Thread: Recommended Lift Kit For My Y61 gu Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended Lift Kit For My Y61 gu Patrol

Hey guys, i am looking into getting a lift kit for my y61 Patrol but cant decide which to go with. I am thinking 2 or 3" but cant decide as all the info i read on each brand and size have both pro's and con's. I am going to be 4wding in a lot of rocky terrain but also a bit of sand here and there, I also want a comfortable drive on the roads too. Any advice will be appreciated.adv

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to quantify what others gauge as a comfortable ride, as the weight carried in your car could vary by as much as 500Kg to another and peoples views of comfortable vary a lot. Do you have any mates with Patrols and similar lifts and similar weight - go out with them and see if their suspension ride works for you.

I know that with my first GU, the sales Rep took me out in his car and that sold me on the Old Man Emu kit at the time. It was soft and plush, and I would have called the ride super comfortable, but loaded up it dropped a fair bit in the rear.

Now I run heavier rated springs do that when the car is unladen it is a bit harsh, but it is fantastic when it is all loaded up - so I think anyway, as I hate having a bum dragger as a car.

I can thoroughly recommend Kings Springs and Koni Shocks, as I have run them for years, but I also liked the Old Man Emu gear as well.

Rocky terrain you want to be as high up as possible to clear over the rocks - sand driving doesn't matter - so 2 inches would be fine.

There is also a large cost difference between a true 2 inch and 3 inch lift, as there are more components that need to be changed for a 3 inch lift.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate, very helpfull info.

another question, would you recommend foam cell or gas charged shocks?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Old Man Emu Gas Charged every day of teh week

Foam Cell are junk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does old man emu do a kit with the gas charged shocks and springs together?
    Last edited by MyTrol; 9th January 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are unsure what you really want in lift size, a cheap option for 1-3 months is fit 2" spacers to the top of the springs, your standard shocks should be able to handle this for a short period anyway, this will help you gauge the height you need for rocks etc, 2" lift & 33's will get you most places, if it is not working then you know you need to go higher, if you are reasonably mechanically minded they are easy to fit front & rear, rear takes 15-20 minutes only, then you can make an educated quess on how big you really want/need to go, a 3" lift may require the rear brake line to be replaced, this is not the case on mine but I was lucky, 4" & above need considerably more mods & pricing starts to climb for a safe ride, take into account before purchasing any lift kit what you are actually doing & carrying, this is extremely important as steel bullbars & winches are heavy, choice of product is always personal, I am a Toughdog fan for bush bashing but I punish them mercilessly, Old Man Emu are a fantastic longterm touring system & for most 4wding,
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (9th January 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    if you are unsure what you really want in lift size, a cheap option for 1-3 months is fit 2" spacers to the top of the springs, your standard shocks should be able to handle this for a short period anyway, this will help you gauge the height you need for rocks etc, 2" lift & 33's will get you most places, if it is not working then you know you need to go higher, if you are reasonably mechanically minded they are easy to fit front & rear, rear takes 15-20 minutes only, then you can make an educated quess on how big you really want/need to go, a 3" lift may require the rear brake line to be replaced, this is not the case on mine but I was lucky, 4" & above need considerably more mods & pricing starts to climb for a safe ride, take into account before purchasing any lift kit what you are actually doing & carrying, this is extremely important as steel bullbars & winches are heavy, choice of product is always personal, I am a Toughdog fan for bush bashing but I punish them mercilessly, Old Man Emu are a fantastic longterm touring system & for most 4wding,

Thanks Morton, i have decided on 2". do you have the tough dog foam cell shocks? if so how do you find them?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTrol View Post
    does old man emu do a kit with the gas charged shocks and springs together?
    Hi mate.

Old Man Emu IS the complete balanced package built in Australia, For Australian conditions with Matched sets of hi end Coils and Nitro Charger Gas shocks! The Best coin you will ever spend on your car if you are happy with 2". Stop Looking, OME all the way.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate.

Old Man Emu IS the complete balanced package built in Australia, For Australian conditions with Matched sets of hi end Coils and Nitro Charger Gas shocks! The Best coin you will ever spend on your car if you are happy with 2". Stop Looking, OME all the way.
    X2. Just get the spring rates matched to your vehicle setup or future setup and you'll be set.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys - how much for an OME 2" lift (springs and shocks) fitted in your opinion?

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast