Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideas for members wanting a Custom Made Canopy

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...m+canopy+ideas
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pod

Im using a tablet not sure how to load pictures

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Im using a tablet not sure how to load pictures
    I wasn't sure either, probably depends upon what app you are using on the tablet to access the forum. FWIW I just checked using wife's iPad. I just opened the browser, navigated to the forum & found that doing it that way that uploading a pic is just the same as on my laptop. Click on 'Go Advanced & either use the insert pic icon above, or the manage attachments below. Hope that helps.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went to Alice and picked mine up last week. 2014 only 118K Km. Drive her home with the young fella. Now the deck out.

BA3C6577-B9EF-4E27-B2C6-2820B34CB975.jpegB7138E83-9A71-4BCB-94BA-5536D1EC7654.jpeg

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChadGU For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th March 2019), DX grunt (10th March 2019), FNQGU (5th March 2020), MB (10th March 2019), Plasnart (10th March 2019), rusty_nail (9th March 2019), threedogs (28th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ChadGU

Nice Rig. Buying the ute was the cheap part, in my case. I know squat about lotsa stuff and paid for it all - but very happy.

I look forward to reading your build.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

ChadGU (11th March 2019), Mc4by (11th March 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you are right there is a lot more to do. The reason i went the ex-Telstra setup one was because it has already had a fair bit of the expensive stuff done. Good canopy, Dual battery, Water tank, lift kit etc. etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChadGU For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (11th March 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day all,

Just picked up a 2013 GU Patrol 3.0lt TD Cab Chassis about 2wks ago . . . . this ain't an Ex-Telstra truck but an Ex-Electricity Authority.

It has a AUSTRALIAN WORK AND LEISURE CANOPIES fitted to it.

I picked this up already fitted out with:
    - Internal Shelves
    - Heavy Duty 12v Power Supply to Canopy
    - Ladder Rack
    - 150Lt Water Tank & Pump
    - Pest Control Spray System (Removed b Me)
    - PVC Tubes
    - Dual Battery System
    - WARN Winch
    - UHF Radio
    - NSW GRN Radio Harness
    - Mobile Phone Bluetooth

Added by myself so far:
    - Amateur Radio
    - Up Graded UHF Radio
    - 8" tablet/Navigator
    - Upgraded Mobile Phone Cradle
    - Assessory Power Distribution Board in Canopy Areaa (work still in progress)
    - Fridge.

Looking the the following Mod's in the next month or so:
    - Car Alarm/Central Locking Up-grade
    - Cruise Control.
    - LED warning Light up-grade
    - Auxbeam Electronic Switch Control System
    - Roof OzTent/Cargo Cage
    - Re-plumb Water Pump
    - Bush Shower Outlet.
    - Side/Rear Scene Lighting
    - UHF Radio Point within canopy area for events.

For 15 years I have worked as a Events Medic, so intend to use the Ute for both Work and Play, work wise with it's shelving this Ute will allow me to fit it out as a "Mobile First Aid Post" and carry all my Medic Equipment - Trauma Kits, OxyGen Kit, Oxygen Supplies, Spine Board, general first aid supplies etc under the rear canopy.

Play side of things, still plenty of storage area for: OzTent, Tent Poles, Gas 2 Burner Stove, Fishing Rod Storage etc, Recovery Gear, Portable Table etc, so looking forward to getting the Patrol setup for Work and Play needs.

But I've notice many of the Ex-Telstra trucks shown in this thread have fold down steps coming off the back Tow Bar, that's one thing I am keen to find or have made up, as my Patrol has nothing in the way as a step up aid at the rear to reach the top of the Canopy Roof area, which would be helpful.

Cheers

Grant

78983435_10216557665159564_6473181057045757952_o.jpg
    79755631_10216605952606720_1825909615368339456_n.jpg
    Last edited by Grant209; 28th December 2019 at 12:08 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th December 2019), FNQGU (5th March 2020), MB (30th December 2019), PeeBee (28th December 2019), threedogs (28th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, the rear steps on my ex Telstra were one of the first things I removed & I don't miss them. I considered them unnecessary weight & something to bang my shins on! However my pod has a rear 'shelf' which the twin spares sit on. With the rear bar above the window to hold it is easy to stand on the towbar & step up onto the 'shelf'. At the time I tried to give'em away, but no takers so they went into the scrap metal bin.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi there was a member a few years back [rafa] I think, who did remote medical calls
    in the top end. From memory had a Maginolini pod on top fully airconed..
    The Patrol was not up to extra weight and fell apart .I think he brought a 4x4 Iveco
    apologies for dissing the patrol lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TD, I believe you are correct about Rafa's name. I have always wondered how he went with the Iveco. I must admit we have done a fair amount of looking & research on getting ourselves an Iveco based camper truck/expedition vehicle. I also know someone who has an Iveco based Traveltruck Scrubmaster. After reading far too many reports about problems they have & very poor backup from Iveco for the 4wd Daily models (on a par or possibly worse than Nissan!) we have determined that whilst on paper they look wonderful that A) you need deepish pockets to buy one, & even deeper pockets to own/run one, & the real kicker being that I just would not trust one for remote travel. Some folk manage to do this & have either been lucky, or have an extensive knowledge of both the mechanicals & the computerised electronics, far too many have come to grief. Our friends have never been stranded in remote areas, but have had to pay out many thousands of dollars to ensure they have safe brakes, a transfer case which doesn't self destruct etc etc. The latest models have all the 4wd train made by a different company than the unreliable earlier models (which were made by 'SCAM' in Italy & bought in by Iveco), & promise to be better, but they have also changed from a live front axle to IFS which itself is copping criticism.

As you know, our Patrol & Tvan used for fulltime travel are heavy, running at around 5.1t with all tanks etc full, ('Vehicle only' at just below it's extended GVM of 3.9t including Tvan towball weight) & to date the only damage caused potentially by the weight has been a broken rear leaf spring on the 'boulder intense' Munja track, but even then the 'military wrap' got us a further 1000kms on some of the worst corrugations we've been on before we could replace the broken spring. You may also recall that in the past I suggested that us not having to drive to a schedule, & thus travelling at a fairly sedate pace would go some way to mitigating the risk of damage caused by weight. I stand by that assertion.

There is no question that the Iveco Daily 4x4's have a great deal to commend them & much as my heart would love one, my head say's stick with the Patrol.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 29th December 2019 at 07:55 AM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast