Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    The Millweld 4" snorkel requires an almost L shaped cut out of the guard. I had a Nissan snorkel before fitting my Millweld and it required large amounts of panel surgery. Also if you are going for one with a RAM head the RAM is not a 4" rather 3" and sits inside the stainless pipe. See below for the difference.

Attachment 69064

I should also mention I believe just about all 4" snorkel require large amounts of panel surgery just depends on the manufacturer and if they worked out a better design that requires less.
    Kind of defeats the major point of a ram head putting it inside the pipe....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=gubigfish;696109]The Millweld 4" snorkel requires an almost L shaped cut out of the guard. I had a Nissan snorkel before fitting my Millweld and it required large amounts of panel surgery. Also if you are going for one with a RAM head the RAM is not a 4" rather 3" and sits inside the stainless pipe. See below for the difference.

Attachment 69064

Hi Fish you will find that there is two types of millweld snorkels one like yourself sits more flush than mine in photo above I only had to cut a pear shaped hole in my guard
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MB (19th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Oh 6.5 chevs...... Do you still remember some of the ideas we gave you when we were down there @MB ?
    Maybe stubborn, most definitely forgot :-( Twas midnight on the second night of meetup Mr NNB :-) I believe we were all tired until the the 4.2TD12mm Borg test run ;-)
    I'm still apologising to neighbours for your rally expertise ;-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (14th September 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil and Rainsey, firstly the oil cooler fitted with the conversion sits on the under side floor next to the chassis rail on the passenger side - so far I don't feel there are any issues with oil capacity. I have a standard Safari snorkel - the engine seems to have enough "air", just keep the K&N oiled filter serviced regularly. I agree with the comment on the "ordinary" exhaust - now have a 3" mandrel bent system from a reputable muffler shop in Liverpool. If you have a Garrett turbo and you feel that the boost is coming in too late, a 0.63 a/r on the exhaust side will fix it - spinning up nicely at around 1400- 1600 rpm - boost now up to 16psi. Hope this is helpful.

regards

Peter

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterc99 For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016), rainsey (16th September 2016), Ropes (29th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi Phil and Rainsey, firstly the oil cooler fitted with the conversion sits on the under side floor next to the chassis rail on the passenger side - so far I don't feel there are any issues with oil capacity. I have a standard Safari snorkel - the engine seems to have enough "air", just keep the K&N oiled filter serviced regularly. I agree with the comment on the "ordinary" exhaust - now have a 3" mandrel bent system from a reputable muffler shop in Liverpool. If you have a Garrett turbo and you feel that the boost is coming in too late, a 0.63 a/r on the exhaust side will fix it - spinning up nicely at around 1400- 1600 rpm - boost now up to 16psi. Hope this is helpful.

regards

Peter
    Peter,

Thanks for the info. But ... Just for the dummies ( me that is) what is a 0.63 a/r?

I'm sure I need one .... The fact that I asking what it is means I need one.... But to get one I need to know what one is?

Kindest Regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, latest fuel economy figures ...

Took the truck and TVAN up to the Wattagans via Ourimbah State Forrest. Did not hold back on the right foot and at times forgot the camper was behind me. Up some pretty steep terrain in low range ....

Filled up, post off road with about 200Km of on road .. 16.77l/100Km.

Currently averaging 15.35l/100Km. I am over the moon. Typically after or during towing the camper with the ZD30 I am up in the 18 to 20's. Mate of mine has a 100 series, albeit pretty pimped, and he averages around town in the mid 16's.

Yeah baby... I do not think I am going to look back with this conversion. For those on other forums, no it is not a Duramax or a Cummins and it is definitely not a speedster but it ticks the boxes that I was after.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (17th September 2016), Kimbo63 (16th September 2016), MB (17th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Kind of defeats the major point of a ram head putting it inside the pipe....
    Sure does I don't know why they supply a 4" snorkel with that small a RAM head, especially when the one I purchased was easily gettable from a number of sources.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    Sure does I don't know why they supply a 4" snorkel with that small a RAM head, especially when the one I purchased was easily gettable from a number of sources.
    Please do take care GUbigfish.
    Our wagon with an inferior "I believe" 'Airtec' has approx 5mm 'back drain' and has experienced blockage in torrential rain problems. My utes 'Safari' has I guesstimate 15mm of free vortex? never a drama :-) !!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (17th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Also, latest fuel economy figures ...

Took the truck and TVAN up to the Wattagans via Ourimbah State Forrest. Did not hold back on the right foot and at times forgot the camper was behind me. Up some pretty steep terrain in low range ....

Filled up, post off road with about 200Km of on road .. 16.77l/100Km.

Currently averaging 15.35l/100Km. I am over the moon. Typically after or during towing the camper with the ZD30 I am up in the 18 to 20's. Mate of mine has a 100 series, albeit pretty pimped, and he averages around town in the mid 16's.

Yeah baby... I do not think I am going to look back with this conversion. For those on other forums, no it is not a Duramax or a Cummins and it is definitely not a speedster but it ticks the boxes that I was after.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

I think I hate you... nah, just joking.

I'm not getting anything like that but then again my gearbox is a 4L85 Auto, my Van is around 2 tons and most of my figures were with 35's.
    Bottom line is that I don't really care as the the vehicle is what it is.
    Agree the 6.5 has to be one of the slowest revving engines ever produced but, meah, thems the breaks.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (19th September 2016), rainsey (17th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Please do take care GUbigfish.
    Our wagon with an inferior "I believe" 'Airtec' has approx 5mm 'back drain' and has experienced blockage in torrential rain problems. My utes 'Safari' has I guesstimate 15mm of free vortex? never a drama :-) !!
    Thanks MB all good, bought a Donaldson one to replace the one supplied by millweld http://www.westernfilters.net.au/4-A...inlet-102mm-4/
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

MB (19th September 2016)

Page 30 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast