radius bushes, new radiator core (38mm redback), water pump thermostat top and bottom hoses, i put a in hose water temp sensor in,new alternator rebuilt power steering pump then the steering box got jellious and started leaking to theirs another $150, a couple workshop consumables dex3, coolant, grease, degreaser, carby cleaner, i still haven't gotten all the cabin items i wanted there on the back burner and the cousins are just going to have to settle for a jar of sand and a rock as a Souvenir hahah.
    To top my last few months off i got layed off in April due to not enough work, last month my now wife and i got married, and our trip/honeymoon with 6 or 7 other 4x4s of family and friends has been planed sense before this time last yea.
    another words im scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping to find just one more green back really cant afford anymore parts and dont want to use credit card i payed it off for the trip Justin case we do a clutch or gearbox, but yea theirs not really any more to replace under body or under hood its only done around 400,000 head was replaced only months before i bought it and the 4.2 bottom ends are tuff as nails.

if anyone has info about doing the conversion or what my best approach to this is please let me know.
    and is any one has one of the front brake caliper pad retainers laying around the could send me i will be in your debit, if you were in front of me i would bloody get on me knees and kiss ya feet ay honestly. its done my head in on little piece of metal stopping me for putting my when on and goin for a cruise witch i did have planed for the weekend look like i get to brush up on my soldiering skills instead.
    thanks in advance and sorry if ive chatted your ears off wow feels good to let it out though. cheerers boy and girls

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is one of the little barsteds causing so much trouble
    20180601_232234.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ill look in my spares mate. I have gone to a GU front end so they are no use to me.

Id be going the twin pots in a heart beat mate!! Get a refund on the new pad, just say they didnt fit! (True story if you fit the twins )

@Winnie has done the coversion. I think its a straight bolt up.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes your twin piston calipers are a direct bolt on upgrade.
    I'll have a look through my spares too mate cos I kept the old calipers so may have those clips. I'd be doing the upgrade if I were you though mate, the difference is insane!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudrunnerTD and winnie, however i slept on it and woke up this morning and ordered the rebuild kits for the twins. got talking to the bloke at auto barn and he raised a good point i didn't think off do i need to change the master cylinder because of different pressures. ill be checking the numbers on them when i head up the back to pull everything off, if i have to guess i would say im gonna have to. i hope like all hell its in good nic lol.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any good groups you can recommend on joining would be awesome too, im green as on here still dont know me way around. Im like a blind man in a round room who has been told to find the corner of the room. hahah

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No you do not have the change the master cylinder.
    As for groups, you've already joined the best one here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (2nd June 2018), MudRunnerTD (2nd June 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh sweet as thats a huge relief and and yea this is a awesome forum but i was looking around on here before and came across groups i just asumed that you join groups on here like i said i havent go a clue what im doing, this is the first forum site ive so alot to take in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah don't worry about groups on the forum here, they have no purpose and get no input at all.
    All the info is here on the main forum and accessible to all.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is papatalk your mobile app winnie to get on here instead of a computer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast