Thread: Should I buy this Patrol?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the hose or pipes are not blocked. There should be a pressure relief valve in the circuit, maybe thats the culprit, as the pump can be heard going over the relief if you turn the wheel to hard lock - this would tell you if the relief is working or not. I think these systems run at around the 1500-1800psi - big pressure for a tiny hose clamp. Check the hose is correctly rated for the duty and if its the pressure side of the pump, consult the manual to see if the connections should be crimped or similar.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (27th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Check the hose or pipes are not blocked. There should be a pressure relief valve in the circuit, maybe thats the culprit, as the pump can be heard going over the relief if you turn the wheel to hard lock - this would tell you if the relief is working or not. I think these systems run at around the 1500-1800psi - big pressure for a tiny hose clamp. Check the hose is correctly rated for the duty and if its the pressure side of the pump, consult the manual to see if the connections should be crimped or similar.
    On my '94 high pressure line from the pump to the steering gear is properly rated high pressure hose and is professionally crimped. The return line to the reservoir and the suction side to the pump are only clamped by the screw type hose clamps. The suction hose is a larger diameter hose than the return line to the reservoir.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The line that is splitting is the smaller diameter hose, I did buy new hose from SCA and that split, so maybe I need rated hose for return line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAwesomer27 View Post
    The line that is splitting is the smaller diameter hose, I did buy new hose from SCA and that split, so maybe I need rated hose for return line?

With the engine running, and the steering wheel at either of the full lock positions, can you hear the relief valve in operation - its distinctive, like a metallic buzzing sound? What you are telling us is the pressure line is splitting, and you have replaced it from Supercheap? The pressure line would normally have crimped fittings to cope with the high pressure, not hose clamps, but if the hose is splitting you have obviously go enough grip on the hose.The return line would be bigger to allow for a reduced pressure in the system, so its unlikely this is the problem in my opinion.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the engine running, and the steering wheel at either of the full lock positions, can you hear the relief valve in operation - its distinctive, like a metallic buzzing sound? What you are telling us is the pressure line is splitting, and you have replaced it from Supercheap? The pressure line would normally have crimped fittings to cope with the high pressure, not hose clamps, but if the hose is splitting you have obviously go enough grip on the hose.The return line would be bigger to allow for a reduced pressure in the system, so its unlikely this is the problem in my opinion.
    Any idea where I would get high pressure hose from or where to get it crimped?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAwesomer27 View Post
    Any idea where I would get high pressure hose from or where to get it crimped?

I am trying to help you get to the source of the problem. You need to rule out that the pressure relief valve is not faulty, hence why I am asking about the noise on full lock. If the valve is not operating, you may be developing more pressure than the hoses can withstand. For hoses with crimped ends, head to the likes of ENZED or PIRTEK, but I would be ruling out the pressure relief first. Are you able to put a pressure gauge on a TEE into the pressure line to measure the pressure, then compare it to the manual specs?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to help you get to the source of the problem. You need to rule out that the pressure relief valve is not faulty, hence why I am asking about the noise on full lock. If the valve is not operating, you may be developing more pressure than the hoses can withstand. For hoses with crimped ends, head to the likes of ENZED or PIRTEK, but I would be ruling out the pressure relief first. Are you able to put a pressure gauge on a TEE into the pressure line to measure the pressure, then compare it to the manual specs?
    Oh sorry, yeah it does make a sound when on full lock, also it usually blows on full lock. I don't know of anyone with pressure gauge.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I am thinking the valve is not able to unload the pressure or your pump pressure is too high. I don't know if it is adjustable or not.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I am thinking the valve is not able to unload the pressure or your pump pressure is too high. I don't know if it is adjustable or not.
    I got the pressure section of the line professionally made up, and I've had no leaks so far.20190118_090917.jpeg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrAwesomer27 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (29th January 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12