OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Registered my converted GU wrong and mod plate isn't required?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered my converted GU wrong and mod plate isn't required?

Hey guys, I'm based in QLD
    Recently had a conversion done at a workshop and I've gotten a factory turbo black top td42 with an aftermarket turbo setup & custom front mount inter cooler setup. ~
    I went and registered it with the roadworthy I had sent to me and i've just realized now it's been registered and insured as a 3L.
    I just want to confirm that I don't need a mod plate? It's a 2001 GU ZD30 that it went into.
    Will I just need to go into the DOT and get it changed? I'm pretty sure the insurance is just based off my rego which pulls up a 3L as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would simply contact your motor registration division, no names given and ask the question - i mean they are the authority?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Jdugg27 (10th November 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I would simply contact your motor registration division, no names given and ask the question - i mean they are the authority?
    Yep will try get through again tomorrow just been struggling to have enough time

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From QLD Transport..

Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of vehicle may be fitted without specific approval or the fitment of a modification plate. For such conversions, all components, including suspension and brakes, must be identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with the optional engine. No modification plate is required to be fitted.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Ve...#replaceengine

This is where you can get trapped, as the conversion still needs to meet ADRs and Australian Standards etc, and normally with engine swaps, the new engine will need to meet the pollution requirements of what ever engine was the stricter rules/later model, as your 3L was from 2001, and TD's went up to about 2006, on paper i can't see why you really would need a mod plate.

Personally, id ring transport and explain the situation, i assume the workshop wrote down the new engine number on the roadworthy and so it would start with TD ? , explain the workshop did the conversion, and it meets the requirements for owner approved engine swaps (with regard to suspension and brakes etc) get that changed and tell them to email you a new copy of the rego papers, then email that to your insurance co so you have a paper trail.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Jdugg27 (10th November 2020), PeeBee (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ,and maybe get your credit card ready, as going from 4 to 6 cylinders, your rego cost is going to be more expensive too
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Jdugg27 (10th November 2020), PeeBee (10th November 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Oh ,and maybe get your credit card ready, as going from 4 to 6 cylinders, your rego cost is going to be more expensive too
    Yeah spewing about that thought it seem'd to good to be true hahha
    Cheers for the helpful information mate appreciate it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdugg27 For This Useful Post:

04OFF (12th November 2020), PeeBee (10th November 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From QLD Transport..

Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of vehicle may be fitted without specific approval or the fitment of a modification plate. For such conversions, all components, including suspension and brakes, must be identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with the optional engine. No modification plate is required to be fitted.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Ve...#replaceengine

This is where you can get trapped, as the conversion still needs to meet ADRs and Australian Standards etc, and normally with engine swaps, the new engine will need to meet the pollution requirements of what ever engine was the stricter rules/later model, as your 3L was from 2001, and TD's went up to about 2006, on paper i can't see why you really would need a mod plate.

Personally, id ring transport and explain the situation, i assume the workshop wrote down the new engine number on the roadworthy and so it would start with TD ? , explain the workshop did the conversion, and it meets the requirements for owner approved engine swaps (with regard to suspension and brakes etc) get that changed and tell them to email you a new copy of the rego papers, then email that to your insurance co so you have a paper trail.
    Its a bit of a grey area, here in Vic it was. When I did the conversion, All that Vic Roads care about was that I had proof that the TD was a factory option. I showed them a print out of the original flyer from 2001 and they were happy. Weren't interested in a mod plate. But, the engineer told me while this is true, any welding that is done to the chassis will then require to be inspected and certified by an engineer. Getting new engine mounts welded on then technically require this.

I ended up getting the entire vehicle inspected, the conversion, 4inch lift, and upped my GVM to 3160( or there abouts) KG. The GVM went higher due to the factory TD being heavier than a ZD, and also I removed the rear dickie seats and seat belts. This gave me and extra 160kgs too. Brake and swerve tests were done and past with flying colours.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mudski, as i have experienced first hand, black and white can soon turn into grey in QLD as well, its the old "officers interpretation" of the rules against yours, not fun pleading your case when your on the side of the road on your way to a holiday.

The problem ive experienced is, they don't actually know all the rules they are enforcing as there are so many, its quite frustrating following the rules, then being defected for what is a legal modification, i soon learnt to carry print outs of all the rules that applied to my car, trick is not to let them tell you what does not meet standards/rules, but straight away, politely explain and present all the papers one by one, you don't want to make anyone to loose face by you proving them wrong.

If you car is highly illegal, or you fail the "attitude test" miserably, then you can expect defects anyway...... but know the rules (and have written evidence) don't act like a dick, and "most" officers (Cops and DOT) ive found are decent people and can be quite reasonable.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

jack (13th November 2020), MB (12th November 2020), mudski (13th November 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes mudski, as i have experienced first hand, black and white can soon turn into grey in QLD as well, its the old "officers interpretation" of the rules against yours, not fun pleading your case when your on the side of the road on your way to a holiday.

The problem ive experienced is, they don't actually know all the rules they are enforcing as there are so many, its quite frustrating following the rules, then being defected for what is a legal modification, i soon learnt to carry print outs of all the rules that applied to my car, trick is not to let them tell you what does not meet standards/rules, but straight away, politely explain and present all the papers one by one, you don't want to make anyone to loose face by you proving them wrong.

If you car is highly illegal, or you fail the "attitude test" miserably, then you can expect defects anyway...... but know the rules (and have written evidence) don't act like a dick, and "most" officers (Cops and DOT) ive found are decent people and can be quite reasonable.
    Yep. I was stopped by Mr.Plod on his trail bike just out of Mansfield a couple of years back. I had all the papers with me, just waiting for this moment, I was polite, told him the entire vehicle is Engineered by a VASS approved engineer, he said no worries and thank you for your time. I then asked if he want to see the papers and he said no need mate have a good day. Dammit! I wanted to show my papers....

Being polite and not a dick does go along way.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

04OFF (13th November 2020), jack (13th November 2020), MB (14th November 2020), Rossco (13th November 2020)